Should you uncock a shotgun before storage?

jweaver

I always thought that it was a bad idea to store a gun 'cocked' (I think thats the right word for it) as I thought it puts tension on the mechanism/spring.

But I havn't seen this mentioned.. Is this true for a shotgun? If so, how do you uncock it? I guess you would either have to "dry fire" or put a Snap Cap in the chamber to allow you to fire the gun.

Can someone confirm this as I don't want bad habbits to set in from the start?

Jon

I am going out on a limb here, as I don't even have my shotgun yet (will be getting it tomorrow) and have only had one lesson so far.

But I thought that the ejectors were activated by the "blast" of the cartridge, rather than the firing pin... I could be wrong (and I probably am), but I was under the impression that if you just pull the trigger and release the hammer with no round (or a snap cap) in the chamber, there wasn't enough energy to activate the ejection mechanism....

Are you saying that even without a live round, once you pull the trigger and then break the barrel, the cartridge is 'spat' out?

Jon

I am going out on a limb here, as I don't even have my shotgun yet (will be getting it tomorrow) and have only had one lesson so far.

But I thought that the ejectors were activated by the "blast" of the cartridge, rather than the firing pin... I could be wrong (and I probably am), but I was under the impression that if you just pull the trigger and release the hammer with no round (or a snap cap) in the chamber, there wasn't enough energy to activate the ejection mechanism....

Are you saying that even without a live round, once you pull the trigger and then break the barrel, the cartridge is 'spat' out?

Jon

Yep :good: The ejectors are mechanical and are "cocked" when you break the gun :yes:

what i read in the beretta manual on how to prepare them for storage is you put in two snap caps fire off the hammers then take off the forend and open the barells and take out he snap caps. now close the barrels and put back on the for end. this makes the hammer springs released as the springs will not reset if the for end is not on. not sure if it helps with the ejector springs though maybe some one will know :S

Thanks

Alex

I had no idea about this. I have a Miroku MK70 O/U. Should I buy snap caps?

Your local dealer will no doubt be more than happy to sell you a lovely brass set in time for Xmas, the reality is, they're simply not required, don't bother using them, storing a modern shotgun with it's mainsprings cocked does it no harm whatsoever.

Cat.

Never ever use snap caps, any procedure which encourages the pulling a shotgun trigger when indoors or in a confined area is utter madness. I have seen a complete and total idiot put snap caps (we know that now!!) into his shot gun, pull the trigger, bump the gun on the floor and pull the trigger again IN A CLUB HOUSE FULL OF PEOPLE, what brainless fool would think this is normal or safe.

The snap cap does not remove stress from the spring it only reduces it slightly, and for a spring which only cost a few quid, the risk will NEVER be worth it.

Any gunsmith who tells you that they will have to replace your springs because you left the gun cocked is ripping you off.

Throw your snap caps in the bin, they are just a very dangerous marketing gimmick.

To all the people here that are saying 'use snap caps' have you ever had a mechanical failure due to not using them? Are you talking from experience?

I don't use them. Why not? Becuase i can't be *****.

The gun is a moving mechanical part, it'll wear out at some point while i'm using it, no wait hang, i'll best not fire the gun either, that will cause undue stress on its parts. :good:

I understand what yur argument is against snap caps. But then again, it would not do any harm to use them, would it? I mean, what is the worse that can happen? I just bought a pair of brass snap caps over ebay for £6. Not a major financial burden, is it?

Please explain to me what is the problem with trying to protect your gun, especially if you are anything like me that I only go shooting once a month maybe. I am not being sarcastic, I really want to learn. Please enlighten me.

I understand what yur argument is against snap caps. But then again, it would not do any harm to use them, would it? I mean, what is the worse that can happen? I just bought a pair of brass snap caps over ebay for £6. Not a major financial burden, is it?

Please explain to me what is the problem with trying to protect your gun, especially if you are anything like me that I only go shooting once a month maybe. I am not being sarcastic, I really want to learn. Please enlighten me.

Well as per my previous post, has anyone actually reported failure due to NOT using snap caps? Seems a lot of people are quick to suggest using them but not any of them are as quick to suggest why it's so important, i.e. are you actually protecting your gun at all? If not and then considering the other reasons suggested as to why NOT to use them (below) then maybe they are an issue? Anyway, the choice is yours, personally i'd rather spend £6 of a bottle of red.

