shooting vermin in a nature reserve

daveman

I was out one day last summer and got talking to a gamekeeper who told me he had obtained permission to shoot vermin- mainly grey squirrels- in a local nature reserve. Apparently they were doing a huge amount of damage to the trees. It got me thinking there are potential places other than farms to get permission to shoot. You'd think a nature reserve would be the very opposite of shooting, but it just goes to show. Have any of you been shooting in places like that?

As a youngster I accompaned the local Pest Control Officer around Nature Reserves and Crown Army land.

He was authorised to remove the grey squirrels only.

I carried the long aluminium poles that slotted together.

When we found a drey, I assembled the poles, poked the dray and he shot any squirrels that appeared.

Occasionally, he would let me have a shot.

Its amazing what small twigs squirrels can run over.

They almost seem to be flying through the trees.

I spent a lot of time with this gentleman on his pest control activities.

He only ever used a 16 bore.

There is a news article in the Oxford Mail tonight reporting that leadshot must not be used by persons shooting on the RSPB reserve at Otmoor nr Oxford. The reason given for the ban is that Otmoor has been designated as a SSSI. I'm amazed that the RSPB activities can go hand in hand with shooting.

:)

Malc- re your post about Otmoor. There is a roman road which crosses Otmoor which is a public path. I've read that it is sometimes closed because of shooting on a firing range. Is this the RSPB reserve shooting? I've been to that area once many years ago- there must be fantastic shooting around there. Much of Otmoor seems to haver been drained.

Cranfield- re your post about drey poking. I asked the gamekeeper if he used rods to flush the squirrels out. But he told me that two of them just tended to shoot straight into the dreys (must waste plenty of cartridges on empty dreys). He also told me he'd had up to 50 in a day- is that feasible?