Landy Discovery

ME

Why don't you test drive a Landcruiser, just to satisfy yourself you don't want one? They must be popular for a reason.

Alternatively, keep looking for a Disco - you know it's what you want, just accept it may take a little time to find the right one.

I would prefer a Jap in the reliability stakes but the Landcruiser is too big to be driving around the country in.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a 2001 TD5 ES in Auto, best car i ever had. Really smooth ride but drank like a fish but I loved it!! Most of the points to look for are listed in the posts above. I had a 300TDI ES before it and that was solid as a rock! Be prepared to dip your hand in your pocket for repairs, most can be done cheaply yourself if needed. unfortunately when it came to replacing the TD5 a year ago I couldn't afford a Disco 3 so now have a Mitsubishi L200 Animal, another very capable car.

Oh and recommend Grabber AT2s on 18s!

If you really have so little self-respect that you'd consider a Japanese 4x4, then buy an Isuzu Trooper. The 3.2-litre diesel only (I recall that the 3.0-litre had a record of failure). I have an L200 for farm work, and it's a dog, totally unsuited to motorway life.

Go on, join the Land Rover brotherhood.

If you really have so little self-respect that you'd consider a Japanese 4x4, then buy an Isuzu Trooper. The 3.2-litre diesel only (I recall that the 3.0-litre had a record of failure). I have an L200 for farm work, and it's a dog, totally unsuited to motorway life.

Go on, join the Land Rover brotherhood.

I am sold on a Disco but just wondered what weird and wonderful Jap stuff Alax was gonna come up with ! :rolleyes:

I went out this afternoon and looked at another one. A silver ES model, 52 plate, black leather, 67k miles the guy is taking my car plus some cash. Happy days.

I will post some pics once I have picked it up.

First thing I would do is uprate the shocks, the standard are **** on the Disco, Ive recently fitted Koni heavy track and the car is much more composed at speed and does not smash you around so much with the 18" alloys, as previously mentioned I will be changing the tyres on mine to General Grabber AT2 as soon as money allows, these are supposed to be excellent especially runing the 18 wheels.

Disco 2 is a great workhorse once youve changed the ****e suspension they put on.

Edited by kingo

I've never felt the shocks on my Td5 to be a problem (mine lacks the air suspension that the ES has). Did it benefit the off-road handling on yours, Kingo?

I run the 18" Grabber AT2s on two vehicles, and they are superb. One set has done 32,000 miles so far. The latest set I got for £95 per tyre, fitted. The hum they create at about 60mph is a fair trade-off for the off-road grip.

I have a set of all purpose tyres on my disco .The other day whilst out pigeon shooting i got into some serious mud . I thought that it was going to be a tractor job to get the disco out . Just sat back ,low range 2nd gear steady throttle at 2000 rpm and let the computer and the traction control take over .The suspension lifted it self up and the car just powered it self out . These cars really are the best off road . I have had them all over the years and the disco is by far the best 4x4 .

Harnser .

Have you disco guys doen the blanking mod ?

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/fitted-eg...01-a-27635.html

though EGR valves are the worst thing ever put on a diesel engine blanking them off has been rumoured to increase combustion chamber temperatures which could crack the head if its ally.

Blanking mostly helps if yours is crudded up and not working properly so its probably best to just clean it.

oh and LV I was struggling to find a jap vehicle once you'd scrubbed all the decent ones :(

was going to suggest a Jimney but it might not fit the macho essex image

Edited by al4x

:( :good:

What do you use to get that out?

ZB

Foul language, a large 360 excavator and a D8 bulldozer with a GBFO winch. A proper Tonka toy extravaganza, but it made a hell of a mess. Less of a mess than the neighbour's attempt to free a Lexion combine from a swamp-like field, using a variety of wheeled tractors, all of which sank to their axles. Farmers Weekly had weekly pictures of such events throughout the rather wet harvest this year.

OK, so heres a pic -

Disco.jpg

When I called up to change my insurance over at Admiral the guy said that they had a special offer on breakdown services. I have never gone for all that but the deal was £29.00 which is a no-brainer. I am now worried that they ONLY offer that deal to Land Rover owners. :good: :( B)

Thanks to all for their input.

Anyone know where I can get it muddy in Essex or Kent, maybe with some tuition ? There may be a Mafia day out in the offing...

Foul language, a large 360 excavator and a D8 bulldozer with a GBFO winch. A proper Tonka toy extravaganza, but it made a hell of a mess. Less of a mess than the neighbour's attempt to free a Lexion combine from a swamp-like field, using a variety of wheeled tractors, all of which sank to their axles. Farmers Weekly had weekly pictures of such events throughout the rather wet harvest this year.

That sounds horrendous, yet fun at the same time.

We had a couple of hairy moments with combines and swampy patches this harvest, scary stuff.

ZB