Ordering bullets from abroad

So I'm sure that everyone who shoots has seen that ammunition in the USA is so much cheaper; £2 for 50 22lr & £10 for 20 22-250...

I was looking over the firearms law the other day and I read a bit about Firearms Dealers not being obliged it write your ammunition purchases on the back of your FAC. So does this mean that we can actually have ammunition delivered to our door, in the same way I can have shotgun cartridges delivered?

I will try and find the exact quote from the law book and post it here (200 pages to search through!)

ta,

Will

at the current exchange rate (1.5) you'll not save much if any money by ordering from the US. By the time you factor in shipping (normally $25 or more for intenational orders) plus VAT (which is calculated on the local price, not what you paid) you're right up there with paying local prices. There is no chance that you have an allotment on your ticket for enough 22LR to make it worthwhile monetarily. Plus, the US has started clamping down on export of ammunition, firearms, and firearm parts lately. Some dealers won't even ship internationally now.

If you were going to be in the states for a business or pleasure trip already, then it makes sense to stock up. I will over christmas when I go home. But ordering isn't worth it (until the exchange rate goes back up to 2+).

Thanks,

Rick

The dealer in the US has to have an export licence, you have to have an Import licence ,then there is the courrier to the airport special storage in the customs compound . Customs hazardas transport documintation and hazardas transport from the airport to your house import duty 5% of the total price and 17.5% vat Now do you think that your local dealer is still ripping you off. The profet margin in ammo in the uk is **** the dealers only sell it in the hope that when we go to buy it we buy other things

Before any one askes NO I AM NOT A DEALER or RFD just some one in busness who understands these things

Deershooter

The dealer in the US has to have an export licence, you have to have an Import licence ,then there is the courrier to the airport special storage in the customs compound . Customs hazardas transport documintation and hazardas transport from the airport to your house import duty 5% of the total price and 17.5% vat Now do you think that your local dealer is still ripping you off. The profet margin in ammo in the uk is **** the dealers only sell it in the hope that when we go to buy it we buy other things

Before any one askes NO I AM NOT A DEALER or RFD just some one in busness who understands these things

Deershooter

And if you believe that you will believe in fairies at the bottom of your garden.

While there may not be as much profit in ammunition as there is in petrol gun shops make money out of it. If you are in business you will know that no one does anything for nothing. I have been in my local gunshop probably 12-15 times in the last year and apart from a bottle of gun cleaner have bought nothing but ammo.

How does a company like Just Cartridges survive?

Just cartridges suvives by shear volume. How meny petrol stations are independantly owned now The supermarkets and oil companies own 95% of them

MC, 12 -15 Times in a Year !!!! IF YOU SPEND £150 ON BULLETS EACH TIME AND THE PROFET IS 12% THAT = £18 Per Visit now lets look at the costs

you need 60 people like you a week at least

RENT £150 Week MIN

Rates £72

Wages 2 Staff If we dont have 2 We have to lock the shop to have a pee

£500 per week

National insurance Employees contrubution £90 week

Insurance £40 per week

heat/ LightWater rates £60 per week

monitered alarm cost £25 per week

dealers licencing/ book keeping £10 per week

This is nearly £1000 per week in running costs at £20 per thousand profet 12 gauge cartridges you would have to move 50,000 cartridges a week to break even and there is no where like £20 per thousand profet in cartridges

I have probably missed some costs in this make up

I have seen the trade catalouges for the likes of Deeben ,Edgar, Brothers ,Sportsman ,GMK etc as I was considering setting up as I cannot buy a round of full bore ammo within 20 miles of my town but after doing the sums found it better not to bother.

Try and buy 20000 cartridges the best discount is 5% and free delevery if you are lucky

can any dealers advise!

Deershooter

• 2 weeks later...

I used to buy bullet heads from the US and there was a decent saving, even factoring in the duty, VAT and the outrageous "clearance" fee from the Post Office. However the US has tightened up restrictions and I doubt many exporters would be interested in shipping bullet heads. As for ammunition I don't think you would have much joy there at all. You are unlikely to find anyone who would carry hazardous goods at a rate that was cost effective. Unless you are considering becoming a firearms dealer and importing thousands of rounds I wouldn't bother. By the way not to alarm you but I tried to buy primers here in Canada recently and they are becoming very hard to find. They claim all the manufacturing capacity is being sucked up by the military. I would consider stocking up in the UK as when stocks run out who knows how long it will take to get new supplies in.