Best scope for a .243 rifle

Daemo

Hi guys

Please advise which scope would be best suited for a .243 rilfe - it needs to be useful at dawn and dusk and im not sure what sort of magnification to get either - variable or fixed.

My first thoughts are a variable 40mm scope from a quality maker but your opinions would be welcome.

It will be used for fox and deer.

Im thinking of a Tikka or Sako rifle by the way.

Cheers

Daemo

On my Tikka T3 .243, I have a S&B Zenith scope attatched. A brilliant scope but pricy. Before that I had a Kahles 30mm 3-12x56 on it. Another good scope. If you were using it just for deer, I would say get the best you can afford and have a fixed magnification on it. An excellent scope for fox, which is brilliant in low light is the Hawke Endurance 30mm scope, which I now have on my Sako 22-250. This is a very under-estimated scope in my opinion.

Edited by steve_b_wales

Hi Daemo

My .243 rig is a Mannlicher hunter pro II

Scope VXIII 8,5-25 x 50 LR Varmint reticule

PES 12 over the barrel mod

Pros

super smooth action, best match trigger on any .243, positive scope adj, overall lengh good, never let me down (ever)

Cons

Heavy (ish), 4 round mag (pain in A**), eye releif changes with magnification, barrel cooling affected by over barrel mod.

Sum up

Would like to try another mod (ASE Ultra may be) everything else is more than i need.

Edited by TheHunter

I've just ditched my Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x50 on my .243 fox/deer rifle, as I couldn't stand the fine reticule. It was a superb daylight scope, but left a lot to be desired for low-light work. A Meopta 3-12x56 preceded the Leup, an S&B 2.5-10x56 replaces it. Other rifles sport S&B, Meopta or Zeiss glass.

Get the best European variable you can afford. You will probably leave it on 8x or 9x almost constantly, but there may be occasions when you need the higher mag for a long shot, or 3x mag for close-range woodland stalking.

Ah

As I suspected, as many answers as forum members!

Thanks though guys, after reading your views and checking what is available ive pretty much decided on a Tikka Hunter (good gun and I like the woodwork) with a Leupold 3.5-10x50 VX-111 Matte Illuminated Reticle - with a duplex reticule, if they are still on offer in a couple of weeks time.

Both determined by finances but hopefully you'll agree they aren't bad choices.

Not sure about the moderator yet, I won't need it for a couple of months so will decide nearer the time when im more familiar with my set up.

On the subject of bullet types - I don't want to home load, what in your opinions would be the best 2 buys - 1 for foxes and 1 for deer - or is there a one bullet solution?

I won't shoot that many so cost won't be an issue.

Regards

Daemo

You'll find that the T3's 1:10 twist rate suits 95-100gr well. My T3 gives excellent results with handload 87gr V-Max for fox/vermin. To my continued amazement, I get 1/4" groups at 100 yards with factory Norma 100gr soft-points. Sako Gamehead are equally good, but harder to find. Work your way through what's available, and you will find a brand that gives optimum accuracy.

Ultimately if it's destined to be a fox and deer rifle, stick with one round. Mucking about with different trajectories and zeroes causes problems in the heat of the moment. 100gr SPs will certainly do both jobs, and seem to suit that twist rate perfectly.

And get some good ear protection if you won't be using a mod. You'll need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree on a Fixed Schmidt either 6 or 8 power, I use a 6 power so its nice and low on the rifle. Awesome in low light with a great FOV and nothing to faff about with costing you time and possibly the shot. Big zoom scopes with loads of gizmos are fine for on the range or daylight Vermin shooting but at night or when Stalking, zooms and parallax etc are just a pain IMHO.