...constructive staffy response

jon0881

Hi Pierre (sorry for reopening admins),

I have just searched for some reccomendations for new wellies and fell across this post and had to comment. I have two staffies, i used to be an accredited breader for them briefly. I am a responsible dog owner despite having trust in them, they dont fight with other dogs and i have a 2 year old boy who torments them to pieces!

Anyhoo about your question. As you will probably already know, its unlikely you will get your staffie to gun dog standard its just not in the breed. However, i took my youngest staffie pheasant shooting with me today (on my own). As long as you have no great expectations of the dog, you have little to be dissapointed with. I crossed paths with another shooter with 2 labs. The dogs had a sniff and i got the expected comment "Thats a funny looking gun dog" to which i replied, "thats because its not a gun dog. She has come for a walk and is pretty good at flushing out birds, i dont mind picking them up myself." They just laughed it off and we had a chat, they were nice blokes. At the end of the day, i came away with a brace of birds (which the dog pushed out) and i didnt hear another shot all day.

On organised shoots im often jealous of the relationship the shooter has with his working dog but realise to do the job properly i need a lab (my preferance). Today I had fun, the dog had fun and we have a bird for the Sunday dinner. whats the harm in that....

/Jon

i breed rottweilers and like to take my big male out hunting with me. hes pretty good at chasing game out and isnt gun shy in the least, i have him trained that as soon as i shout fire he sits down immediately so he doesnt run into my line of fire. i started some retrieval training with him but broke my ankle a week or two into it and never finished it. at 9 stone hes slightly larger than your average gun dog... :lol: but he has added advantages; i made him a harnass out of an old webbing kit i had (complete with pouches) so carrying around all my odds and ends for a full day, including cartridges, doesnt bother him. also he saved my backside one night when i went shooting. i was in a field that had 20 odd bullocks in it, but because of the shape of the field i didnt see them til i was in the middle of it, 100 yards from the nearest gate. that was when the bullocks decided theyd like to trample me into the ground. all of them came charging at me at full speed, i fired a couple of shots over their heads but it had no effect, i thought my number was up til arnie charged out from beside me to meet them head on, broke the formation up and scattered them. i started making my way back to the gate, he followed about 10 feet behind me walking backwards, any bullock that got too near was swiftly chased off. :good:

hes a big softy most of the time, i still have pics of him somewhere with 3 kittens lying snuggled up beside him and a 4th lying between his paws looking seriousley unimpressed as he licked it clean, but ill never forget him protectingme that night with the bullocks :D

My Satffie is soft as you like. great for flushing rabbits and would do it all day were it not for the bang. Terribly gunshy to the point where she cowers If i get the keys out for the cabinet.

She has never attacked another black labrador even one that seems to wear a disguise. see pg2 and six of an earlier post on Staffies.

Jim