Landy Discovery

ME

I am contemplating looking at a Disco tomorrow with a view to buying one.

It is a 2002 ES with around 60k miles (diesel, auto). Can anyone give me any pointers to look out for when looking round it please ?

Cheers

LV

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, it's standard issue. Mine is being hammered back into shape after a recent prang. I miss it dearly, as the last month of driving Defenders and Nissuzumitsus has made me appreciate how capable and reliable the Td5 Disco is. Fit some BF Goodrich ATs or General Grabber AT2s, and there's little that can stop you.

LV, watch out for the air suspension (and Active Cornering Enhancement set-up if fitted) particularly, corrosion around the window trim and the 1st-2nd gear change. Sun-roof seals are a noted problem.

In fact I have the LRO Buyers Guide for the Td5 GS model in front of me. I can scan you a copy on Monday and email it to you.

Edited by Baldrick

It kind of is, but for all different reasons. Mung got a previously-loved one off Harnsers mate.

I keep getting grief off the missus for using her car and I need a car that is better suited to shooting, towing and chucking the dog in.

Yep, it's standard issue. Mine is being hammered back into shape after a recent prang. I miss it dearly, as the last month of driving Defenders and Nissuzumitsus has made me appreciate how capable and reliable the Td5 Disco is. Fit some BF Goodrich ATs or General Grabber AT2s, and there's little that can stop you.

LV, watch out for the air suspension (and Active Cornering Enhancement set-up if fitted) particularly, corrosion around the window trim and the 1st-2nd gear change. Sun-roof seals are a noted problem.

In fact I have the LRO Buyers Guide for the Td5 GS model in front of me. I can scan you a copy on Monday and email it to you.

I get the LRO but I give my old ones to Mung after I have read them !!!

I will PM you - cheers.

:lol: Dip the auto box oil and make sure it's a nice cherry red and no darker. Auto box @ 2K fitted.

LB

L.V,

I have the same model and they are heaped with toys (wich i love ) they are quite complex but contarary to common belief they are quite cheap to repair . Lots of cheap spare parts on the internet ( paddock spares ) . If the milage is correct and it can be proved then i would say buy it . Dont forget to haggle if its a dealer you are buying off and haggle again . I have had mine for close on two years and it has not let me down . 60 odd thousand miles is nothing to a TD5 its not properply run in yet . If a private sale then make sure you H.P.I. it before you part with any dosh . If a dealer ask for a hard copy of the H.P.I. report . A service history is very important with a disco and i for one would not entertain a car without a full service history . Best of luck . Harnser . yes mung did get a cracking car off dave .

I am contemplating looking at a Disco tomorrow with a view to buying one.

It is a 2002 ES with around 60k miles (diesel, auto). Can anyone give me any pointers to look out for when looking round it please ?

Cheers

LV

buy a tractor,then you will have a convertable disco. :good:

:lol:

What is it with car dealers ?

Evil Elvis and I go to look at >this car< today.

Without even starting with the mechanicals, we notice -

1 x flat tyre (and I mean FLAT) - we couldnt have test driven it if we wanted to.

2 x big dents in rear door

scuffs on every corner

all the carpets are mouldy front and back under the rubber mats

drivers seat badly worn with no attempt to pretty it up

switches missing from the interior

interior plastics scratched

tyres badly worn on the outsides

1 x foglight cracked

1 x foglight misted up

all the exterior black plastics have white car polish on them (badly) which is near enough impossible to get rid of.

This bunch of muppets are asking top money for a ****box motor. How they think that someone is going to buy that heap of **** I dont know. Are my expectations too high or should car dealers be making a car look presentable before putting it on a forecourt ?!

So, if anyone on here has a nice ES model 2000 onwards Disco with less than 80,000 miles, black leather, auto box, diesel PLEASE let me know. :hmm: and save me from being rude to rip off car dealers !

Edited by LV

L.V.

That car from your discription sounds very much like a bit of a ringer . Your best bet is to look for one privately and deal with the owner, allways a much better way of buying you can usally tell if they are giving you a load of old horlicks . I have allways found that most private sellers are honest and will give you all the facts about the car . The other alternative and the one that i use is to buy from auction . Cars at auction at the moment are very ,very cheap . There is a good auction not far from you at colchester .I have bought several cars from there in the past and they have all been good motors . What ever you do dont buy a disco without a full service history . Harnser .

