rough shooting ?

nerooo

Nerooo, seriously mate. :blush:

You need to go out and buy some books my friend!!!! :P

Read up on your subject. It's enjoyable and you'll learn a lot.

Anyway, the answer to your question is that rough shooting involves walking around your shooting land usually with a dog and shooting game that flushes as you approach it.

Driven shooting involves standing at a peg and waiting for game to be flushed towards you by a team of beaters.

cheers

SL

hi i am newbie could you explain me what does mean rough shooting? and drive shooting please?

How did people used to function in the old days before the internet?:blush: Buy a book, make an effort, do some research - you'll find it a load more rewarding that waiting to be spoon fed on an internet forum.

edit - I've just read elsewhere that you now have your SGC. Congrats, but jesus the mind boggles. Sorry to sound like a miserable old scrote but I know the lengths and hassles some have had to go through to prove they are fit to own a shotgun (regardless of legal requirements, I mean the sort of hurdles some FEOs are putting in place) and then you get others who have been granted SGC's already and haven't made the slightest effort to learn about the sport. Everyone has to learn somewhere, but do something for yourself!!! Not knowing what rough or driven shooting means (or elsewhere - "can you decoy pheasants"):P Some of these things are fundemental to our sport and it boils my wee wee that some won't make the slightest effort to learn and expect someone on an internet forum to wipe their **** for them.

[climbs down off soapbox]

neroo - google "rough shooting" or "game shooting" and it'll take you to the BASC website. Spend an hour or two reading and learning: http://www.basc.org.uk/content/gameshooting

Edited by Cushat

Come on guys, the man's a newbie and he asked a question. I've been on the site for almost a year, and what people do (and I am a culprit as well) is take for granted that shooting/shooters terminology is part of the English language.

I've asked silly questions like this at times, and once someone has explained I realise that I actually new exactly what they were talking about but just didn't understand the 'lingo'.

WHAT WINDS ME UP MOST IS INTOLERANCE,.... It's the main reason for most of the **** that happens in this world

This is nearly the year 2009, some people never pick up a book at university and get degrees & other qualifications because we now use I.T. that's INFORMATION TECHNOLAGY... & good for them why do things the hard way as long as you get there in the end.

We should be faltered that someone feels comfortable enough to come on this site and ask who he obviously thinks are the experts for advice,....seams reasonable to me......

But no, some off us judge him, put him down, make him feel stupid, and probably make him think we're a bunch of tw$%&.

Some people have to put other people down so they can some how feel better about them selves....

So if you don't have any advice ( you can give that without been offensive ) just don't answer the posts,......

OH & if you want to slag me off don't bother..... what you should do, is ask yourself just how would it benefit you?

INTOLERANCE, INTOLERANCE! The guys just got a SGC and has no idea. There's something fundementaly wrong in people being granted a SGC when they have no idea about shooting. Surely the correct way is to find out about the sport first, get mentored or get some training and then get the gun when you know how to use it. Personally I wouldn't want to be shooting around people who haven't a clue, I value my bits and pieces and my life too much for that. I'm not having a go at the guy in person as everyone has to start somewhere but lets get things in the right order.

WHAT WINDS ME UP MOST IS INTOLERANCE,.... It's the main reason for most of the **** that happens in this world

This is nearly the year 2009, some people never pick up a book at university and get degrees & other qualifications because we now use I.T. that's INFORMATION TECHNOLAGY... & good for them why do things the hard way as long as you get there in the end.

OH & if you want to slag me off don't bother..... what you should do, is ask yourself just how would it benefit you?

Me, I'd either use my IT skills and utilise a spell checker or learn to spell "technology" correctly.

No slagging off, just some friendly advice.

Me, I'd either use my IT skills and utilise a spell checker or learn to spell "technology" correctly.

No slagging off, just some friendly advice.

no its not friendly advice if that were the cass you would of pm'd me......

I cant spell does it make me any less than you?

what you were doing is saying look everyone IM SMARTET THAN HIM, or LOOK AT ME I'M FUNNY,... you need this to make yourself feel better, & HOW DOES PUTING ME DOWN BENIFIT YOU?

BE NICE..... now you can think of a whitty retort ... or you could think..... maybe he's right whats the point of arguments.

INTOLERANCE, INTOLERANCE! The guys just got a SGC and has no idea. There's something fundementaly wrong in people being granted a SGC when they have no idea about shooting. Surely the correct way is to find out about the sport first, get mentored or get some training and then get the gun when you know how to use it. Personally I wouldn't want to be shooting around people who haven't a clue, I value my bits and pieces and my life too much for that. I'm not having a go at the guy in person as everyone has to start somewhere but lets get things in the right order.

