foxes

duncan

no good, if there as big as your mouth you wont get through the front gate.

lol lol emmerdale at least thats entertainment .who is causeing suffering to any animal point blank christ bring on the law which states you can not shoot caged trapt foxes if all you lot can do is try wind me up sorry, but this is my job day to day and i aint in jail yet for it . the law you are pouting mark is all animals not just foxes my foxes do not suffer i can asure you of this you are welcome to join me next time when i carry one out at mount browne ?

markbivvey you are becomeing very offensive on this debate time for your bed i think your tired night night

don't tar me with this lot Big I'm neutral :rolleyes:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this thread has certainly taken off since i went for a walk...by the way,i just shot this with my Webley Vulcan x2,000,000 gls supa dupa air rifle..so there :lol:

SS100326.jpg

Wot,all of you are being silly...can,t i :rolleyes:

Looks like you had some cleaning to do aswell

Well this thread has certainly taken off since i went for a walk...by the way,i just shot this with my Webley Vulcan x2,000,000 gls supa dupa air rifle..so there :lol:

Wot,all of you are being silly...can,t i :rolleyes:

I bet you cheated :yes: Saw two tonight, couldn't get within an ***'s roar of either, ah well at least it didn't rain on me.

Noel. just spoke to ex boss, who thinks what you have stated is *** and very very illigal!!!Try speaking to FAO about passing a .17 or a .22 rimmy for fox , not happening..........like I said I used to work with one of , if not the best of , thew best , you are making a fool of yourself and the pest controll industry, ................not only mt opinion but the ex bosses also!~

Something to add about the 50 foot rule.

That only applies if by shooting you cause danger or alarm. You can actually shoot 1 foot away from a highway as long as you are do not cause alarm or danger:

Highways Act 1980

22.17 Under section 161 of the Highways Act

1980, it is an offence for any person, without

lawful authority or excuse, to discharge any

firearm within fifty feet of the centre of any

highway which comprises a carriageway, if in

consequence, any user of the highway is

injured, interrupted or endangered

What that means is that if you are the otherside of a hedge and let off a round, and a passing walker gets a nasty shock you are in trouble. If however you are at least 50 feet from the road, then the distance is great enough that the sound will not cause enourmous alarm to the walker.

Noel. just spoke to ex boss, who thinks what you have stated is *** and very very illigal!!!Try speaking to FAO about passing a .17 or a .22 rimmy for fox , not happening..........like I said I used to work with one of , if not the best of , thew best , you are making a fool of yourself and the pest controll industry, ................not only mt opinion but the ex bosses also!~

for the umtenth time 22 rimmi and 17hmr are not passed for feild work .we are talking caged traps in back gardens at point blank range . i certainly dont make a fool of myself in the pestcontrol business ?

This thread is going nowhere.

Noel won't find out from his firearms fella.

No one else can say exactly where it's illegal.

It's all opinions.

Its actually not illegal as there are pretty much no conditions attached to sub 12ft lbs air guns. Obviously the foxes are caged and its point blank, I'll have to take Noel at his word that its effective, assuming it is then you aren't causing unnecessary suffering which is about the only law to worry about.

Most of the firearms guidance details are irrelevant as they don't apply to a gun on a ticket with conditions attached. Assuming you apply all the right criteria about shooting an airgun in a back garden then there is nothing legally wrong with doing it as long as it works, and lets face it you wouldn't do it with anyone watching and the fox would give you a second chance were it to go wrong. It may in fact be better than using a firearm as even a .22lr used at close range in a garden could ricochet off a stone under grass or the likes. Other than removing the animal in the cage there aren't many good options.

People want to be really careful about pushing issues related to causing unnecessary suffering as it could signal the end of shotgun shooting as you cannot guarantee you won't ***** a bird to let it go off and die.

gentlemen i put this thread on here to find out how to get rid of a fox in my garden . I certainly did`nt want any of you guys to fall out over it ,,,, i phoned the council and they are sending out an advisor to see me , i know we are a happy bunch on this forum so maybe this should be the end of this topic

cheers lads

Dunc

here is surreys police view.

Mr ....,

Most air rifles are termed low powered air weapons as they have a

power/energy level of under 12 Ft Lbs, as such they do not have the

power to guarantee a clean kill even from very close range.

There are some air rifles with power/energy levels exceeding 12ft lbs

but these are only permitted to be held on a firearms licence.However

these are also not considered to have the power.

The police have no sanctions over low powered air rifles being used for

the purpose described but would not recommend it as it could cause

suffering to the fox.

The higher powered Air weapons held on a certificate would be condition

as their use and this would not include humaine dispatch of fox

Roger F Weedon

Firearms Licensing Manager

Surrey Police

Edited by markbivvy

so basically he can do it.

thats not how i read it.

these are also not considered to have the power

suffering to the fox.

Edited by markbivvy

here is surreys police view.

Mr ....,

Most air rifles are termed low powered air weapons as they have a

power/energy level of under 12 Ft Lbs, as such they do not have the

power to guarantee a clean kill even from very close range.

these are also not considered to have the power.

suffering to the fox.

The higher powered Air weapons held on a certificate would be condition

as their use and this would not include humaine dispatch of fox

Roger F Weedon

Firearms Licensing Manager

Surrey Police

Albeit pure supposition, I would suggest that if the RSPCA brought an action against someone using an air weapon (FAC or not) to shoot a fox (caged or not), then the Police would be asked for their comments.

The submission above and the comment made today by my Kent FO that he would interpret such an act as causing unnecessary suffering, suggest that the prosecution would be successful.

Go and look at the BASC Code of Practise for airguns (its pinned at the top of the Airgunners section), I don't see foxes mentioned in there either.

Another "expert witness" whose vote you would lose.

Duncan, if the fox is causing you a problem then a cage trap is the way to go. Disposal of the beast can then be carried out at your discretion! Personally I would give the fox a very sharp knife and then read it this thread from start to finish, hopefully by the time you get to the end the fox will feel so guilty for having caused such a long, winding and argumentative thread that it will take the only honorable course of action remaining and slit its own throat. Amen!

got up for work at 4 in the morning when my intruder light in the back garden came on and there he was, a big old fox, how can i get rid of it .I can`t shoot it as there are neighbours to the left and to the right .I have heared stories of dogs catching fox mange SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

i ve read this thread all the way thru and nobody has given an answer to the whole question

1 how to get rid . lots of answers . my trap and dispatch on your permission humanely

2 dogs catch fox mange. no answers . my reply consult your vet

regards ian