duncan

thats not how i read it.

There are some air rifles with power/energy levels exceeding 12ft lbs

but these are only permitted to be held on a firearms licence.However

these are also not considered to have the power

The police have no sanctions over low powered air rifles being used for

the purpose described but would not recommend it as it could cause

suffering to the fox.

the other way of looking at it is the police have no powers to say you can't do it however the clause could cause suffering to the fox would only apply if it was only wounded. Having never tried it point blank I couldn't say but from what we've heard from Noel it does work then a dead fox isn't suffering and it would be very difficult with a dead fox to proove it suffered. Even the RSPCA would need evidence either video of the shot not working or an injured animal. One things for sure sub 12ftlbs air guns have killed people and children in accidents close up so it may be effective.

After all the .22lr has in the past been used routinly for slaughtering animals up to large bulls yet ask the FEO the same question about that and you'd probably get a very similar answer

Edited by al4x

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

noel, how long have you been a proffesional pest controller and how long have you had a fac?

roughly 30 yrs and yes i do hold a fac it doe;s matter how long i have my fac ? and a air rifle at close quarters does kill out right . try it unless you are inexperianced in this feild not advised .so you can see i have been doing this for quite sometime and never ever has it been questioned by local aurthroty ie local councl or london council as where most of my fox work comes from. these are caged close quarterd foxes not 30-50 yrd shot'

Edited by bignoel

BIGNOEL

I too have looked at your webiste and seen the picture of a man up a ladder against a chimney and looks like the ladder is balanced on the roof, no lines etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :no::no::no:

Now I won't begin to give you advice on pest control but I would advise you to remove that picture from your website. If you or anyone else has an idustrial accident at work and HSE investigate it and then they see your work practices then you will be in the runny stuff!!! And that I AM right on. Jesus!!!

If the frie brigade are trained to go up a 30ft ladder and YET are NOT allowed to change a light bulb in their canteen (seriously) as it means going up a ladder higher than 2 metres and think HSE may, no change that WILL WILL WILL have something to say about your companies work practice :good::good:

Are you a pointing expert as well or do you have a survey done on the structual strength of a tall chimney like that before you climb up it. A 14 stone man leaning on a ladder against a weak chimney that tall, may just end up at ground level quicker than he hoped :angry::hmm::)

Still, if you or the chimney landed on the fox in the cage below then no need to worry about how to dispatch the fox I guess :lol::lol::lol:

:hmm: what has that got to do with the price of fish?

if a fox was caged, and shot in the head from a foot away, with a 12lb air rifle, its going to die. simple as that. We read all too often about PEOPLE getting shot with air rifles and they die. A foxes head is about the same as a childs, and we have all read what can happen there.

What the law says might be totaly different to this, but if we all stuck to the rules layed down, we would never get out of bed in the morning.

If its not causing lots of mess/damage, then i wouldnt worry about it.

Duncan

You do not need to shoot the fox, nor trap it. Let me help you for free. I will supply you with some of my mother in laws cooking, put that in your garden and the fox will be dead in no time!!!!!!!!! :angry::good::good:

As for the Mange question you asked. Dogs indeed CAN catch mange from foxes. Your vet can supply Flea / Mange / Tick etc treatments, a must if your dog is running around the countryside.

The one thing you haven't said ( forgive me if you mentioned it elsewhere but I am not reading through 9 pages again :lol: ) you initially didn't say why you wanted rid of the Fox. I have loads in my back garden. They don't bother me in the slightest and I actually like seeing them, it is their place too and they were probably about long before our houses were. Would be different if I had chickens etc or they caused be problems.

In fact I would rather dispatch one of my neighbours than a fox but thats another thread!! :hmm::):hmm:

sonic,

i like to see foxes but this one did`nt look to healthy with patches of fur missing on it`s hind quarters ,i also take my dog beating with me and spray him regularly with "front line" the bloke who`s coming from the council said if it is a sick animal they would put it down

you're right to be worried about mange its not the easiest thing to treat. best option is to see if you can fence it out of your garden and what also helps is to drink lots of water and then answer the call of nature outside along the fence line, they don't like the smell for some reason :angry:

The original question was answered long ago, but the matter of shooting foxes with an air rifle entered into the options.

This is what gathered the most comments.

Even if you kill a caged fox with an air rifle it can still be construed as causing "unecessary suffering" , as supported by the comments of two FO's.

There was also an article in todays Daily Mail of a man who shot and killed a dog with an air rifle and was prosecuted for causing "unecessary suffering".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...ng-morning.html

It appears that the law would make no distinction between a dog and a fox.

thats pretty worrying for anyone who shoots deer as exactly the same could be said of a deer shot that travelled 100m and then fell down dead. Or a pigeon shot with a shotgun that was only pricked and died later, both scenarios happen to every legal shooter

QUOTE**Bishop was given a two-year conditional discharge by King's Lynn magistrates after admitting causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

He was also ordered to pay £60 costs plus £1,750 compensation to his neighbours, who are so traumatised they are considering moving home.

The maximum penalty is six months' jail and a £20,000 fine.**

Back on thread, my personal opinion is to use a cage trap and many are dispatched in them with .410`s.

The original question was answered long ago, but the matter of shooting foxes with an air rifle entered into the options.

This is what gathered the most comments.

Even if you kill a caged fox with an air rifle it can still be construed as causing "unecessary suffering" , as supported by the comments of two FO's.

There was also an article in todays Daily Mail of a man who shot and killed a dog with an air rifle and was prosecuted for causing "unecessary suffering".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...ng-morning.html

It appears that the law would make no distinction between a dog and a fox.

But he shot it in the body so it took a few minetes to die, bignole was saying about shooting the fox straight in the head so it would die instantly

Plus a dog is a pet a fox is vermin

Edited by pierre

QUOTE**Bishop was given a two-year conditional discharge by King's Lynn magistrates after admitting causing unnecessary suffering to an animal.

He was also ordered to pay £60 costs plus £1,750 compensation to his neighbours, who are so traumatised they are considering moving home.

The maximum penalty is six months' jail and a £20,000 fine.**

Back on thread, my personal opinion is to use a cage trap and many are dispatched in them with .410`s.

this a totaly different story the courts dont destinct between vermin at point blank and shooting a pet in the flank from range come on open your eyes up as i stated i have carried this out for 30 yrs and no prosicution's todate ? i think it is time to bow out from P.W as i personaly think alot of mods and wana be's think they are god .when pigeon / crow / rabbit /jackdaws /geese /duck/ deer /shooting all fall into the same catergory of cruelity long range shots not out right clean kill's. protect and preserve shooting just dont kill it out right joke bye.

Its a personal thing about dispatching foxes with air weapons, and while i would not make a practise of it if i came accross a injured fox and all i had was an airgun i would use it. I also know others who loosley stick to the law regarding munjack and CWD but it is their choice.

so why are the Pigeon Watch members making such a big issue about this, and remember this is a public forum.

it is not advisable practice, but if some one was chatting about their dangerous driving on here, which again is not advisable would there be all these replys/outcry

commonkeeper

got up for work at 4 in the morning when my intruder light in the back garden came on and there he was, a big old fox, how can i get rid of it .I can`t shoot it as there are neighbours to the left and to the right .I have heared stories of dogs catching fox mange SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Firstly I would try and find where its getting in, if its a hole in/under a fence then patch it up. If it still gets in then I would try one of these.

http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=C...rce%3Dgoogleads

If that still doesn't work then I would look into getting/borrowing a trap. :good:

All the best

Chris