20g v 12g

cooky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shells are more pricey than a 12, also you are usually chucking only 7/8oz of lead at the bird as opposed to 1&1/8 oz if you are using a 12.

Do yourself and the birds a favour, stick to a 12 bore, if you speak to the pro's in this sport they wouldn't consider a 20 for serious pigeon shooting.

people say that 20's have less recoil, but they dont, they fire very similar weights of lead, and are often sold in light weight guns, so often have almost as much recoil as a 12, its a matter of preferance, i know lots of people that just cant get on with 20's, not real reason just cant, ive only fired one a handful of times but this is my understanding

Do yourself and the birds a favour, stick to a 12 bore, if you speak to the pro's in this sport they wouldn't consider a 20 for serious pigeon shooting.

As price of shells there ,i cant say but here not much dif' pending shot size and load .

As to preferance ,a lot of shooters will lean towards carrying the lighter gun around the fields as opposed to the 12 gauge ,a few hours into a shoot and your arms can feel like their dragging the ground, a large number of upland game shooters here prefer the 20g ,or even the 28g ,they both hit well if pointed in the right direction.

As to speaking to the "pro's" there are many guys and girls who shoot as well with a 20g as the 12g , the old saying of "if your on ,you'l hit it " come's to mind .

Not picking on your comments DH just offering an opinion . :lol:

Martin

I have only ever fired a 20 once when a chap handed it to me at a clay shoot and said have a go.

The four shots I fired with it gave me much more kick than any 12 bore I had ever fired. When I mentioned it, he said that was because he was using heavier load cartridges. Personally I have never seen the attraction of owning one.

i find 20g's have more kick.. even if they cost over £5k.. :lol: than a 12g..

the 20g is too light for my liking...

at the end of the day, its up to you.... :lol:

as others have said.. never put a 20g cartridge down a 12g barrel.. a few of my relatives have known people who had a 20 cartridge in their pocket.. loaded it in.. thought the gun was empty after they next fired.. put a 12 down which was ontop of it and have never heard of anyone living to tell the tale. :lol:

Aled

Ive never shot anything lighter than a twelve, even since I started shooting at about 7/8, I've always been a naturally big lad, so found I could handle the weight etc. I suppose I would notice a difference in carrying a twelve around on a driven day, but I've gotten used to a 12 and will probably stay with it for the rest of my life.

enr ,either your getting old or soft :lol::lol: or both :lol: :o

i have a miroku in 20g and like it a lot ,the recoil is slight as the stock is solid ,the other 20g i use is at the range whilst teaching junior and female shooters .

its a franchi 5 shot semi ,light not to long in pull length and little felt recoil, most of the guys i teach like it to start with CUZ IT DONT BITE :P

horses for cources :lol:

Martin

Anyone who wants to see what a 20 bore can really perform like, on the pigeons, can have a day out with me in the summer.

Then there will be no arguement as to its abilities... :lol:

Just ask some of the high driven pheasants it killed today in the gale force winds in North Wales. :lol:

(That said, there was one bloody high drive, with the birds rocketing towards you, and being blown sideways, with tails at 45 degrees, where I only managed 4 kills for 21 shots!!! :*) )

On the whole though, it'll do everything a 12 bore will for Mr. Average.

So there.