Awesome Cock Pheasant

Wemerick

My lord. No big deal here IMHO. (I like a bit of controversy)

I can see both sides of the argument.

I got a lovely bird on Monday. 140 Yard neck shot. Also got a boat load of rabbits. Butcher has bunnies and in return he is preparing the bird for me Sunday Roast :drool:

ph.jpg

Edited by ShaggyRS6

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My lord. No big deal here IMHO. (I like a bit of controversy)

I can see both sides of the argument.

I got a lovely bird on Monday. 140 Yard neck shot. Also got a boat load of rabbits. Butcher has bunnies and in return he is preparing the bird for me Sunday Roast :D

ph.jpg

You lazy sod :drool:

Shot about 30, 20 had mixy. Butcher had the rest. I never ask for money, but if i ever need a bit of steak, or some sausages or a bird prepared he will just do it no questions asked.

:drool:

He also taught me how to gut my first rabbit and then hoe to skin them. I love my butcher :D

I don't know why I'm replying to this post because I ALWAYS END UP SAYING THE SAME THING.......

I'm not going to give my personal view on this because it just doesn't matter......(compaints by pm please)

WHEN WILL WE LEARN, I'M NOT A GOODY DO GOODER OR A TREE HUGGER, BUT THIS IS A FACT

WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS, OPINIONS AND VALUES, .....THE FACT IS IF YOU BELIEVE SOMETHING IT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT ....OR MEAN ITS A RULE SOME ONE ELSE HAS TO FOLLOW

.......BUT,.... AND HERE'S THE IMPORTANT THING.....

BEING INTOLERANT TO THE VIEW'S OR BELIEFS OF OTHER PEOPLE IS,.... ON A BIGGER SCALE WHAT MAKE'S RELIGIOUS FRACTIONS KILL EACH OTHER ....

MOST OF THE **** THAT HAPPENS IN THE WORLD IS BECAUSE ONE GROUP OR PERSON WILL NOT TOLERATE OR ACCEPT PEOPLE DISAGREEING WITH THEM OR HAVE OPPOSING VIEW'S....... OK THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS .....

LETS BE SENSIBLE IF I WANTED TO START A RELIGION BEEN A CANIBLE... THAT RIGHTLY COULD NOT BE ACCEPTED....... BUT LOOK WHAT WE ARGUE ABOUT ON THIS SITE.........DOH!!!

NOW I LIKE A GOOD ARGUMENT BUT I DO TRY NOT TO JUDGE PEOPLE FOR BEING DIFFERENT TO ME OR THINK I AM BETTER OR MORALLY SUPERIOR

THIS SITE IS BRILLIANT TO SWAP STORIES, GET ADVICE, GIVE ADVICE OR EVEN BUY & SELL, ....

SO LETS NOT MAKE IT SO PEOPLE ARE AFRAID TO POST FOR FEAR OF HUMILIATION OR REBUKE....

PS I CANT SPELL, I'M NOT EMBARRASSED, SO WHERE WILL POINTING IT OUT GET YOU.......UNLESS OF COURSE YOU NEED TO PUT OTHERS DOWN IN ORDER TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOUR SELF

ERR HOW DO THE KIDS PUT IT ....OH YES......"LETS KEEP IT REAL"

I have to agree with most posts here;

Personally I will not shoot a phesant on my controlled land unless I have a definate person wanting to eat it. I will also use my totaly poor quiet hunting skills to sneak up and only try for a head shot (this will hopefully make me a better hunter? using concelement, camo, stealth etc..PRACTICE). A head shot I will do with all my shooting except for when ratting if I have difficulty with obsticals.

I would only use head shots as if I miss I hopefully I wont wound.

I have shot a blackbird when I was 19 and it sickened me as it was with a friends gun who just found the bird annoying. I was being smug as I was army at the time being weaned off SLR's to SA80's. I was trying to be big and I felt like a **** for 20 years!

I agree that it is very easy to just 'walk' up to a phesant and finish it off. It is not a nice thing to do.

Maybe I am going off the thread now but, as an airgunner I will stick to Vermin - rabbits, crows, grey squirrels and rats as much as poss.

As a manager for a water company I actualy have Corperate responsibility for activities on my sites, pollution, bats, tree cutting, animals etc. I am responsible for all (even illegal), people on land.

I would urge all shooters to scare animals off their shooting areas that are better suited for different guns.

PS I beat for a phesant shoot where I rat hunt on hides and feeders, I could get loads of phesants with no one knowing using my IR unit. So what, it would only make me a pathetic murdering D**K.

Apoligies for the spelling.

If you want to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle at least give it a chance to get off the ground.

Shooting pheasants with air rifles...........is for CHAVS!

Yeah I'm sure it's really safe and sporting firing an air rifle wildly in the air

with the deluded idea that you would actually be able to place an accurate

head shot on a flying pheasant.

Secondly, your quote of the year. "Shooting pheasants with air rifles...........is for CHAVS!"

You know what else is for Chavs? I'll tell you shall I.

