Advice please

Watto

Howdo. I'm new to this game. Am about to buy a BSA Lightningafter having this gun recommended to me by a mate. Can anyone tell me a good place to get this gun as cheaply as possible. I would like it fitted with a silencer, scope and scope mounts ideally.

Thanks in advance

welcome mate.

if you look in Airgunner Magazine a few shops advertise, i'll try and fork out afew after for you, but i havn't got a copy on me.. Ramsbottoms seem good from what i remember..

there are many shops that will do you the whole package, the BSA Lightening is a great gun and i'm absolutely sure it comes with Silencer fitted already.. very nice silencer too.

Aled

Welcome to the site Watto,

Have a look at www. uttings.com

plenty of combos to choose from and good service as well.

a lightening with scope mounts etc are advertized at approx £225.-£235 depending on the caliber you go for.

Have a look see!

Regards Sutty :lol::lol:

don't bother with it, i had a bsa lighning .22 for years and it wasnt that good, the silencer doesnt do much to the sound either and because its lighter (not by much) than most guns the recoil does seem a little worse than most springers. I got a gamo 1000 .177 and its alor better imo. Was out with it this morning getting sub 1" at 30yrds which isnt bad but its only fired about 50 pellets so its gona improve after say 500 maybe 1000.

id go for my gamo over my old lighning any day :lol:

the lightning is fairly accurate and you can carry it arround all day though, up to you.

for shooting birds and rabbits etc.. a .22 is the best weapon though.. .177 can only just kill starlings and the odd pigeon :lol::lol::lol:

.22 just knocks down them all... even when my .177 is 11.9 ft/lbs and the .22 being about 7.5 ft/lbs

the Lightning is the same as the BSA Supersport but with a silencer and no open sights

Aled

no Aled.. Gamo 'OWNS' BSA, they are now run by gamo, thats why parts of old bsa guns are like rockin horse **** because gamo dont make all the parts. Unless my gun shop is lieing.

I dont care about woodwork, i got a synthetic stock. And as i have owned both gamo and BSA i think i can comment on my shadow 1000 being better than a bsa lightning. Plus i dont like the BBMF silencer it did naff all to the sound of it. About .177 vs .22 if your a good enough shot then .177 is better imo, dont have to worry about trajectory of longer shots but .22 you can get away with chest shots depending on what your shooting.

buy a weirauch hw77, i use my dads old ones, they are 20+ years old, they are still shooting about 11ftlb's and can do 1 hole groups at 30 yards, i was shooting those wisky bottle lids at 25 yards every shot, not bad if you ask me after 20 years of not being shot, however is a tad heavy.......but you wont find a better made airgun, but as 1 of 5 says, go and see a local club, or at least find someone who knows what they are talkng about and are impartial to what you buy and talk to them in the flesh

I dont care about woodwork, i got a synthetic stock.

AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Sacrelidge (spelling?).

The feel of the woodwork is a beauty to behold. I have a cheap Chinese gun which I consider a tool, nothing more and the woodwork is s**te.

It is accurate and powerful but thats it. I expect it to fall apart in a year or so.

Next on the list is a gun which I can "bond with" (does this make me wierd?).

Part of that is getting good wood. :lol:

buy a weirauch hw77, i use my dads old ones, they are 20+ years old, they are still shooting about 11ftlb's

The first gun I ever shot was a B.S.A. meteor which was 15 years old 20 years ago. I lost the open sight on it and had to guess the target. I was only firing darts at 10 yards but I was quite good as I remember!!

>a .22 is the best weapon though.. .177 can only just kill starlings and the odd pigeon

Aled, thats ****! Sorry to be blunt but .177 can do anything a .22 can in capable hands.

If your after an air rifle and are set on a lightening (they are pretty pants for the money) then it would have to be an online retailer if you want the cheapest.

Accuracy is still only gonna be as good as the user, I would reckon range wise it should be good for 50yrds

But at the end of the day within reason the range is as good as the shot, i.e. if you cant get a 5p sized group at 25yrds then you arn't gonna be able to consistently kill stuff at that range. But if you can clover leaf it at 50 yrds then vermin at this range shouldn't be a problem. Although obviously you also have to bear in mind the power left in the pellet at the range you are shooting.

HW77 is an excelant bit oh kit IMHO

Dave

My friend who I shoot with has one. They are very good and a lovely feel to them.

But I am still a better shot than he is.

Oh yes that gives me a smug sense seeing as his gun cost 4 times more than mine!! :lol:

Same as most sports the skills are more important than the equipment unless you are a poser. However it is nice to have both in an ideal world

Dave

for shooting birds and rabbits etc.. a .22 is the best weapon though.. .177 can only just kill starlings and the odd pigeon :sly:  :lol:  :lol:

.22 just knocks down them all... even when my .177 is 11.9 ft/lbs and the .22 being about 7.5 ft/lbs

the Lightning is the same as  the BSA Supersport but with a silencer and no open sights

Aled

aled shut your face boy :< .177's are just as good as .22's maybe even better

a flatter flight path and less drop off.

cant kill hey tell that to the rabbits. :D:lol:

ferreting6am005.jpg

campsitelamping0066hp.jpg

campsiteian0066av.jpg