Awesome Cock Pheasant

Wemerick

can some one please tell me where is says its rong to shoot a phesant with a air rifle as i can not find it any where .

just because a phesant is a sporting bird where does it state it can only be shot with a shotgun .

in my view we hunt to kill as long as the gun is capable of killing the animal what is the problem

we were all yong once

how many of you can sware to god that you have never shot a phesant or song bird with a air rifle when you were young .

if you say no then god have mercey on you sole

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can some one please tell me where is says its rong to shoot a phesant with a air rifle as i can not find it any where .

just because a phesant is a sporting bird where does it state it can only be shot with a shotgun .

in my view we hunt to kill as long as the gun is capable of killing the animal what is the problem

we were all yong once

how many of you can sware to god that you have never shot a phesant or song bird with a air rifle when you were young .

Never shot a songbird or pheasant as a lad with an air rifle. I await my burning in hell for eternity :good:

Just out of interest...

I shoot on an 18 acre new plant orchid and a huge phesant site (RATS only NV stuff).

I am also a manger or 130 Waste water sites ranging from cesspits in back gardens to huge waste processing sites of over 200 acres.

On the larger sites we often have Phesants fly in and make their living. I have only shot one for my dad as I really dont like the taste but...

Are they classed as fair game? I have regulary walked up to them at 15m and could easily head shoot them but I may as well shoot a target paper.

I will never shoot something just to kill it for fun, never ever!!!!

We have a big problem on one of our sites with crows that get 'drunk' on the sewage gasses and fall in tanks so I have given permission to shoot crows away from tanks to prevent their bodies from blocking pipes.

My questions are.

On private property are Phesants classed as fair game? What is fair game?

Crows and Magpies seem to sense someone is looking at them, is scrim over the face the answer for an airgunner?

Thanks for looking

Kent

As far as i'm aware. once the game bird has left its breeders/owners land it doesn't belong to anyone. If it comes on to property you own then you can shoot it..

buy yourself a head net with mesh over the eyes that might help.

as long as you own the game shooting rights to the land then yes you are entitled to shoot them. As said they are a game bird and can be a challenging shot, just sadly not with an air gun shame to see it being recommended by so many people on here as they aren't vermin. Yes you can eat them but its not as though people are likely to go hungry if they leave them to shoot in a sporting manner

I can safely say I have NEVER shot a pheasant or a song bird with an air rifle! I await my eternal damnation...

Without getting involved in whether it's acceptable to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle or not, can I just ask why this thread is called "Awesome Cock Pheasant"?

Neither the bird itself (normal size, shape, colour, nothing outstanding) nor the shot (10 yards) are awesome :drool:

But the sporting way to shoot Pheasant is with a shotgun and even better to hunt the bird with a dog.

Exactly, the correct way to shoot oneself a pheasant is to stand in a long line of tweed and wait for a bunch of peasants to shoe a large number of them in your direction. :drool:

I dont think shooting them with rifles is sporting but then again niether is breeding them to be steered in your direction where they have to try and make it past x amount of guns that are lined up waiting for them.

I have shot one with a hmr, it was obviously wounded and couldny fly so i let him have it - to make it sporting i went for a headshot at 100 + yards, got him on the second attempt. He was very tasty but had obviously been winged by a shotgun as i had to spit out a fair few pellets.

:drool: not sure what to say realy. i can see most peoples points though it is slightly more sporting if it was 30 yards away and in flight and shot with a shotty. i think the only time you could call killing a phesant or any game with an air rifle is if you got a headshot while it was in flight. Edited by DomM

"All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by open general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence."

Taken from the BASC website.

So far I've seen a lot of gibber on here about shooting pheasants with air rifles, as far as I'm concerned its wrong and here in Ireland its illegal.

Head shooting pheasants from 10 yards sounds to me like your poaching tame estate reared birds, its shooting fish in a barrel. As for anyone who says that driven shooting is the same its not, try shooting a high bird at full speed and tell me its not sporting.

If you want to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle at least give it a chance to get off the ground.

Shooting pheasants with air rifles...........is for CHAVS!

"All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by open general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence."

Taken from the BASC website.

So far I've seen a lot of gibber on here about shooting pheasants with air rifles, as far as I'm concerned its wrong and here in Ireland its illegal.

Head shooting pheasants from 10 yards sounds to me like your poaching tame estate reared birds, its shooting fish in a barrel. As for anyone who says that driven shooting is the same its not, try shooting a high bird at full speed and tell me its not sporting.

If you want to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle at least give it a chance to get off the ground.

Shooting pheasants with air rifles...........is for CHAVS!

well said :drool:

Edited by lewis

Deeks,

Man you need to taike a chill pill, most lads bought up in the country have tried their luck now and again at Phesants either in the open or roosting with air rifles. Fact of life, it maybe frowned upon over in Cork, and maybe illegal, but over here in rural areas its a bit different.

I've actually chuckled to myself what some of whats been said - what one persons idea of sporting 'shooting' is compared to anothers is quite frankly good reading! Myself - have shot phesants with air rifles when out as a youngster, l wouldn't say its the most rewarding shooting-but it puts a roast on the table!

Decent phesant l thought - although - hold them by the neck next time! - ha ha lol!

maybe i would see a problem with it if he had got into a rearing pen and shot a load of em from 10 yards. you can shoot a rabbit from 10 yards and you dont give that the chance to get away so why does it making sporting if you allow the phesant to get into the air?, if its the odd phesant on land where you have permission to shoot then let it be its not like the tweed wearers havent got enough chance to shoot as many as they want anyway and as for chavs deeksofdoom shut up because it clearly has nothing to do with wether your a chav working class or toff