.17 HMR anyone used one???

rabbitstopper

Just recently decided to apply for a .17HMR to satisfy my long range bunny shooting 150yards+. Although all the mag reviews look ace i can't really trust their opinion sometimes.

So have any of you out there been in first hand contact with one of these new .17HMR's :)

Also what makes guns are out other than Anschultz, Marlin and Ruger that are in .17HMR. Also does anyone one know of any good sites where the .17HMR is reviewed :)?

James

• 4 weeks later...

I did a little bit of research into this as I have applied for this calibre. There are 2 flavoures to this calibre the .17HMR Rim fire and a .17 Remingon centre fire. I am looking at getting both or at least one if Plod allow me that is. The link I have pasted below shows the Remmington centrefire

http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/c...re/17rembal.htm

Pretty impressive stuff there is also a Rmmington download for ballistics calculations on thier page which is handy if you reload your own ammo as I do.

The only problem I have read is that the centerfire version knocks the **** out of a barrel very quickly if you do not clean it after they say 5 shots.

personally i would'nt bother with .17Rem centrefire, even though its sounds good i.e. 4000fps 25grain bullet, it does lose it energy very quickly as its a low bullet weight and also drifts in the wind alot more. Best to go for the .17HMR and if u want a centrefire round best to go along the lines of .222, .223, .22-250 as these rounds can do all a .17rem can with much greater accuracy and also more guns avlible and also much cheaper round (.223).

Hope this helps

James

Been shooting 22.250 for 8 years no need to tell me how good a round it is. We have already had this discussion on this board some months ago which got into a rather heated debate.........but we wont go there again. As I have said before I practice with the 22.250 out to 500 yards shooting small plastic drink's bottles filled with water, brilliant fun on a nice summers afternoon with a couple of mates. I just want to test a different round with different characteristics and widen my horizon in rifle shooting 8)