-The practice of pulling the trigger in an enclosed space should not be promoted.

-The spring tension is only partially released after 'dry firing'.

-After 'dry firing' you then put tension back on to the ejector springs.

Well as per my previous post, has anyone actually reported failure due to NOT using snap caps? Seems a lot of people are quick to suggest using them but not any of them are as quick to suggest why it's so important, i.e. are you actually protecting your gun at all? If not and then considering the other reasons suggested as to why NOT to use them (below) then maybe they are an issue? Anyway, the choice is yours, personally i'd rather spend £6 of a bottle of red.

-The practice of pulling the trigger in an enclosed space should not be promoted.

-The spring tension is only partially released after 'dry firing'.

-After 'dry firing' you then put tension back on to the ejector springs.

for £6 id rather have the snap caps, even if its for nothing more than dry firing the gun to practice. :lol:

one of my friends broke the firing pin in his mossberg 500 a few years ago, the guy that fixed it told him that closing the breach on an empty chamber contributed to it (along with standing in front of a mirror and dry firing on an empty chamber....) so ever since that i use snap caps. :good:

maybe it is useless, who knows, all i know is that the guy that fixed my mates gun knew a hell of a lot more about guns than me or my mate did (being a gunsmith), so if hed said to stuff a pair of the girlfreinds pants into the chamber to help the gun we probably would :):lol::)

I have used snap caps in the past but no longer bother.

Careful using a spent shell though, asside from the safety implication of slipping a live cartridge in, they will offer little more protection than an empty chamber to the firing pin as the primer has already been fired and now sits sunk into the case.

Edited by Ninj

I use snap caps in my O/U to relieve the pressure on the firing pins but as has been mentioned this then puts the pressure onto the ejector springs (unless you dismantling the gun) but the difference is I can replace the ejector springs myself, i'd have to get a gunsmith / send the gun off to manufactureres for anything to do with internal mech = time & expense. :P

Its one benefit of semi's, you can decock them without a snap cap. :blush:

Mark

Snaps are an anachronism - they come from bygone times when gun springs were hammer forged leaf springs. There was undoubted benefit in relieving these, it did prolong the life of them.

Modern springs are usually coil springs made of best spring steel - the same sort of metal memory is in a gun spring as in a car valve spring.

Now, by wife's Merc 300TE has done 230,000 miles - and thats roughly 50 million spring reciprocations, and there are still fine - indeed, I had a Merc 410 van I sold running at 470,000 miles or 100m reciprocations, and an AA recovery driver told me they sell their relay trucks at a million miles, or 200,000,000 reciprocations

Now, a gun is likely to be loose in the action and in need of a major overhaul by 50,000 firings - thats 100 targets every weekend for 10 yrs, but the springs are still good for several million more cockings.

So, de-cocking is not going to make the slightest difference. If they are going to break it will be from a crystalline flaw in the metal, and they will go sooner of you use caps, not later, just because you are adding 1-2% more trigger pulls to the actions life ( and wearing everything else that moves in the process).

Snaps have good purpose, as coaching aids to prepare a novice by trying the trigger pull, and taking dummy shots at a target; and as a gun smiths aid to test guns after dismantling, and of course anyone buying a gun who does not have the opportunity to fire it should at least action test it with snaps, as will dealer with guns being bought in.

Safety is also a concern. Snaps look very like live rounds in the gun, and live rounds have been mistaken for snaps with disastrous results. An empty gun is clearly not going to go off. Empty is safe.

Lastly, it is poor etiquette to open a gun at a shoot, and have anything in the chambers. To the casual glance , they could be live rounds.

There is little harm to using snaps if you feel it is of benifit, but place them in the gun at home, and remove them before leaving. Leave your snaps at home.

Edited by clayman

Your local dealer will no doubt be more than happy to sell you a lovely brass set in time for Xmas, the reality is, they're simply not required, don't bother using them, storing a modern shotgun with it's mainsprings cocked does it no harm whatsoever.

Cat.

:hmm: and believe me it pains me :wacko:

LB