You have a very good point, one which you made without getting personal,

The facts are the law as it stands (right or wrong) says he can have a shotgun ...

SO it seams to me that people like ourselves should do what we can and try to self police, self educate and self moderate our selves in order to protect our sport.

By helping each other as much as we can rather than alienating people and making them more likely to go of on their own......its more likely they'll learn the right things from the right people

OK it sounds a bit simplistic but when the law falls short we could moan & complain or we could step up to the plate.... what do you think?

'By helping each other as much as we can rather than alienating people and making them more likely to go of on their own......its more likely they'll learn the right things from the right people'

Bang on answer from kennym.

Hopefully this guy will come back and ask more questions and learn what a great sport / hobby this is. I do agree though that a lack of knowledge can be dangerous but just because he doesn't know what rough and driven shoots are that does not make his gun handling any more safe or dangerous than mine. He could be a great clay shooter but never been out in the field.

Well said Kennym :blush: Though in this instance I have to agree with Highlander too.

Of course, this is a pool of people's experience and knowledge, though some things are best left to research for yourself!

:P:D:lol:

Agreed?

YES we are all different, and learn in different ways

I like to get all the advice I can then go away on my own and see what works for me, I usually end up picking & mixing the best bits that suit me from all view points,

Im really pleased that the last few posts have all been positive and I belive this forum has a good bunch of people on it.....

you can disagree with someone, thats natural.... its what you do next that's the mark of the man..... you can say

your wrong you fool bla bla bla

or you could say

well thats not how I do it,or I think your wrong why don't you try this or maybe this will help you...

com-on people I know it sounds a bit smashy & nicey or something off the waltons......but you know it right

If you think a question is silly, basic, nonsense, or something similar, then just ignore it.

There is no obligation to answer, nor any need to criticise, or try to belittle the person asking the question.

I bought my first shotgun licence at the Post Office and I don't remember the lady asking me any questions regarding my suitability to have one.

I should add that I didn't know what "rough shooting" meant then either.

Come on boys give him a break just answer the questions and try and help out . If you think the question is to basic for you to answer then go to another topic . If this was an I.T. forum i can assure you that i would be asking some very basic questions ,i have only just found out what L.O.L. means . Harnser .

hi there ,first of all thank you very much for all the explanation as i am glad to see people trying to help as much as they can, i have been shooting with my father for 16 years in morocco, and i have done all kind of shooting some of them you might not have clue what it is and how it look like,any way,when i first arrived to england to become british citizen, first thing i start to look for is how to to get the shoot gun certificate as i cant survive without this hobby, i looked throught the internet and i found what is the procedure etc...after all this i have done some lessons on clay shooting and trying to find out more interesting things about shooting in the uk as it is completely different with the other country i used to shoot, so is not really easy to know every thing in the same time,and is enough to be aware about the safety first which is very important,so please dont panick when there is people like me need help and dont be rude,ask your self how you start i bet you ve been strugling at the begining and you had someone to give yo help, to be honest i would really happy to have someone asking for any kind of information about this sport it doesnt matter how the question is like,by the way i have many books many document as i am trying to read all of them,but please just give me time and i am sure i ll be fully qualified for having sgc licence as you mentioned and dont worry about safety pretty sure i am fully informed.and if this forum is not for help so is it for then?

at the end of the day i always think if you dont know !! ASK !! other wise how do you learn, the guy could of got his shoutgun licence then gone out and learned all he needed to know,whilst practicing at the clay ground and testing different guns out. some people say people should go out and learn before asking what SEEMS like daft questions but after they have been slated on here they will not bother asking about the sport because they feel silly and go out without any knowledge at all and give the sport a bad name then you will slag them off for not bothering to learn lol

i say well done that man for having the balls to ask and keep asking and learning mate :hmm:

As regards to having a shotgun and no idea of shooting, (other than what was reported for this poster), I have a mate who with his father got into clay shooting (father again after a long lay off). Now they are good safe clay shots, but have NO / Little idea of game / pigeon shooting. Luckily for them (perhaps) I have and am able to mentor my mate and give a few hints lessons and a Pheasant or 2 if I have any spare. But some of the questions can seem a bit lame to those who have been doing it for a while, BUT everybody has to start some where. How many on the clay shooters on the sunday morning trip have any want of game / live shooting, and there fore can have a SGC without any requirement of knowing anything about decoying pheasants, driving pigeons, going for a bit of rough in the woods.

Any of the previous mention of testing for SGC or FAC, must then split into 2 levels BAsic / Target and live shooting.

or end up like your driving licence where every thing is a new test and class.

Trev