Landy Discovery

ME

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks sweet L.V . Welcome to the world of disco ownership you wont be dissapointed . Remember when the going gets tough the disco owners carry on troshing Harnser .

Harnser,

I was delighted to find that it had a heated element front screen.

I always send the missus out to scrape the ice off my car, I have told her that this is an early christmas gift from me to her and she gave me a funny look....I'll never understand women !!! :good:

LV

Edited by LV

Harnser,

I was delighted to find that it had a heated element front screen.

I always send the missus out to scrape the ice off my car, I have told her that this is an early christmas gift from me to her and she gave me a funny look....I'll never understand women !!! :good:

LV

How ungrateful of her.... I hope for that you bought her a shiny new scraper and wrapped it up!

I've never felt the shocks on my Td5 to be a problem (mine lacks the air suspension that the ES has). Did it benefit the off-road handling on yours, Kingo?

I run the 18" Grabber AT2s on two vehicles, and they are superb. One set has done 32,000 miles so far. The latest set I got for £95 per tyre, fitted. The hum they create at about 60mph is a fair trade-off for the off-road grip.

it has stiffended it up and by that i mean the whole car feels more stable and not so bouncy on un even road surfaces, at speed on motorway has been a revelation so much more control and actually feel a lot safer, as for off road only been on a few dirt tracks and thats even better to, so overall a much improved ride over standard shocks..

Well pleased :good:

OK, so heres a pic -

Disco.jpg

When I called up to change my insurance over at Admiral the guy said that they had a special offer on breakdown services. I have never gone for all that but the deal was £29.00 which is a no-brainer. I am now worried that they ONLY offer that deal to Land Rover owners. :hmm::good::lol:

Thanks to all for their input.

Anyone know where I can get it muddy in Essex or Kent, maybe with some tuition ? There may be a Mafia day out in the offing...

try hackney marshes :lol::/:lol::lol::lol:

I have a set of 18" Grabber AT2s on order for my TD5 ES, hopefully they will be here on Friday.

I was thinking of buying some second hand 16" rims and using the taller profile tyre, some used ones were even on this very forum a while back. However a local tyre dealer has a 15% coupon in the local paper so I asked for a price for a full set, and then asked about the coupon and he said "yeah alright then" so I said go for it.

That will bring the cost in at £102 each, so a bit over £400 the set. I will keep the Wrangler HPs it has now as they have loads of tread, and see if I can sell those to help offset this new cost.

I have been up to Droitwich and back today - 400 miles and still quarter of a tank left.

It is very "industrial" to drive compared to my previous car. The cruise control is handy though.

LV you need to be on an earner to fill the tank, or you could have a LPG conversion

Thats Luvalee Potato Guvna :drool:

Pavman,

When they work out how to do a gas conversion on a diesel let me know. I'll have one done.

Cheers

MC

Maybe Pavman knows something we dont. :D Have you been off into the future in your tardis again Dr Pavman ? :drool:

I have a set of 18" Grabber AT2s on order for my TD5 ES, hopefully they will be here on Friday.

I was thinking of buying some second hand 16" rims and using the taller profile tyre, some used ones were even on this very forum a while back. However a local tyre dealer has a 15% coupon in the local paper so I asked for a price for a full set, and then asked about the coupon and he said "yeah alright then" so I said go for it.

That will bring the cost in at £102 each, so a bit over £400 the set. I will keep the Wrangler HPs it has now as they have loads of tread, and see if I can sell those to help offset this new cost.

Be interested to know how you get on with the AT2's on the 18inch rims, Ive been told they dont have a tendancey to track the road so much which will defoe improve the ride more with new shocks this is my next buy.

And as LV says they are very "industrial" to drive but I am trying to make it that little bit less so, I can recommend a change of shocks as this does greatly improve it.

Edited by kingo

Kingo, I think the tyre pressures might be part of your tracking the road problem. On the current set of Wrangler HP tarmac boots my car drives dreadfully if I set the TPs at the book values of 28 PSI front and 38 (I think) rear. Adding 4 psi to both of those made a huge difference. I have not had much really heavy loads to carry, so take these as un-laden and of course cold, ie do not drive even for one mile before testing/setting them.

I will start the new tyres at the higher pressures to see how it behaves on road. I am of course aware that lower pressures are better for offroad as the tyre can conform to the lumps and bumps better. However my reasons for this change are mostly for muddy paddocks, tracks etc when fishing and shooting and not hard offroad stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to leave them at one pressure setting for most of my driving.

yep many moons ago when I used to deliver into BOC most of their lorries were running on a mix of LPG and diesel and that was about 10 years ago. Its not taken off but then neither has LPG in any other vehicle

You would like to think the BOC may have a bit a knowledge on gas.

I am in noway an expert on either gas or diesel but mixing the 2 must be a artform and then getting it in to a fuel pump and injector system would be something else.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so the honeymoon period is wearing off after less than two months of Landrover ownership.

The accelerator pedal is, as described by Mungler, a "volume pedal" as opposed to something that makes it go any quicker.

I have had new pads and discs on the front and all the tyres re-balanced and the steering is still delightfully vague. That is, until you try to do a 3 point turn which requires something the square footage of a football pitch. I have a whole A4 list of other service items that have also now been replaced.

To top it off, I jumped out of it this morning for a total of 20 seconds (opposite Billericay police station) on a double yellow line (I know - it's naughty) and when I get back in I turn the key and just get clicks. Yep, you guessed it a new battery is required. So by 8:30 am I am causing road chaos whilst waiting for a recovery truck to take it away.

Anyone wanna buy a Disco ?..........this bad boy is going in the Autotrader as soon as the DVLA send me the papers back.

"One life, live it" my **** !!!!!!!!!!! :hmm:

Serves you right for buying an automatic.

I thought you might have kept it a little longer than a couple of days, sorry months.

You must have got a pig, I have had mine well over 4 years and have had very little go wrong. I think the biggest expense was 60 quid on a battery.

Serves you right for buying an automatic.

I thought you might have kept it a little longer than a couple of days, sorry months.

You must have got a pig, I have had mine well over 4 years and have had very little go wrong. I think the biggest expense was 60 quid on a battery.

The car is cosmetically immaculate and has been thoroughly checked over by a ex-Landrover technician who says that it is in good mechanical condition.(now)

It is honestly the most awful car for driving experience that I have ever owned and I cannot wait to get rid of it.

LV,

I am sorry to hear that you are not getting on with your disco . You are trying to compare it with a normal road car and there is no comparison .

I have had discos for the past 7 years and 4x4 for the last 20 years . I use mine just about every day off road and the disco is about as good as it gets . Yes they do lack the finesse on road as compared with a normal car but the off road ability is unbeatable . I have the es model and find it a pleasent motor way cruiser at normal motor way speeds .

Perhaps you are being a little hasty in moving it on so soon . I would in your shoes give it a bit more time and try and appreciate what is a very good all round car .

Best of luck . Harnser .