IGNORANCE AND NARROW MINDEDNESS! Which you have displayed a lot of with your post.

*****!

as long as you own the game shooting rights to the land then yes you are entitled to shoot them. As said they are a game bird and can be a challenging shot, just sadly not with an air gun shame to see it being recommended by so many people on here as they aren't vermin. Yes you can eat them but its not as though people are likely to go hungry if they leave them to shoot in a sporting manner

I'm not picking a scrap here Alex, but one night out rabbiting I happened to get a rare runner onto a neighbouring farm through a fence - no hedge or other cover - so the bunny kept going for a bit. My grandson did the honours, being more agile than me and came back saying it looked like there were some dead birds in that field and he'd stumbled over one of them.

I went for a looksee and there were loads of dead pheasant left about. I'm of the opinion, though could be wrong, that they were unwanted by those who had shot them. I'm not moralising as they were perhaps bred to be shot for sport regardless of whether they could subsequently be used or sold for food, and it was none of my business if that's normal practice or otherwise on a shoot. I know some people don't eat meat that might contain lead shot so it makes sense sort-of to me given I don't do pheasant shooting.

It's fair to point out that the guy didn't do it for the sport of it but clearly for the pot, as is much of what is taken with an air rifle.

I'm not picking a scrap here Alex, but one night out rabbiting I happened to get a rare runner onto a neighbouring farm through a fence - no hedge or other cover - so the bunny kept going for a bit. My grandson did the honours, being more agile than me and came back saying it looked like there were some dead birds in that field and he'd stumbled over one of them.

I went for a looksee and there were loads of dead pheasant left about. I'm of the opinion, though could be wrong, that they were unwanted by those who had shot them. I'm not moralising as they were perhaps bred to be shot for sport regardless of whether they could subsequently be used or sold for food, and it was none of my business if that's normal practice or otherwise on a shoot. I know some people don't eat meat that might contain lead shot so it makes sense sort-of to me given I don't do pheasant shooting.

It's fair to point out that the guy didn't do it for the sport of it but clearly for the pot, as is much of what is taken with an air rifle.

funny how most anti's who are against game shooting all seem to have see some awful sight of birds being thrown away. To clear it up game shoots simply don't leave birds where they lay. Occasionally you get one or two that aren't picked but its not often you'd find more than that because of the picker uppers who usually do a pretty good job. Its the only form of shooting where you have dedicated dog men standing behind the shooters. As for not eating game with lead in well I can assure you there is still a market for shot birds even if its not in the UK we export a lot to europe. But hey its not something antis like to admit to they like the glorious vision of pheasants being buried or left where they were.

This thread made me laugh an awful lot. As soon as I saw the picture I knew it would all kick off. Personally, I have no issues about a pheasant being shot with an air rifle. I've done it before, and I expect I probably will again, though I do stick to the seasons and have a game liecence an' all!

As far as my brain can figure, airgun hunting and shotgun hunting are two completely different things. Sure, you can stand in a line with a load of blokes and shoot the birds out of the air, or you can stalk them down to airgun range, without being seen or heard, and place one shot in its head.

So really, shooting one with an airgun isn't giving it no chance atall, infact, I'd say that its probably more challenging in the sense that once its off the ground, thats the opportunity over. Though some of them are pretty soild and you could probably use a club to kill it. At the end of the day though, as long as it died quickly, there shouldn't be any problem. As said before, it wasn't shot for "sport", it was shot to eat.

Edited by Vulcha

You have a game license? In Plymouth? Why?

As for "stalking" a pheasant - you may as well walk up to them whistling with a bag of feed. You'll "stalk" them to a couple of yards whereby, as you say, you can then crown them with the butt of whatever gun or stick you happen to be carrying. :good:

Leave pheasants to shotgun shooting is what I say. And yes, I do have airguns as well as shotguns.

I don't know why I'm replying to this post because I ALWAYS END UP SAYING THE SAME THING.......

I'm not going to give my personal view on this because it just doesn't matter......(compaints by pm please)

WHEN WILL WE LEARN, I'M NOT A GOODY DO GOODER OR A TREE HUGGER, BUT THIS IS A FACT

WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS, OPINIONS AND VALUES, .....THE FACT IS IF YOU BELIEVE SOMETHING IT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT ....OR MEAN ITS A RULE SOME ONE ELSE HAS TO FOLLOW

.......BUT,.... AND HERE'S THE IMPORTANT THING.....

BEING INTOLERANT TO THE VIEW'S OR BELIEFS OF OTHER PEOPLE IS,.... ON A BIGGER SCALE WHAT MAKE'S RELIGIOUS FRACTIONS KILL EACH OTHER ....

MOST OF THE **** THAT HAPPENS IN THE WORLD IS BECAUSE ONE GROUP OR PERSON WILL NOT TOLERATE OR ACCEPT PEOPLE DISAGREEING WITH THEM OR HAVE OPPOSING VIEW'S....... OK THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS .....

