I need a mentor to show me the ropes

As I am new to shooting, I would very much appreciate some on-the-field mentoring/guidance. Gaining a permission is not a problem, as I have been reassured by a number of people who are very close to land owners or own land themselves that they will sort this issue out for me. Of course they said they will take me out for shooting too themselves, but most of them do not shoot that often and I do not want to overstretch their kindness by 'forcing' them to get in the field with the sole purpose of me getting experience.

I have spent some time reading books and websites to familiarise myself with the law, quarry species, gun etiquette etc, but there is nothing like the real thing. Any volunteers? Thanks!

It can be very difficult getting experiance of shooting in the field without somebody taking you out and showing you the ropes . Are you talking about game shooting with a shot gun ,or vermin shooting with a rifle ,or may be deer stalking . All these types of shooting require different tecniques and can be quite complex to learn if you want to be a successful hunter . I assume from your post that you are a complete novice .You are going about it the right way by seeking a mentor and i wish you the best of luck . Harnser .

thanks everyone. I am a complete novice, this is correct. I have had three coaching lessons with an CPSA instructor and I am in possession of the two certicicates (gun safety and shooting ettiquette and shotgun skills level two). But this is as far as it goes. I took these coaching sessions voluntarily because I want to be safe and responsible. But I have no idea about techniques for shooting different species.

I am interested in wood pigeon, hare, rabbits, and -if someone is kind enough to take me with them - game shooting (duck, goose, pheasant, partridge etc). I have read several pdf documents (with pics) from SACS regarding game seasons, identifying each species etc, but I am sure they are poor substitute for having someone next to me to explain things as they unfold. Despite the many pictures of species on these documents, I am still finding it hard to tell them apart with confidence, so on the field help is vital at this stage. Please let me know if you have your own permission or I should start asking people to ask people etc...

I live in Lytham St Annes by the way, but I work in Lancaster. Idealy I would like to travel no longer than an hour and a half from either of these two towns to a shoot. If you have your own permission, where is it? I suspect the people who will (hopefully) let me shoot in their land own this land localy, as they do live in Lancaster, Morecambe, Preston, blackpool, Lytham St Annes etc.

thanks again!

I need to ask the people who initially mentioned to me that I can shoot where they shoot. I will then be able to know where, when and what I can shoot. I will be in touch. In the meantime, if there is anyone who already has permission and would be kind enough to offer me some on the field advice, I would be eternally greatful.

• 2 weeks later...

I live a bit closer and as yet only have a small farm of about 40 acres or so, there are a few rabbits and a few woodies and i mainly use shotguns and air rifle, however if you fancy comming over i will help get you started with a view to learning the "knowledge" so to speak, but remember it can take a life time to learn, i have had 30 years experiance and still learn new things all the time, some times i just spend my time with binoculars and a note pad, if you can find some land nearer to you and get permission i wouldn't have a problem comming over and helping you get started, we all have to start some where, good luck mate