Fishing in Cuba.

M ROBSON

Well I ended up booking a day out for the last day of our holiday due to other plans and just my luck the weather was ****!! It was very windy and the captain couldn't get out to his usual spots, the sea was very coloured too so no big fish. :lol:

Still I managed a few small un's and the wife caught her first two fish ever so it was still a good day. :oops:

3520983_05b9b9e101.jpg

You lucky b@%*$#d!

I spent a fantastic fortnight in Cuba on honeymoon 2 years ago during which I managed to persuade the newly acquired wife to go on a days sea fishing, not once but twice. We trawled the caribean sea getting a sun tan all day long for two days and didn't get a nibble. From the look of your picture it was the same place as you.

We did enjoy having lunch that consisted of gorging to bursting on freshly caught lobster whilst bobbing up and down on the cystal clear caribean.

Deako

Thats not funny!

Alans at least a foot smaller and I'm much better looking. :lol:

Greeneddie

Were you at Varadero??

We had fresh caught lobster too, my missus didn't like the look of it so I had two! :oops:

There were some really nice fish caught the day before, large Barracudas and those funny shaped Dolphin Fish.

Stirky

I'm off work till the 26th so i'll be out as much as I can to make up for the rest. :lol:

Hi there M Robson,

Paul from north lincs is right they are garfish or needlefish to use another name,I lived in the Cayman Islands for 5 years {not far from cuba} and we used to catch them from the jettys when fishing for livebait,

Hope you had a good holiday.

Greeneddie

Were you at Varadero??

We had fresh caught lobster too, my missus didn't like the look of it so I had two! :oops:

There were some really nice fish caught the day before, large Barracudas and those funny shaped Dolphin Fish.

We were at the Sandals resort in Varadero. On both of the days we went out no decent fish were caught by any of the boats. It was a real pitty as I sat there all day waiting for a run thinking that any momment now I could be into a monster marlin, with dreams of Ernest Hemmingway and 'the old man and the sea' going through my head. The lures that they used were pretty big so I'm guessing that we were after something sizable.

Also a pity that we didn't catch as it wasn't cheap!

The needlefish as there known in portugal are one of the strongest fish i have felt. Went out on the only boat we could find which was a shark fishing boat, trouble is the only sharks around were the captain and his mate. Anyway decided there was f$%k all about so through some rubby dubby over the edge and got some of the needlefish interested. I had a spotter on the top telling me when to strike and we got one and when there big they really go for it!!

If any of you are bored on holiday like i was give it a go its worth it.

Here's a pic of another type of fish I caught a few of. They look pretty weird and had quite sharp teeth. They were up to 12" long and took bread paste fished from the bank. Does anyone know that they are?

3590533_6c97c72a79.jpg

Looks Like a gor fish to me!

I caught one of Hayling last summer. It was similar in colour to mackrel but it went illuminous in colour within an hour or so. I used it for bait but they are supposed to make verry good eating.