Can any dog be a gun dog (within reason!)

V8landy

Hi

I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while, but now I am shooting again it makes sense to combine the two and train it as a gun dog.

My list of preferred dos was as follows in no particular order

German Sheppard

Border collie

Poodle

Labrador

Rottweiler

I know labs are OK as gun dogs, but what about the rest

PS did you spot the odd one out? LOL

One of our lads brings his standard poodle,

I dont think a toy one would be much use?

by gundog I meant a more normal breed as it costs as much to feed a poor worker as a good worker, in fact after a year when you give up and get another to work, it can work out more expensive.

i would think the greyhound would struggle as in general they hate to be cold or wet and their skin is like tissue papper ,most thick cover would be a danger to their saftey and a lot of them dont like loud bangs , im sure someone will disagree with me but its just my opinion for what its worth.

Why make life hard for yourself V8landy. Labs are bred for the task and though there might be a few poodles that have working bloodlines , most dont. You might strike it lucky one individual of the other breeds , but the odds are you will not be. Dogs cost a lot of money to buy and rear and take a lot of hard work to train , so get a lab so you know you should have at least an 90% chance of ending up with a usable gundog.

i have two rottweilers and take them shooting, the bitch isnt great but the dog showed good signs - chasing game up, retrieving, even sitting down when i shouted "fire" so he didnt get in my line of sight when after rabbits. id only started his training when i broke my ankle, and shortly after i recovered i moved back to the town from the countryside, so never had the time or space to try and finish his training, but i sometimes wonder how he would have turned out. :good:

Hi

I have been thinking about getting a dog for a while, but now I am shooting again it makes sense to combine the two and train it as a gun dog.

My list of preferred dos was as follows in no particular order

German Sheppard

Border collie

Poodle

Labrador

Rottweiler

I know labs are OK as gun dogs, but what about the rest

PS did you spot the odd one out? LOL

thought you would have had Staffy there :lol: :lol: :good::hmm: :hmm:

I take my German Shepherd bitch (2yr old) shooting with me sometimes & she is no bother,stalks behind me,lies quietly etc. but up to now I cannot get her to retrieve rabbits which is what I mainly shoot. Cleaning her up ready to face the wife is also a pain but I do enjoy her company.