L.V.

That car from your discription sounds very much like a bit of a ringer . Your best bet is to look for one privately and deal with the owner, allways a much better way of buying you can usally tell if they are giving you a load of old horlicks . I have allways found that most private sellers are honest and will give you all the facts about the car . The other alternative and the one that i use is to buy from auction . Cars at auction at the moment are very ,very cheap . There is a good auction not far from you at colchester .I have bought several cars from there in the past and they have all been good motors . What ever you do dont buy a disco without a full service history . Harnser .

Cheers H,

Normally I wouldnt buy from a dealer but I have a car that I want to PX, I have tried to sell it privately but now just isnt a good time.

I used to buy from auctions all the time including the Mannheim one, I nearly got my fingers burnt with one once - it had previously been involved in an accident, luckily a mate pulled it straight for me.

I will keep a look out and try selling mine privately in the new year, that way I can wave cash at people.

Edited by LV

LV, I just emailed you that LRO cutting without having checked your post. My comment that I hoped the Disco you looked at was OK, is obviously irrelevant. I am astounded that anyone could charge £7k for any '02-plate Disco, let alone one with bodywork damage, mouldy carpets and broken lamps.

Brightwells is the biggest 4x4 auction: http://www.brightwells.com/vehicles/4x4/Ca...00/Default.aspx There are always loads of Td5 Discos on offer, on the face of it, some of them looking fairly decent. I bought mine off Fleabay, a gamble that paid off.

LV, I just emailed you that LRO cutting without having checked your post. My comment that I hoped the Disco you looked at was OK, is obviously irrelevant. I am astounded that anyone could charge £7k for any '02-plate Disco, let alone one with bodywork damage, mouldy carpets and broken lamps.

Brightwells is the biggest 4x4 auction: http://www.brightwells.com/vehicles/4x4/Ca...00/Default.aspx There are always loads of Td5 Discos on offer, on the face of it, some of them looking fairly decent. I bought mine off Fleabay, a gamble that paid off.

Thanks for the PM Alex,

I am gonna sell my existing car in January and keep a look out for one at Brightwells and on Autotrader :sick:

I've had both Disco 1 and TD5, very capable cars indeed.

I would think a few of the same precautions apply with respect to looking out for possible rot. Check to see if the carpet is damp in the front footwells and also the whole rear boot area. I had to cut out and weld in a new rear floor in my D1, which cost me less than £100 in parts but was over a day's work.

Look over the ACE pipes where they are visible running as a group through the offside front wheel arch, if they are greasy looking it can point to leaks. The ACE pump can wear, you get a buzzing, raspy noise at various revs, though a similar sound can actually be down to a heat shield on the engine cracking, or other loose odds and ends. I have that going on in my car now, and it is proving hard to find.

Feel around sun roofs, they are a notorious leaky area.

Browse the Landie forums, lots of info on those.

GOT ONE :angry: 300TDI AUTO, BF GOODRICH A/T TYRES, BEST VEHICLE EVER ??? HAD MINE OVER 2, YEARS BEFORE THAT I HAD A DEFENDER CSW.

THE DISCO IS JUST AS CAPABLE OFF ROAD, BUT LIKE DRIVING A LUXURY CAR ON THE MOTORWAY.AIR CON CRUISE CONTROL AUTO BOX OFF ROAD IS SO SMOOTH AND FAR KINDER ON THE ENGINE AS IT IS ALWAYS IN THE CORRECT GEAR. GO FOR IT YOU WONT BE SORRY :rolleyes::D

I do a few miles for business and the stop/start M25 is no fun in a manual ! I am also a fat, lazy ***.

I went to look at a 2001 this morning, it was a absolute dog, it looked like someone had been banger racing in it and the rust was coming up

under all the window rubbers. DOH !

might be a hint to have a look at something jap :rolleyes:

OK, so what Jap with auto box and leather ? (that isnt the size of a house i.e. a Landcruiser or a Shogun LWB and isnt a builders truck like a Navarra / L200) Oh and needs to be able to tow a large trailer.