lanber not firing all the time

preece3

hello can some one help me a little had a go with an over and under lanber last weekend i was told it was a older one anyway i found with low recoil cartridges it will only fire the bottom i put some more powerfull cartriges in and most times it fired both but not allways, is there a way to fix this?

regards

john

Get it serviced?

I too have an older Lanber, most of the time it works OK but sometimes it won't fire the second

barrel. If I mess about with the selector and safety switch it seems to get worse so I

tend to leave it safety off bottom barrel.

Time for a service, but I don't want to be unable to shoot for the time it's away being

fixed.

Nial.

Your gun is fitted with inertia blocks to help stop double discharges. If the gun is mounted loosely to the shoulder, or has low recoil carts, there is no pressure wave reflected up the stock to set the inertia block to allow the second discharge. You can prove this by firing the gun, and if the second barrel will not allow a trigger pull, bang the end of the stock firmly ( while holding the gun safely), and you will find the barrel will fire.

Often this is not just the carts, but a loose grip and mount by the shooter compounding the effect. It could be just pulling the gun back firmly in the shoulder and keeping your weight forward will cure the problem, or having the action internals cleaned and oiled if its dry may fix the problem. Otherwise, either the gun will need mods for the carts you are using, or change brand.

Your gun is fitted with inertia blocks to help stop double discharges. If the gun is mounted loosely to the shoulder, or has low recoil carts, there is no pressure wave reflected up the stock to set the inertia block to allow the second discharge. You can prove this by firing the gun, and if the second barrel will not allow a trigger pull, bang the end of the stock firmly ( while holding the gun safely), and you will find the barrel will fire.

Often this is not just the carts, but a loose grip and mount by the shooter compounding the effect. It could be just pulling the gun back firmly in the shoulder and keeping your weight forward will cure the problem, or having the action internals cleaned and oiled if its dry may fix the problem. Otherwise, either the gun will need mods for the carts you are using, or change brand.

Re the bit about firing the first barrel and then banging the end of the stock firmly - IM HOPING CLAYMAN MEANS YOU TO DO THIS WITH NO CARTRIDGES IN THE CHAMBERS - PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS WITH LIVE CARTRIDGES IN THE CHAMBERS.

With regard to your gun the simple fact is that you should be able to fire the first barrel of the gun (EMPTY OF COURSE) and then whilst holding the foreend you should be able to select the second barrel by slapping the but plate (the slap does not have to be that hard really). If the gun is not firing the second barrel (ALSO EMPTY OF COURSE) under these circumstance go and see a gunshop/smith who will fix the problem for you - it deffinitely sounds liek the inertia system is failing. This should not be a particularly expensive repair (around £20 - 40) Just had the same issue with my Beretta.

Just had same issue with my 20 yr old Beretta S682.

was fine with white gold XLR 28g, tried some low recoil carts, 2nd barrel would not fire (would if you switched the barrel selector over). As Evo said, sensitivity needed changing. Gunsmith from where I bought gun from had it for a day or 2..... has been fine since but have only shot once - but did put 21g loads through on the clays.

my advice, off to the gunsmith

funnily enough i also have a lanber and whilst shooting DLT last sunday missed with the first barrel went for the second but the trigger wouldn't pull, only did it the once and has been fine since. will keep an eye on it. i didn't know if it had anything to do with the cold weather, it was brass monkeys so i assumed any lubrication might be stiffer.

funnily enough i also have a lanber and whilst shooting DLT last sunday missed with the first barrel went for the second but the trigger wouldn't pull, only did it the once and has been fine since. will keep an eye on it. i didn't know if it had anything to do with the cold weather, it was brass monkeys so i assumed any lubrication might be stiffer.

Brass monkeys - excellent point, never thought about that..... Although I doubt it is 'that cold' and are the internals made out of such temperature sensitive metals??

I have this problem with my o/u lanber as well, the gun dealer took it in and had a look and could not find a problem, I have even tried 32g carts. The gun is less than one year old, I am not happy so I have sent it back and got a refund and purchased a hatsan instead and it’s the best gun I own.

