A bit of the black stuff!

Steve

Is it just me or does anybody else enjoy a good day decoying crows?  There's something really satisfying about bringing down these wary *******.   :evil:

My favourite tactic is to set up an owl deek (crows hate owls) and a few crow deeks around it as if attacking.  Get into a hide nearby with gun and crow call, and shoot them as they come in to help their buddies.  :)

If pigeon shooting is slow in your area, have a go at the crows!

Steve

its getting near that time when crows are causing asmuch if not more damage than pigeons , on new sown fields . i had a call from a farmer 3 weeks ago who had sown barley on a 2 acre field ,he said every crow in the area was there (he wasn't far wrong) . sunday morning at 5.30  i was ready , decoys out , hide up gun loaded  ........   and yes they came||| in a force 5 gale at about 50 yards high , some made the mistake of comming low over the hedge but most were well out of range . i packed up at 12 then returned at 15:30 and finished the day with 82 .

I know what you are saying.  Lazza and I had a couple of hours decoying some crows back in October after the farmer ask Lazza to sort them out as they were growing numbers.  We set up in the dark which was an interesting experience in a deep ditch in the corner of a field right in the flight line.  We had 1 plastic crow and one dead bird set in the field.  The birds stared coming in at first light and we bagged approx seventeen in the first 11/2 hours before we had driven them away. The farmers pleased to say that they haven’t been back in great numbers since (shame for us).   It was some of the most rewarding shooting we had done.

:laugh:

Kev

PS. we didn’t miss many either I think it was a bit of blood lust.

Hiya All

I was surprised when we were shooting the crows,that the sound of the shot did'nt put the crows off. If we took a shot at one,  the one following it kept coming.And of course the other thing about crows is that their slow.Which helps when you shoot like Kev and myself!! :) The other thing was we never left the hide.If they see you you've had it!By the way on this occasion we never used a magnet,as I've seen too many crows veer off from it.

just get the crow decoys from any gun shop they are usually Sportplast . i only use 5 then put out the ones i've shot . if you have a bobba then put one on that about 30 yds back from your pattern .most shops that sell DEBEN will have a crow call but i only use one if they are  shying away at the last min

Hi

Lazza and I were decoying a maze game strip on Saturday and I dropped a crow Early on so I sat it out in the grass fields at about 30 Yards.  By the dinnertime id bagged 4 one of which was at about 60 Yards according to Lazza.  Unfortunately I pricked two others that made it up to the woods never to be seen again by me only the fox.  I don’t really like pricking birds and not finding them.  But I have to say they were rewarding to shoot.

Kev

:)

Well i've got all the gear now including a bloody great owl deek!! The two calls i've bought are an ACME and a LOHMAN the Lohman sounds perfect the Acme sounds like a party popper NOT RECOMMENDED. The Crow busters web site has been very useful and the lohman call mimics the downloads of crow voices very well, anyway must go the missus is getting a bit aggy with me being on this web site all the time !!

hoppy when using a acme crow call don`t just blow through it you have to use your diaphram and sort of growl , like you are trying to clear your throat it takes a bit of practise but the result is near perfect.my 6 year old daughter has just mastered it after about a week and theres no stopping her now.

mick :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just a quick tip for the crows.  Find out when a field is going to have slurry spread on it, then get out on it during the next day or two.  Crows and seagulls galore!!

I shot a recently spread field on Saturday for a total of 48 crows, 11 seagulls, 1 magpie and 1 woodie.   :)

• 1 month later...

Just had a great few days shooting crows, who needs to decoy them when you can just shoot them out of the trees, just now they are just at the fledgling stage & are sitting ducks, no pun intended.Great few days, thanks PC & Resolve :)  :)  :D  :D