badger or fox hole

perfect

There's three easy ways for you to tell.

1.) Marks - Look at the prints outside the Den/set

2.) Smell - Both Badgers and foxes have very destinictive, musky smells, though you will of needed to of gotten close before to realise which is which, you won't forget the smell afterwards.

3.) Fur - Feeling brave? Good. Get you're hand and stick it along the wall of the mouth of the tunnel, and route around untill you find some fur that's either on the floor, or stuck to the walls, from this you can try and figure out which is which.

Ask the Farmer/Landowner or the farm workers, they usually know what is where on their land.

If in doubt keep well away.

Last year some roost shooters about 10 miles from me were seen by bird watchers (some distance away with binos), setting up near badger setts and there was a Police attendance and they were warned about badger "harrassment".

They hadn't even noticed the setts were there.

The Police advised the Farmer and they also lost their permission.

Cranfield is spot-on. The local badger-welfare groups, backed up by the interfering goons at Natural England, will have every sett plotted on a map. These scrotes will traipse all over private property if there's so much as a peep about shooters and farmers touching setts, clearing ditches, legitimately slug-pelleting growing crops etc.

The other indicator of badgers is latrines: a few small pits dotted around by the opening, filled with ****. Setts are usually located near running water, and have multiple entrances. Foxes aren't so picky or industrious.

Some of these holes are massive i hate even walking past them some are big some are meduim sized some are small some are round and some are rugbyball shaped there are also big hares around, i dare not send the terrier in just incase i will leave them be.

Some of these holes are massive i hate even walking past them some are big some are meduim sized some are small some are round and some are rugbyball shaped there are also big hares around, i dare not send the terrier in just incase i will leave them be.

Hares don't go down holes, they live above ground.

Some Farmer...!

+1

As from what I've read they weren't intentionally bothering the badgers in the first place.

I wouldn't agree if they had been, and the farmer knew of it, while I'm not up on agriculture in the UK I know even more problems can be caused for farmers than shooters over here by them types.

Would have been better let the shooters get on with dealing with the pigeons and tell the tree huggers to get bent, plus charge them with tresspassing if possible.

Don't blame the Farmer, he doesn't need any aggro from locals, nature lovers, police, or anyone else.

Pigeon shooters are ten a penny.

You may not like the truth, but it is the truth.

No one is blaming the Farmer Cranfield...where do you get that from ?

You may not like the truth, but it is the truth

And what's all that about ?

So in future, all these treehuggers have to do is phone the police & say the shooters are harrassing the Badgers......another victory for the Antis......& how long before this is applied to other farms ?

Maybe the Farmer should have had the balls to tell them get off his land, the the police done them for wasting police time.

Edited by Bazooka Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Badgers tend to stay in one place, whereas foxes are more nomadic and will go to ground wherever there is an unused earth/hole/shelter, especially in this cold weather.

Check for fresh signs of digging and bedding being dragged out, pretty common with Badgers and everything that Bleeh recommends above. The Landowner will also usually know where he has badgers.

If in doubt, walk away.

Cheers

Everyone claiming it's 'tree huggers' are way off mark.

It is about the law, plain and simple.

The Protection of Badgers Act 1992 was brought in because of the levels of persecution prevalent at the time, not because of nature lovers.

By no was is this gospel but it is what I have found over a few years.

The Badger set has a hole that will have a arched top to it and a flat bottom.

Like others have posted, there will be **** pits around the locality, don't step in them as they stink as much as a brock.

Having coming up from the mire smelling of roses after a recent rspca investigation I highly recommend that you give any suspicious holes a very wide berth.

LB

I'm sure they are badgers now the sets look old and unused but who knows, plenty of leaves blown into the holes and lots of them around very deep and excavated.

Dan browning i can assure you there's no way I'm gonna mess with them lol i hate walking past them iv heard there very territorial ?

Edited by perfect

How did you become an ecologist 955i?

Studied Zoology at Uni, did some work for the National Trust and the Barn Owl Trust in Devon. Did voluntary work as an English Nature bat warden and got my bat license then applied to consultancies and wound up with the job I have now.

Takes a bit of time and effort as most companies want qualifications and experience which is the tricky bit but worth it if you can get into it, get to go all over the country and see some great places.

Edited by 955i

so do you shoot 955 or are you just so to speak a badger fancier?

I used to shoot a lot of match .177 air rifle and teach archery.

Just got into clay shooting and currently applying for my certificate.

Intend to do bits of game shooting when the freezer is empty ;) .

Most of my work brings me into contact with farmers around the country so hoping I can get a few permissions for when I am in different areas so there is always the opportunity to shoot as I am rarely in my home area during the summer.