My journey to the big smoke

henry d

I didn`t get attacked by Eastern Europeans or Muslims, hounded by tramps, but I did get to have a good gander around Parliament. WOW........that`s the best way to describe it.

St.Stephens entrance is just a door but it leads onto the huge hall with all the plaques that detail many of the important events that happened there then onto Central lobby through another hall which has amazing statues and painted friezes but it`s central lobby that blows you away, all the statues of past monarchs and the mozaics of the patron saints :good:??? :(

Seriously, if you go to London get a tour of parliament, preferably with your MP, and better still after lunch so you can cadge a beer of them in the Strangers bar, which as it happens they have to pay for as visitors cannot buy there :mad:

Well recommended.

I didn`t get attacked by Eastern Europeans or Muslims, hounded by tramps, but I did get to have a good gander around Parliament. WOW........that`s the best way to describe it.

St.Stephens entrance is just a door but it leads onto the huge hall with all the plaques that detail many of the important events that happened there then onto Central lobby through another hall which has amazing statues and painted friezes but it`s central lobby that blows you away, all the statues of past monarchs and the mozaics of the patron saints :good:??? :(

Seriously, if you go to London get a tour of parliament, preferably with your MP, and better still after lunch so you can cadge a beer of them in the Strangers bar, which as it happens they have to pay for as visitors cannot buy there :mad:

Well recommended.

Were you a London virgin before Tuesday?

You see it's nice down South ???

Did you get to meet up with anyone H?

I tried to get to see poacher, but unfortunately(possibly fortunately for him) we managed to find another Scottish MP to lobby over and above those we had meetings in Portcullis house with, so the day stretched out somewhat............an extra 3 hrs !!

Were you a London virgin before Tuesday?

No I did visit regularly before that, usually in the winter for shows and visiting museums and galleries and the like, however we haven`t been for about 4 years now, so it was nice to see the anti war protesters are still camped out in Parliament square and are still barking, we even saw one of them getting arrested, however it seemed that it was more a stunt to get people to stop and take notice :(

Before this visit my fave places were the V&A and the Tate :good:

Mandy, however is a totally different kettle of slime.

Is the correct term not 'bucket of slime'.

I'm not a big fan of London but did spend a great afternoon in the National Gallery just off

Trafalgar square.

You can hire one of those recorded guide machines which gives a lot of the history and hidden

meanings/signals in the paintings. Makes the whole experience a lot more interesting.

A good thing to do on your own as you can just wander round at your own pace.

Nial.

i went there severial times with a banner in my hand ? that was enough for me try to avoid th place

same here,

the last few times I went, walked and came straight back,

Mrs bobt convinced me to have a weekend there last year, to see a couple of shows. I was suprised how grubby London is.

as my wife's family are southern soft **** I get down to London fairly regularly its nice to see so many cultures and nationalities, Aussies serving headless lukewarm pigswill behind bars, flip flops and eastern Europeans working in hotels and coffee bars etc,coloured chaps who for some reason keep calling you "Charlie"? and I am always impressed by the entrepreneurial cockneys as they politely ask " spare a parned guv" and then of course there is that massive staging post which focuses the dregs of humanity together , you know thieves, fraudsters, bum bandits etc ( its next to that big bridge at westminster and has a big clock on it.)

cheers KW

I'm not a big fan of London but did spend a great afternoon in the National Gallery just off

Trafalgar square.

I am not an art buff of any sort, but that is one of the few free things in London that I was moved by, standing in front of original works of art you have only ever seem cheap prints of is enough to make you stop and stare.

The Eye was a bit of a disappointment to me, but right round the corner, again free, the Imperial War Museum was a well spent afternoon.

London isn't far from us, but having worked there on and off a while ago I tend to avoid it unless there is a good reason to go there.