LETS BE SENSIBLE IF I WANTED TO START A RELIGION BEEN A CANIBLE... THAT RIGHTLY COULD NOT BE ACCEPTED....... BUT LOOK WHAT WE ARGUE ABOUT ON THIS SITE.........DOH!!!

NOW I LIKE A GOOD ARGUMENT BUT I DO TRY NOT TO JUDGE PEOPLE FOR BEING DIFFERENT TO ME OR THINK I AM BETTER OR MORALLY SUPERIOR

THIS SITE IS BRILLIANT TO SWAP STORIES, GET ADVICE, GIVE ADVICE OR EVEN BUY & SELL, ....

SO LETS NOT MAKE IT SO PEOPLE ARE AFRAID TO POST FOR FEAR OF HUMILIATION OR REBUKE....

PS I CANT SPELL, I'M NOT EMBARRASSED, SO WHERE WILL POINTING IT OUT GET YOU.......UNLESS OF COURSE YOU NEED TO PUT OTHERS DOWN IN ORDER TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOUR SELF

ERR HOW DO THE KIDS PUT IT ....OH YES......"LETS KEEP IT REAL"

I love this site, :) but this has to be the best post so far. :good:

every1 has there own views, the boy has stayed within the law, he has probably found it sporting, and he has eaten it.

I once shot a pheasant in season, but did not post the photo on this site until some months later.

Only for the PW police to come at me in force, not to politely ask if it was shot in season, NO they had already made there judgement. I found this humiliating and alienateing and retaliated. If you notice my post count is not massive, this is because i don't want 2 get grilled by the PW police because perhaps my views are different.

anyway i just wanted 2 say WELL SAID KENNYM.

REGARDS TO ALL

turk101

funny how most anti's who are against game shooting all seem to have see some awful sight of birds being thrown away. To clear it up game shoots simply don't leave birds where they lay. Occasionally you get one or two that aren't picked but its not often you'd find more than that because of the picker uppers who usually do a pretty good job. Its the only form of shooting where you have dedicated dog men standing behind the shooters. As for not eating game with lead in well I can assure you there is still a market for shot birds even if its not in the UK we export a lot to europe. But hey its not something antis like to admit to they like the glorious vision of pheasants being buried or left where they were.

I'll agree to disagree with you Alex as I have much respect for what you post on this forum but if you really think I'm an anti you could not be further from the mark.

I profess I know diddly squat about any kind of shottie use and don't disapprove of it in any way. I just feel a tad defensive if and when a fair and clean kill is put down if it was done with a rifle. The field I spoke of was littered with dead birds. I have never seen that before and can accept it was maybe a one off - for whatever reason, it certainly struck me as very odd. There's a lot of fox on the patch so maybe they were left for them to keep them away from the pens.

To be fair if the bird strayed away from its holding area and onto someone elses land it's available to someone else for other reasons and justifications.

Lets stoke the fire

I dont think its matters how you kill birds and animals, which is what we are talking about here as long as its done cleanly and with no prolonged suffering. I personally would not use an air rifle on pheasant as I dont think I am a good enough stalker to get the shot with that weapon (talking wild bird here not ones raised in a pen and used to humans looking after them), but I would use a 22 rimfire. If your not breaking the law whats the problem. Not everybody shoots for sport, some people shoot to eat.

Edited by sodit

ok,been reading this debate....

not going to comment further after this, so im not ignoring you all,just not into silly arguments,but think about this...

i dont shoot shotgun as its not really my thing,but.

there must be an art to shooting one so you could still injure a bird with a badly placed shot.

if one shotgun pellet hits it, it is smaller than an airgun pellet and may not kill.

but because you can use a shotgun its not so bad.

any good airgunner can group 1 inch at 30 yards.

thats....headshot...dead.

or miss...unlucky...un-harmed bird.

airgunners enjoy the stalk,the countryside etc etc,not just bang bang and blast away on driven shoots.

dont get me wrong guys,i go and watch mates shoot shotgun,rimfire and centrefire.

its all a chosen art.

but

just because you have a shotgun licence doesnt necessarily make it the chosen weapon.

its the person firing its skill.

the young lad took the bird on his land,cooked and ate it, and is proud of it and respectfull.

he doesnt look like he's shooting in the local park.

shooting gets enough bad press,were all on the same side,arent we?:hmm:

good on you mate,i'll take the flack.

thai.

Edited by THAIBOXER

Its time some of us on here remembered we were young once and in todays world we need to encourage youngsters into what is becoming an old mans sport ( ask any wildfowling club how many members are under 18 and it will be very few ). The bird was on land where he had permission to shoot and the bird was killed cleanly so what is wrong with using a air rifle. He will learn an air rifle is not the best weapon to shoot pheasants and probably graduate to a 12 bore. As for a sitting shot , when you first start shooting it’s the bird in the hand that’s most important rather than how hard the shot was. I know when I first started shooting 40 years ago I shot a few mallard sitters before my sporting instincts kicked in.

The important thing he is proud of his prize and its sown the seeds of a new sportsman.