What caliber? .177 or .22

napier

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok

well .177 i can kill a rabbit at 65 yards with a head shot! with my .22 there is no chance or this as the pellet has no powre at this range. .177 has a flat tragectory to about 50 yards with a .22 it is about 25 yards. i have shot both calibers and i find .177 a better killing tool!!! :lol:

also i have had over 50 people say that .177 is the better caliber!! one of them being the world champioun air rifle targit shooter.

i dont think i've ever heard of a .22 used in target shooting though :lol::lol:

.177 goes further as the weight of the pellet is alot lighter..

65yards for a rabbit with .177.... even i can't believe that.. :lol:

65feet or yards now?

i think there have been many topics on this already in this forum.

look around..

i much prefere any .22 to any .177...

Aled

ok

well .177 i can kill a rabbit at 65 yards with a head shot! with my .22 there is no chance or this as the pellet has no powre at this range. .177 has a flat tragectory to about 50 yards with a .22 it is about 25 yards. i have shot both calibers and i find .177 a better killing tool!!! :lol:

you should do some research mate, if we use air arms field pellets and both cals are shooting at 11.5ftlbs with the gun zeroed at 40yds theses are the chairgun results.

.177 800fps @barrel 7.0"holdover 5.5ftlbs@65yds

.22 569fps @barrel 8.5"holdover 10.5ftlbs@65yds

IMO istops for targets and kills to 45yds, .22 is tops out to 50yds and for fac.

sorry to be rude but if you are shooting live animals @ 65yds with 12ftlbs then you are a cock with no respect for for the lives of your quarry

ok

1. 65 yds - there is sufficient energy in a GOOD .177 pellet to dispartch a rabbit at that range BUT your chances of hitting the correct spot under field conditions is nil.

2. .22 holds is energy better downrange than .177. This is FACT and is basic physics so unless you are disputing Newtons theories saying otherwise is putting you on a hiding to nothing

3. Comparing relative trajectories in the manner you have is meaningless and largely incorrect. Assuming high mounts and 11.5 ft/lb the figures are nearer 31 yds and 40 yds using a half inch radius as an acceptable tolerance. The killzone on your quarry is similar hence the reason for this figure. These figures are subject to change due to a number of reasons such as pellet BC and actual scope height etc.

4. .22 is the better killing tool due to the extra tissue damage it causes, however to first kill the quarry you must first hit the correct spot. This is easier in .177 than .22 by some margin. It is this reason and this reason alone why I recommend .177 over .22. IF you can shoot a .22 well and are prepared to limit your range then .22 is better. Most people can't (shoot .22 well) and won't (limit their range).

65 yards is bull, possibly if its an FAC airgun, but v doubtful

my personal preferance is .22 out of those 2 or .20 over all of them and over them if shooting conditions allowed i would use a rimfire or a centrefire for rabbit control. due to a well moderated centrefire with a cartridge like .22 hornet is actually quite plesantly comfortable even with the sonic crack, which after all canot be got rid of without effectively making a centrefire do rimfire speeds (if that makes sense)

I try never to get on a high horse because when you fall off it hurts!! :lol::lol:

65m is iresponsible but not imposible to dispatch a rabbit with .177.

5.5ftlbs is only 0.5 ftlbs less that the muzzle energy of an air pistol (note it is ilegal to shoot live aminals with air pistols in the uk). A friend of mine shot a fox he had in a rabbit snare with his webley tempest one shot killed it stone dead. We were kids it was iresponsable but the point I was making was that the 5.5ftlbs is enough power to kill a rabbit with a head shot.

10.5ftlbs is more power than somepeople who hunt rabbits have at the muzzle.

the .177 flies flater due to the higer velocity not the weight.

Granted the less weight causes the higher velocity.

Personaly for me it is .177 every time.

Dave

You should never compensate for a lack of accuracy!!

If you are not confident in your own ability it is moraly wrong to shoot live animals!! :lol:

Dave

Oh yes I know what you mean.

I can see that now. I practice when I can to get better. I can get a good grouping but can always do better.

The one thing I promised myself when starting was to eat all I shoot and to be as responsible as I could. I intend to stand by what I promised. To do that I have to get as good a shot as possible, but at the same time I have to start somewhere.

didnt mention quarry there,

i wouldnt chest shot a rabbit or squirrel or advise it either but things like pigeon, magpie, crow i have seen drop from a chest shot 1st shot. This is usually aiming for the top of the chest and only with a confident shot. I saw a maggie drop in 1 from a shot to the neck aswell.