foxes

duncan

Personnally i would shoot it at close range, perhaps using my silenced bikal .410 but i would construct a safe backstop.

if thats not possible then a snare is better than a live catch trap any day

please remember that you may be seen doing whattever control methods you use so please dont do anything illeagle or that may be mis construde, or else shooting may get a bad name

commonkeeper

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personnally i would shoot it at close range, perhaps using my silenced bikal .410 but i would construct a safe backstop.

if thats not possible then a snare is better than a live catch trap any day

please remember that you may be seen doing whattever control methods you use so please dont do anything illeagle or that may be mis construde, or else shooting may get a bad name

commonkeeper

my neighbours are hunting people but you never know who`s about so it might be the yellow pages and get some professional people to catch him

Something I wonder, is what's the law on airguns and foxes? Since I read a lot of topics on here about licencing and how certain forces won't allow .22lr or 17HMR for foxes :yp:

I've often wondered this and every time I look, I can never seem to find the answer but have concluded an answer from the following paragragh taken from the Home Office Firearms Law Guidance To The Police 2002:

Fox

13.23 Common rifle cartridges considered suitable for the shooting of foxes range from .17 Remington, and .22 Hornet to .22 -250 and .220 Swift, though there is a wide range of suitable similar calibres commercially available. In windy areas, where heavier bullets aid accurate shooting, or if applicants wish to use one rifle for shooting both deer and foxes they may choose a rifle in 6mm (.243/.244) or 6.5mm (.264) calibre. .22 Rimfire is generally too low-powered to be used against fox except at short range, but may reasonably be permitted for use against such quarry in certain circumstances. However, sole use against fox would not normally be sufficient “good reason†to acquire such a rifle (see paragraph 13.15). Combination shot gun/rifles should have the rifled barrel in a similar calibre. Expanding ammunition should be authorised for shooting foxes. Those involved in shooting foxes will normally be authorised to possess up to 250 rounds and acquire 200 at any given time, but consideration should though be given to each shooter’s individual circumstances, particularly where re-loaders are acquiring missiles. See also paragraph 13.14 on allowing applicant’s flexibility to reasonably shoot other species on named land.

If the Law considers a .22LR to be generally too low-powered then an airgun is way off the mark. I can only assume that Libs friend has been granted Fox on his FAC Airgun, otherwise it might be illegal. :yes:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...showtopic=60931

My personal opinion is, that anyone stupid enough to try to shoot a fox with an air weapon, shouldn't be permitted to have the weapon in the first place.

If anyone has seen a "fox get two barrells of BB and run off" then the person firing the gun missed , or was out of range.

The answer to the original question is to either contact your local Council who will probably lend you a live trap, or buy your own.

FAC air or even a 12ftlb'er can take em at close range. right at the apex of the spine i have been told.

I have seen them taken from 30 yards with a rapid running at 28ftlb!

If you can place a pellet in the kill zone (back of neck or throat (for air anyway)) in a fox with even a 12ftlb rifle you will kill it dead by breaking its spinal cord. This is far quicker that a pop of AAA with a gappy pattern and poor placement.

Im only going on what i was told by someone who shoots FOR A LIVING, and has done so for more years than most, if you dont belive it, fine by me. I have seen it, droped where it stood. I have seen a fox get 2 barrells of BB and run off. We could argue all day.

Seems libs is unsure if he's been told or if he's seen a fox killed by an airgun, maybe he has maybe he hasn't but the old chestnut about 'shoots FOR A LIVING, and has done so for more years than most' just doesn't work for me...chap should know better and if he can't have more respect for the law AND his quarry than that he shouldn't be allowed to earn a living killing things! Absolute disgrace! :rolleyes:

Im only going on what i was told by someone who shoots FOR A LIVING, and has done so for more years than most, if you dont belive it, fine by me. I have seen it, droped where it stood. I have seen a fox get 2 barrells of BB and run off. We could argue all day.

Sorry to be blunt, but you are having a laugh.

Here`s the quotes - Im only going on what i was told by someone

Next - I have seen it, droped where it stood

So, did you see it or were you told ??

