Staffys

pierre

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look people, I said that it was down to the owners in my previous post, I just dont trust any staffordshire bull terrier now I dont want to take the risk of my dog being attacked by one again.

Some people like them some people dont and I am the one who dont like them.

All fine putting pictures up of them its not going to change the way people look at them.

Mean look

SP_A0087.jpg

This is my dog who was attacked by a staffordshire bull terrier. Has it changed your mind on how you look at Staffordshire bull terriers now? I guess no.

Staffordshire bull terriers will not be good in the field they were not bred to retrieve and bring back the quarry you want to shoot.

Look people, I said that it was down to the owners in my previous post, I just dont trust any staffordshire bull terrier now I dont want to take the risk of my dog being attacked by one again.

Some people like them some people dont and I am the one who dont like them.

All fine putting pictures up of them its not going to change the way people look at them.

Mean look

This is my dog who was attacked by a staffordshire bull terrier. Has it changed your mind on how you look at Staffordshire bull terriers now? I guess no.

Staffordshire bull terriers will not be good in the field they were not bred to retrieve and bring back the quarry you want to shoot.

looks like you just had bad luck anyway supose like most thigs it a topic like marmite i just wounderd if they would be good in the feild on as mine has nearly caught a few rabbits and they have a bit of terrier in them

Sorry to hear that you have had bad experince's with staffys

Edited by pierre

At the end of the day Staffy's were bred for fighting and bull baiting :stupid: - in my mind that breeding has never gone away and I wouldn't trust one ever. :yes: In my mind they aren't any different to any of the other bull terrier breeds, and like has been said already; most owners seem to have them as an accessory to make them look 'hard' - but at the end of the day if they need a scary dog they aren't actually very 'hard' are they?! :good:

Given the number of people who have been attacted, or their dogs attacted, by these animals I'm surprised they aren't controlled more and have to be muzzled at all times...going another step further with Martin's foam baseball bat analogy - I shudder to think about a kid in a pram at eye level with one of those animals when it turns nasty. :yes:

The dog was bred for fighting and wounding - lovely pet...hmm....:good:

At the end of the day Staffy's were bred for fighting and bull baiting :stupid: - in my mind that breeding has never gone away and I wouldn't trust one ever. :yes: In my mind they aren't any different to any of the other bull terrier breeds, and like has been said already; most owners seem to have them as an accessory to make them look 'hard' - but at the end of the day if they need a scary dog they aren't actually very 'hard' are they?! :good:

Given the number of people who have been attacted, or their dogs attacted, by these animals I'm surprised they aren't controlled more and have to be muzzled at all times...going another step further with Martin's foam baseball bat analogy - I shudder to think about a kid in a pram at eye level with one of those animals when it turns nasty. :yes:

The dog was bred for fighting and wounding - lovely pet...hmm....:good:

still a long way from my original posting but every1 has their own point of view even if it is blind

Oly has a point we all know what the staffordshire bull terrier was bred for. If they were bred for anything else I would like to here it.

Oly was simply saying that each breed of dog has a purpose and Stafforshire bull terriers was not for shooting field

anyone who trusts their dog implicitly is a fool - remember guys, no matter how often he obeys you, wags his tail when he sees you or fetches whatever you just shot, he is still an animal. and one day, you may just catch him on a bad day. and you'll never forget it.

every1 has their own point of view even if it is blind

BLIND?!? :good:

A 30 second google search brough up ALL these hits...and that's only scratching the surface on attacts by Staffordshire Bull Terriers! :good:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...en%26safe%3Doff

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...%3Doff%26sa%3DX

Edited by Oly

Sorry i did'nt realise that staffys are the only dogs to ever attack anybody not all dogs are good what eva the breed

Nobody said that they are the only bred to attack - only that they are more likely to attack as they were bred for fighting...and hence the attacks on people by staffy's is so high - much more than a collie or lab that's for sure! :good:

Edited by Oly

Again, it's all down to the upbringing...

