20g v 12g

cooky

I was on a pheasant shoot yesterday two lads aged about 11 and 12 were both shooting a 12g, I felt this was a bit young for them but they seemed very capable and were obviously used to it.. I never had a problem with a 12g afterall most 20g loads these days are the full ounce (28g). However one thing I noticed when I borrowed my dad's 12g is that my middle finger (ie behind the trigger guard) took a hammering from it. The most trouble I found was switching from a single trigger o/u 20 to a double trigger s/s, but they both work fine, it was me to blame for the misses (and i like to think of myself as a good shot but this is being reasessed!) of which there were plenty! That said, on the third drive I was going for 5 straight but ruined it by shooting the 5th. :D :*) I am going to have to launch a new war against clays.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.Next(TLE) 70 mtr "targets"I presume clay.....70 mtr full choke and a live bird I wouldn`t even shoot geese with the 10 at that range.I`d like to see the pattern that a 20 makes at 70 mtrs you could probably put several pigeons through a pattern like that.

i beleive the original post was to give the disadvantage's of a 20 to 12 ,my point HD was that

"international shooters putting 20g loads through a 12g (eg 7/8 oz ,not 1-1/8 as is "average") they hit a 70metre target just as hard" the point was load size not gun ,I shoot both.

The differance of patterning from a int 'l load to a average field load 'no comparison, no string/stream to a int load ,therfore no holes " for a clay pigeon (smaller than several normal woodie's ) to fly through,field loads carry a shot string /stream by design ,more holes

Your coment of I would not shoot geese at that range with a 10g is mute ,I wouldn't either :D though many here do with success.the point of my post was that as a good all round light weight gun for upland use on "snipe , hun, pheasant, pigeon "to mention a few,Its a good gun with a lot of capacity and a lot of following the 20 gauge shotgun has a lot of pro's and a few con's.

Cooky find a friend with a 20gauge ,go out and shoot a few make your own decision .

sorry to have started a ******* contest :*)

yours respectfuly .

Martin

Returned to pigeon shooting last year after a long break and for most of the year I used an AYA Cosmos, 20-bore SB, with 1/4 choke. Final tally for the year was 392 for 1,001 shots. Now using a 12-bore SS as I want the second shot but if I could find a 20-bore SS with double triggers for a reasonable sum, I would get it. The shells are more expensive but much lighter when you're lugging all that gear around! Borrow one and see how you get on with it. Clipper.

My father uses a 20 bore after a lifetime of shooting and the 3 geese he got on this mornings flight are testament to the abilities of the gun. He uses a 20 to better effect than most people I know can use a 12 bore.

My father is 74 and spends all his time either wildfowling or pigeon decoying, he has used a 20 for the past nine years and has never regreted giving up his 12, I myself use a 12 and am nowhere near as effective with it.

I think that at the end of the day you should use whatever works for you and if the barrels are pointed at the right spot they should both kill the target just as effectively.

As most regular readers will know I use a 16g for all of my shooting, Pigeon, Game and Rough..

I have several guns in several gauges but I love the 16G and always will...

It is in my opinion the most flexible calibre of them all. Carts are a little more expensive but what the heck.

My best gun is a 16g s/s Austrian non ejector made by Anton Sodia of Ferlach in 1965. It is a beautiful well balanced gun with lovely dark walnut stock and fore-end has a pair of Bohler Blitz barrels and the engraving shows pictures of Rabbit and Woodcock on the side plates and Duck on the trigger plate. It weighs in at just over 61/4LB.

It only cost me 300 sovs but if it were English of similar workmanship would be thousands

Dont discount a 16 G.

FM.

Since I started hunting I guess I'd have to say that 95% of the game I've harvested has been with a 20 gauge. I did shoot a fair amount with a 12 gauge for geese for a while, but can't say I shot that much better with it.

Here in Venezuela I've not had the opporutnity to use my 20 gauge guns because I've not been able to get them imported. I'm stuck for the time being shooting a single shot full choke 16 gauge and I'm not happy with my shooting. I suspect I'm letting the birds get too close, and when they are farther out, I'm probably shooting behind them.

I'll be happy when I can shoot my Ruger O/U or my Browning Semi (both in 20) again.

El Gringo