Recoil pads

Patrick1964

I'm a relatively new shooter (6 months) with a B525. I'm starting to enter the odd competition - 100 bird DTL, 75 bird sporting etc, and I've ben advised to use a recoil pad. I don't really notice recoil at the moment (using 28g 7.5 carts) but I don't want to develop shoulder problems in the future. Can anyone offer advise on which types of pad really work please ?

as someone that has suffered with recoil in the past i can tell you that the kickeze pad i had fitted to my miroku has helped me , cant realy recomend any others as ive not used them . hope this helps , they cost around £ 35 from most gun shops , and if you are useless at diy ( like me ) my local gunsmith fitted it for about £30 .

I shoot clays with my game gun - it's got a hard wooden butt plate and I get no problems whatsoever, not even a slight bruise. I usually use 28gram lyalvales and have got through 250 in an afternoon with no discomfort. I took PeterPeter's advice and don't pull the gun in too hard too my shoulder when I mount it which I think has made a lot of difference, as do lighter recoiling cartridges.

SL

I'm a relatively new shooter (6 months) with a B525. I'm starting to enter the odd competition - 100 bird DTL, 75 bird sporting etc, and I've ben advised to use a recoil pad. I don't really notice recoil at the moment (using 28g 7.5 carts) but I don't want to develop shoulder problems in the future. Can anyone offer advise on which types of pad really work please ?

If recoil doesn't bother you now, I'd be quite surprised if it bothers you in the future. I don't feel recoil at all, no matter which gun or which cartridge, though when I was learning to shoot, I was black and blue :lol:

I think that recoil is felt when the gun mount is wrong. I know some of us are bigger, heavier, have more padding and all that flannel, but I can't accept that a bit of a kick from a shotgun would affect us all in such different ways, if we were all holding the thing properly :lol:

My way of avoiding recoil seems to be the opposite of others, I make sure the butt is tucked in hard to my shoulder, no room for any movement backwards at all. If it's got room to move backwards, it'll be punching you. If it's tucked in hard and tight, your shoulder absorbs the lot without getting that punch. You can't punch another bloke if your fist is already pressing into his face, you can only push him and a gun is the same in my opinion.

Edited by Chard

I have a GRaco recoil reducer on two of my guns and a Kick-EEz Sporting pad to finish off, i would not be without one of these for Clay Shooting now and having previously been through all the other recoil reducing sysytems i can honestly say the Gracoil is the best by far, my Danuser seived up, my countercoil was pants and to be fair the Isis waasn't too bad, but this is the best.

Gordon R is right about pads being a bit snaggy for Sporting but if you get the Kick-EEZ Sporting it is schamfered at the top and doesnt snag.

If you do go for a recoil reducer then have the adjustable length one (Graco) for what little extra it costs. I have had one on my current gun for 5 years now.

If recoil doesn't bother you now, I'd be quite surprised if it bothers you in the future. I don't feel recoil at all, no matter which gun or which cartridge, though when I was learning to shoot, I was black and blue :good:

I think that recoil is felt when the gun mount is wrong. I know some of us are bigger, heavier, have more padding and all that flannel, but I can't accept that a bit of a kick from a shotgun would affect us all in such different ways, if we were all holding the thing properly :(

My way of avoiding recoil seems to be the opposite of others, I make sure the butt is tucked in hard to my shoulder, no room for any movement backwards at all. If it's got room to move backwards, it'll be punching you. If it's tucked in hard and tight, your shoulder absorbs the lot without getting that punch. You can't punch another bloke if your fist is already pressing into his face, you can only push him and a gun is the same in my opinion.

Chard,

I used to be the same as you. I could fire anything and not notice the recoil. That was until I had a couple of vertabrae fuse together in my neck and shooting was agony.

I now have a recoil reducer that was developed by a gunsmith friend of mine Jim Spalding. It is very similar to the ISIS but uses oil filled shock absorbers rather than springs.

Once you get used to the gun moving rather than your shoulder it is excellent.

You are right in what you say about pushing a man if your fist is against his face but if you push enough times eventually his head will come off.

Recoil is like whiplash time and time again. It WILL affect you in the end.

The Pachymyr (or whatever it's called :() Decelerator is pretty good. It's a slip on so you don't have to muck around having it fitted and has a smooth plastic bit in top to stop it catching on clothing. Don't use one myself, but have used it and they're very comfy :good:

B)

I have one, its very good! , took the kick right out of the 12 guage shotguns I've used it on.

Although its quite thick,

• 3 weeks later...

Look at either the Microcell pad, on Ebay. Patented recoil reduction.

Or there are the Cervallati pads, and they make a smooth one for gun down mounting ( the diamond skeet pad )

Then again, there are the pads you wear under your clothing - Past Field Pad ( and a ladies version).

All on the Internet.

Evil Elvis - I keep seeing your posts, but something distracts me from their content ;-)

I've been concentrating on DTL recently, my B525 sporter is not ideal, so I'm off to try a Cynergy Trap today, might solve all my problems. I'll keep the Browning for everything else :-)

Well there's good news and bad........the Cynergy didn't fit, and I couldn't hit a barn door with the offered 686, but the Grade 5 MK38 was superb, and is now safely tucked away until tomorrow's ABT comp :-)

Thanks to all at Mid Wales for the advice, patience, and a fair deal.