“One of only two breeds named as 'Good with Children' in their breed standard by the UK Kennel Club from over 190 breeds.â€

“The ONLY breed that has 'Totally Reliable' in it's breed standard, but foremost that the breed is a great family dog, hence the breeds well deserved nickname 'The Nanny Dog'.â€

Nobody said that they are the only bred to attack - only that they are more likely to attack as they were bred for fighting...and hence the attacks on people by staffy's is so high - much more than a collie or lab that's for sure! :good:

you will more likely find that the owner is more down to it than the breed. unfortunately due to their looks they are the pit-bull replacement they tend to be owned be the dregs of society (although not always the case) and they will be train them to be the vicious animals we see in the news.

if the dregs trained collies or labs to be aggressive, the result would be the same I expect.

ok im fed up of this

Whateva people think i belive that they are one of the best dogs around for a family my little niece plays with him all the time and she is only 3 and no1 batters an eyelid

and this is why they are known as the "nanny dog"

because of their protection of their own family and how good they are around the young of their family.

James - I totally agree the owners and the training of the dog is a very big factor, but if a dog is already bred for fighting it is always going to have a pre-disposition towards it.

It's the age old debate of nature v's nurture

Pierre,

I stopped a bloke in a car the other day. The driver was a stocky gobby bloke who went up to 50'000ft as soon as he got out the car. His lovley blue staffy vomited all over the handbrake a this was happening. The dog had a lovley temperement and if he wanted to get rid of it I would have had it. The bloke turned out alright when he had calmed down!

I have also been to 2 jobs where staffy crosses (one with a bull mastif and the other with a pit bull) have attacked people. One the dog was shot after attacking the police and almost chewing someones hand off at the wrist and the other was a bloke who trained his dog to attack. He attacked a bloke and held him down so the dog could go to town on him. That dog was also destroyed.

Most of it is down to the owners. Unfortunatley the staffy seems to be the chav/scrote/thug's choice of dog at the moment. Every criminal I stop who has one, or any other dog for that matter boasts about how their dogs are trained to ave have people who come near them or their family.

I am not saying you are one of the above but this is my experience of most staffy owners I have come across.

Cheers

H

Pierre,

I stopped a bloke in a car the other day. The driver was a stocky gobby bloke who went up to 50'000ft as soon as he got out the car. His lovley blue staffy vomited all over the handbrake a this was happening. The dog had a lovley temperement and if he wanted to get rid of it I would have had it. The bloke turned out alright when he had calmed down!

I have also been to 2 jobs where staffy crosses (one with a bull mastif and the other with a pit bull) have attacked people. One the dog was shot after attacking the police and almost chewing someones hand off at the wrist and the other was a bloke who trained his dog to attack. He attacked a bloke and held him down so the dog could go to town on him. That dog was also destroyed.

Most of it is down to the owners. Unfortunatley the staffy seems to be the chav/scrote/thug's choice of dog at the moment. Every criminal I stop who has one, or any other dog for that matter boasts about how their dogs are trained to ave have people who come near them or their family.

I am not saying you are one of the above but this is my experience of most staffy owners I have come across.

Cheers

H

This is a fair post, but if as I suspect, you are in law enforcment, its sad but true (my cousin was met) you see every day the worst of our society, so just maybe you are affected by this and sometimes unwhitingly think the worst.......(good thing if it keeps you safe) in the same way someone who see's a bull terrier playing with there kids every day thinks its harmless, of course both views are tainted,

I do think owners are a great influence on how dogs turn out, but I would always be cautious with a dog i didn't know......

To finish the best thing for anyone to do,... would be not to make judgements good or bad about dog or owner

i have owned and shown staffs for 7-8 years and im not affraid to say that all staffs have that killer side to there personality`s alot of it is to do with the owners and how the dog is socialized but you go to any dog show and the staffy ring will be the place to see the most aggression im affraid they just have it in them , anyways staffs nowadays are nothin like the breed standard lanky skinny over bread **** !

pierre one of my irish staff's is a big dog called kaine was a great dog for hunting he was brill flushed well i could stop him when needed but if i shot over him he would retreive but everything was chewd to bits .this dog came back from ireland aged 6yrs and i gave him to my stepson who lives in guildford his kidds do as they please with him i trust this dog 100/% he has a bucket head fit strong dog i showed him at a ed reid show in mitcham and he came first in his class . there was a few scrappy terriers there nothing or anything different to a working terrier show and i have judged terrier shows for 10 years and got bit often by russells ?