20g v 12g

cooky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Aled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :/  ;)  :/  :lol:  :lol:

for once someone agree's with me :lol::lol::lol: :o

na only joking...

i feel a big comparison when handling the 410 after i've been out with the BEEFY 12bore.. apart from it feeling quite weird because of the weight... i sometimes over swing :P with the speed i swing at..

well.. none of us are perfect :lol:

Aled

There cant be that much difference in weight to make a huge difference surely? I'm used to throwing 80-90kg up in the gym when in training for rugby, so do you think I would benefit from a change?

OK lets make it real simple ,Millo you can work out all you want Jess still wont date you :lol: :o but nice try (rugby pun) son :lol::lol: .

as to the speed and swing differance ,all guns act a ittle diferant until you run a few rounds through ,12g,20g,28g,410b, you get used to the weight, length and point of impact swing speed at muzzle and sight picture .

lets akin this to driving your car and your neighbours ,how often would you look for the ignition/lights /wipers in your car ,now do it in your friends

the 12g 20g debate will last longer than most of us ,in the end its a what you feel will do the job ,you will see all international shooters putting 20g loads through a 12g (eg 7/8 oz ,not 1-1/8 as is "average") they hit a 70metre target just as hard .

personaly i like the 20g for a lot of shooting in the field and training purposes for reasons prior posted , Millo if you get the chance take one out i think you'l enjoy the gun ,,, millions do :lol:

Martin

The debate over 12 versus 20 could go on for ever, there are a few things to take into consideration.Physical size of the person is important to consider (no posts from Millomite or Gemma required) a child would be tired carrying a 12 in the field thats why a 20 or 28 would be more suitable, the problem I find with people who complain of recoil with 20's is they invariably are using a load too heavy for the gun,W.W.Greener states that the gun should weigh 96 x the shot weight ideally therefore if you shoot 1oz your gun needs to weigh 6lbs minimum, heavier would reduce the felt recoil.International clayshooting require a maximum of 7/8 oz loads (except ZZ ) which is the standard 20 bore load but competitions are not normally won with 20 bore guns, this may be due to shot pattern performance.Which could lead on to another debate.In short, shoot what you are comfortable with.Happy is the one gun owner.Salopian. :lol:

I used a 20 bore for some years and have friends that only shoot 20, or 16 bores (very efficiently).

The 20 is a lighter gun, easier to swing and comes on to target quicker (IMO).

Its easier to carry around for 6 hours, regardless of how strong you are (or aren't).

The only reason that anyone holding a 20 bore correctly has felt a recoil, is that the cartridges being used were too heavy for the guns weight

The reason I don't shoot one regularly, is that I refuse to use over 28 gm loads in the 20 (I mainly used 24 gm).

For my current shooting needs (and perhaps I'm not as good a shot as I was), I use 30gm loads.

Hence, I use a 12 bore.

As has already been said, this is a matter of personal preference.

But, if you ain't tried it, (or perhaps you have and you ain't good enough)...........don't knock it. :lol:

you dont need to have a 20 to have a fast gun, my baikal has 29 1/4 inch barrels, which are v thin, it is a very odd gun, and very light, it is v fast swinging, comes up incredibly flat, but dosent beat you up despite being lighter than 20's, as far as im concerned 20g is a solution looking for a problem

Down to personal preference.

A guy I clay shoot with gave up a 12g Perazzi to shoot a 20g Famars. He loved the Famars. Said he'd never shoot 12g again.

Then he bought a 20g Beretta and loved that too.

Now he has ordered from Italy, barrels, action and forend for a 20g Perazzi. He is going to choose his own wood and get a stocker to finish the gun for him over here.

Total cost will be around £6000.

He is convinced he will keep this gun 'til he dies.

Me, I always shoot 12g.

Rob.

cheers aled, my baikal is a 25ish yr old hand engraved presentation grade, straight hand stock 12g o/u, i'm not sure of the model number, infact i am very keen to discover someone with a similar gun as it seems to be unique, it is incredably light, probably about a third lghter than an mk70 with 28", the barrels on it are v thin which helps, and it has the baikal action, so its a bit strangely ballenced, but it works well and has many kills under its belt from me, yet alone its previous owner my dad. oh yes fixed chokes as well, cylinder and improved

Okey dokey........(Deako)glad you added your post about geese 20`s and geese do NOT go(use a 10).Next(TLE) 70 mtr "targets"I presume clay.....70 mtr full choke and a live bird I wouldn`t even shoot geese with the 10 at that range.I`d like to see the pattern that a 20 makes at 70 mtrs you could probably put several pigeons through a pattern like that.Lastly recoil......my friend has a 20 and when shooting kills as averagely as the rest of usand says it is the same recoil as his 12(used for vermin and foxes)however he got some 3" mag 32gm yank"shells" and says they kick like a mule.....so it`s back to the96x rule or for the scholars "every action has an equal and opposite re-action" :lol:

I agree with what many people have said, it depends on the shooters build, ability etc. I own a 12 s/s and 20 auto and the auto is in fact heavier which does soak up recoil. I dont doubt the abilities of my 20 as it probably killed more vermin last year than the 12. As white fox said twenty is plenty.

i have an o/u 12 bore for clays/night shooting,a semi-auto the same gauge for decoying and a 16 bore sbs for walked up/driven days.the 16 wins every time,shooting 1/16 ounce loads it is a great gun.i have shot twenty bores on and off for over twenty years and never found one i am happy with in any barrel configuration.

having taken quite a few people shooting for the first time i find that a 12 shooting light loads gives no more recoil than a 20 using moderate ones.may be wrong but i think the tendancy with users of 20s is to over compensate by using heavier loads and getting battered by a light gun.

is right digger,

i have now shot a 20 for the last 6 year's at first i used28g hull sterling and found the recoil not bad on a driven day were you would shoot around 25+ carts but on pigeons did i know about it the day after.

now dropped down to 25g for all shooting and no problem's.

anyway it's not the gun but the person pulling the trigger in my opinion

The gun I use most is a 20 iv had one since I started shooting. The 20 iv got at the moment was given to me and I dont see the point of selling it and buying a 12 even though most people are suprised to see a 17 year old shooting a 20 on the shoot I go beating on. Personally I mostly walk round woods roost shooting or carry the gun around all day without a slip on the annual squirrel shoot so I prefer a lighter gun to carry round and personally I have found that 20s are lighter on the hole their of course are exceptions. I have fired my dads 12 and found it heavy bulky and generally sluggish to swing, on the other hand my mates AYA which is a 12 seams to be about the same weight and I shoot well with it. Iv never really cared when buying a gun whether a gun is a 12 or a 20 just as long as it fits me and how it feels when its in my shoulder I find that most 20s tend to fit better and they seam to feel right every ones different I guess. If I was going wild fowling I would try to get hold of a 12 but I have found that most things die if you hit them in the right place weather your using a 12 or a 20.

All the best

Big dave 17

my old head keeper used to shoot with a 16 and swore by it.he was a bloody good shot,the best i have seen, yet he hated shooting as it gave him no enjoyment at all.

having said that i have seen some very good shots use a twenty bore to great effect.

mark1,totally agree,its the user not the calibre.