Advice on a 17HMR

paul hart

I am in the same postition,but do i buy a CZ and spend proper money on the Scope?

Yes, I did. I'm confident that my CZ will equal or better the accuracy on a Quad.

I wouldn't order a Cooper just at the moment. Wait for the drama about Dan Cooper's Obama donation to die down and the US/Sterling exchange rate to stabilise before going down that route. I cancelled my order for an M22 Varminter last month for those two reasons, as Brian Fox couldn't make any guarantees about delivery price.

iv got one but i looked in to it before i put money down on one ..dont go under 18" if you want to keep the speed up on the bullet 18" is as low as you want to go .yes i know you can go 16" and it will still shot bunnys at 110yrds but the best thing about the hmr17 is how fast in gets from A to B but by going under 18" you will be loseing speed ..in the end i went for the 20" one looks small in my hands and its still ok for out the window even with the sak mod on the end ..the only other thing that ruins the hmr 17 is the wind it dont half nock them bullets about so on a windy night or day 75yrds is still the aiming point after that aim into the wind ..another point i will make dont clean your barrel inside to often as it takes mine 17 shots to get it to group again after iv cleaned it ..another thing is i put it down on my ticket to shoot foxs with as well as other stuff but staffordshire police said no ?? if it aint on your ticket dont shoot it..if you do you could lose it ?

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

• 2 weeks later...

CZ for me!

I got the 16" varmint with wildcat whisperer mod, Niko Sterling 4-16 x 50 . Excellent rifle :yes: Scope could be improved but can't believe any rifle could be more accurate than this or need cost any more than this.

Have heard some people have trouble with barrel touching stock (worth checking before buying) but not in my case. Rifle has been excellent, straight out of box, scope & mod fitted, zero'ed & shooting bang on every time i take it out.

BUY ONE!

Terry.

A cz will do whatever the rest will do but cost you a lot less,so its purely cosmetic from there on in.I am pretty sure the rabbits wont notice the difference.I have a cz 16" with sak mod and can cloverleaf it at 85 yards,so if you want the best looking,get something else but as for the end result i cant see how you can get better.

Iv been quoted £315 for a brand new .22 CZ 16". How much more could i expect to pay for a 17HMR new ?

I bought a CZ HMR about four months ago,I was quoted between £350 and £400 from various shop to order one in.Luckly i found one place who had one in stock,snapped it up for £280.

I got the American with a modified SAK and a Swarvo scope, I am very happy with it.

My advice is to go for the CZ, and with the money you save get a very good quality scope, say Zeiss, Pecar, Swarvo, Meopta.

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/new_firearms.html do a good one, you must get the trigger done, it makes a huge difference.

Good luck mate

Just been quoted £369 for a wood stock CZ 17HMR.

Sorry to hi jack the thread a little but once settled on a rifle, ammo, scope and mod is there any other essentails to have with a 17HMR ? IE. is a bi pod a must ? :hmm:

Re- bi pod depends on what you are going to shoot targets probably yes, rabbits then i do not, a bit low for lying in a muddy field in the middle of winter i use shooting sticks so as you can shoot standing up. Also if you shoot prone your angle of fire is lower so you have to think about your back drop a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

I buy my ammo in 2000 round lots as it gets used a lot!

I have had my brno since 2002 and have used it several times a week since. For the first couple of years it was mainly used for targets andmore recently it has been used for mainly rabbits (with the occasional fox).

At a conservative estimate, I recon I must have put at least 7000-8000 through it.

Accuracy wise, I took it to the range last thursday and it was still hitting 1.5" at 100yds and hit a 1" bull at 50yds every time.

If you know the limitations of the round (wind, rain etc), know your distances, and clean the rifle properly, I can see a 17hmr lasting well over 10 years in normal use.