IM HOPING CLAYMAN MEANS YOU TO DO THIS WITH NO CARTRIDGES IN THE CHAMBERS .

Yes and no!

You can't test this symptom without firing the gun, but it needs only be the first barrel.

Put a live round in the first barrel and a snap in the other. Mount the gun and discharge the first barrel safely. See if the trigger pulls on the second barrel, where the snap is. If it doesn't, without opening the gun, bang hard on the butt plate ( a good way is to kneel and holding the gun vertically barrels up, bang it down on the ground to simulate recoil). Try the trigger again and if the action now works, it proves the inertia blocks were not getting sufficient kick from recoil to set them.

If this is the case, give the gun to some other shooters and see if they also get no second barrel with the same cartridges. If they do, but you dont, its the way you are holding the gun, or your clothing, absorbing the recoil to the extent that the inertias do not set.

While an action clean and service may cure the problem, if its a combination of light cartridges and loose hold, you will need to change either cart brand, or the way you support the gun in the shoulder.

Yes and no!

You can't test this symptom without firing the gun, but it needs only be the first barrel.

Put a live round in the first barrel and a snap in the other. Mount the gun and discharge the first barrel safely. See if the trigger pulls on the second barrel, where the snap is. If it doesn't, without opening the gun, bang hard on the butt plate ( a good way is to kneel and holding the gun vertically barrels up, bang it down on the ground to simulate recoil). Try the trigger again and if the action now works, it proves the inertia blocks were not getting sufficient kick from recoil to set them.

If this is the case, give the gun to some other shooters and see if they also get no second barrel with the same cartridges. If they do, but you dont, its the way you are holding the gun, or your clothing, absorbing the recoil to the extent that the inertias do not set.

While an action clean and service may cure the problem, if its a combination of light cartridges and loose hold, you will need to change either cart brand, or the way you support the gun in the shoulder.

Sorry to be a pain in the **** - but why risk using live cartridges when banging the gun on the floor - a simple lack of concentration (some people have been known to do this) and a live cartridge ends up in the top barrel. End result man with no head whilst trying to select second barrel after first does not have the balls. Totally pointless. If the live round does not select the second barrel whats the point of using a live shell in the first place??? You might as well skip the first step as suggested above as by deffinition - the shell has obviously not selected the seond barrel...

Just had mine sorted at PSG - simple remove stock and give the trigger/inertia mechanism a spray with lube..... The gun now selects the second barrel with a slight slap on the butt plate and I have no doubt a 21 gram shell will have more than enough balls to replicate the recoil effect of the slap I have suggested.

WHY RISK PLAYING AROUND SLAPPING GUNS WHILST USING LIVE SHELL/S? ...... Sorry to contradict you clayman but its POINTLESS AND SILLY

Any modern/ish gun should select the second barrel even with the reletively low recoil of 21 gram carts - I do agree with the think clothing phenonmenon though.. Try to lean 'into' the shot when taking the first (and second, gun willing) bird.

Edited by Newsportshooter

I used to have a lanber 2097 sporter, the first few times i shot it it only fired the first barrel, various people at my shooting ground helped and in the end i found that i wasn't letting my finger all the way off the trigger. This happened alot more in DTL as you are taking 2 shots in quick succession. I don't know wether thats the answer but it worked for me.

Sorry to contradict you clayman but its POINTLESS AND SILLY

There is a point to this procedure, and its a standard one a professional coach would use.

This is to prove if its a gun fault or a user fault.

The symptoms described can occur when there is no fault with the gun, it is entirely with the way the gun is mounted, and by whom it is mounted.

Discharging a cartridge in test is perfectly safe, no different from firing at a clay, and the second barrel test can be on the snap cap.

There is a point and there is a safe way of doing the test.

I used to have a lanber 2097 sporter, the first few times i shot it it only fired the first barrel, various people at my shooting ground helped and in the end i found that i wasn't letting my finger all the way off the trigger. This happened alot more in DTL as you are taking 2 shots in quick succession. I don't know wether thats the answer but it worked for me.

i think that's the problem i had, plus the fact i was wearing gloves probably added to it