I have seen a fox get 2 barrells of BB and run off. - I have witnessed a fox get dropped with 28g of 7`s, but I wouldn`t advise it......was it a heavy load of BB`s ??

In a life or death situation we will use any instrument to defend ourselves, however this is not that situation and I would conclude that a trap of some sort or a more secure garden would be the way ahead.

Bignoel, I used to work for one of the most succesfull agricultural pest controll companies in UK, and there is no way and I mean no way that anyone would even concider shooting a caged fox with an air weapon...................I do have to ask who do you work for :rolleyes:??If this is acceptable practice with your company it will very soon have problems, big ones.

Because of the hand gun laws changing we all had our permits removed and then started to use 410 shotty either in place if convenient or remove the trap and beast and then a 410.

If you are trapping and killing foxes with a 12 ft/lbs air gun in peoples gardens I would stand back and take a very very long hard look at yourself.

The blind would not get that right.......... a shocking statement !!

Henry I am in bed with you on this one,Bignoel have you actually had a caged fox?The one thing they do not do is sit still so you can put the muzzle of a gun against them, infact unsuprisingly they panic even more as a human aproaches the trap in which they are stuck...............starting to form an opinion here.

Henry I am in bed with you on this one,Bignoel have you actually had a caged fox?The one thing they do not do is sit still so you can put the muzzle of a gun against them, infact unsuprisingly they panic even more as a human aproaches the trap in which they are stuck...............starting to form an opinion here.

most of the week every week i carry this out under the word of a fao obi he is not qualified as you lot .heh .foxes do sit still ? in traps after a short while my god all the expertianced lads in the world lol lol

airguns - foxes nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i posted on here a while back because i had one in my garden giving my chickens some bovva, never once having airgunned for nearly 20 yrs, and considering myself a half decent shot, would i consider shooting a fox with one trapped or not - soz bignoel and anyone else that has advocated it - your nutters, proffessional or not !

whats next high pheasnt with 24gr off nr 8 with skeet choke, on the basis that its shot placement that counts !

bring forth the law that states caged foxes are not to be destroyed by air rifle 12lb + ? and i will reconsider my job.

bring forth the law that says you can. like the conditions of a firearm certificate

and not some dodgy feo, who by your accounts should take up knitting.

home office says .22 rimmie is marginal, they would laugh at a air rifle.

Edited by markbivvy

bignoel, just checked out your website and the recent work link, love the bit about H & S being your first and upmost priority - then i looked at the pic !!!!!!!!!!

soz mate pro or not - dont work on roofs without adequate fall arrest equipent or fall protection, that is omething i could show you a law on

soz mate law or not its irrelevant - air rifles and foxes dont mix / shouldn't mix

Firstly I would suggest you forget tooling yourself up and unleashing weaponry in your own garden..... Lets face it Plod are going to put 2 and 2 together and realise it was you that made that loud bang (you do have a SGC don't you) arn't they.....

Have you asked yourself why the fox is there in the first place. Don't get me wrong I'm all for killing the beasts but I would suggest it is detrimental to not only yourself, but possibly also the shooting community, for people to try and dispatch fox in the ways suggested (UNLESS OF COURSE YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL, yeh yeh airguns, spine shots - whatever).

Have you thought of saving yourself the worry of trapping and shooting etc when you could just get rid of whatever is atracting the fox in the first place. There are several chemical and BIOlogical agents on the market which foxes can't abide by and therefore ****** off - hopefully to a place where shooting is permissible. I've also heard that getting some human hair (barber clippings) and putting it in tights strategically hidden around the garden gets rid of them - Not sur eif this method is anywhere near as effective as the previous chemical ones though. If the foxes are digging up your plants to get to worms etc (like they where in my garden) get yourself down the local ASDA and grab a 1Kg bag of either Cayene pepper or hot chilli powder - spinkle a load on the soil round your plants/veg etc and I guarantee the digging will stop (this also works for squirrels and other pests).

Hope this advice helps and keeps you out of the cells......

o so now i am a poacher as well. lol lol the law states you must shoot foxes when you CALL them in with a rimmi or a 12g or 410. no nothing on air ifle 12lb + must enquire to my fao tomorrow as to why he is wrong and the PW hangman crew are right what a joke you know all's are