Rabbits

the_haganizer

Hi,

Im going for my first time out after rabbits in a couple of weeks and was wondering if people can give me tips on what the best method to shoot the best is? Should I try and be on the move most of the day, or does sitting in an area that they might go past be the best method?

Thanks

Robo

I`m just starting to take an interest In the rabbits as well mate :yes: and what stag has said Is sound advice :)

I went for a wander during the day looking for droppings and burrows and then went out at night armed with a big lamp to see where the bunnies were feeding.

The next time I will take the gun and be more prepared and hopefully bag a few :good:

good luck mate.

jase.

the only way you'll really get to know where and when the rabbits are on your shoot is to spend some time out on the land. Walk/drive round it a couple of times to get your bearings, safe shooting etc then get out as often as you can with the rifle.

when i first started shooting i used to make little maps of specific areas where i had identified rabbits to remind me of the approach directions, prevailing wind, safe direction and all the other good stuff - fieldcraft is half the fun imo :good:

What time are you planning to shoot.

Dusk, dawn, noon or are you lamping ?

Go for many many gentle strolls arounds & take note of what & where you see things.

Take your time, the rabbits will know you'r comeing.

Strange thing is you can charge around with a noisy quad & use shotties or go slow walking with a silenced rifle.

Either way rabbits will either stay put or run.

They will know your there.

Noon is not a good time to go by the way.

Well one of the places that I am planning to go and shoot is a Scout camp site.. so i know my way round there really well from times that I went there as a young'un.. Im supposed to be helping up there this weekend with some stuff so may have a look round and see what I can find. Is taking pictures of likely areas with a digital camera helpful at all? Liek same places but different angles?..

And I'm planning to spend nearly full days there.. going out for say 2/4 hrs at a time, then going back to the main shed for a nice warm cuppa! :good:

Robo

Edited by the_haganizer

Get yourself a 'decent' pair of binoculars, and the best time to go spotting is dawn/dusk. This is also the best time to go stalking them. By using binocs you will be able to see them before they get spooked by you and dash for cover.

If you are using an air rifle, then lie out near dusk near to the warren/high activity areas.

If you have it wear full cammo gear - including a face mask and gloves.

Be aware of the wind - it's normally a waste of time trying to stalk them downwind of you.

What type of gun will you be using?

Don

the shoots i go on the rabbits are out at all times no set pattern but i admit best times are dawn and dusk i go regular at about 10 am for a wander round checking for fresh droppings etc but i usually drop a couple rabbits and magpies at the moment hard to check for droppings because of the sheep it looks like a load of marbles there dropping i have never seen so much s--t in 1 field before.roll on summer

Yeh, I went and had a wander round the site today.. found a couple of borrows and the grassy areas nearby in-between the trees have quite a lot of droppins on them, so have looked at a few good spots overlooking those areas.

I'm going to be using a BSA Ultra Multi .22, I'll also have my mate there with my secondary rifle in case it's needed which is a Gamo Shadow .177, not quite as powerful but will do the trick at short range :good:

Any other tips from you guys?

Thanks for those so far

Robo

just dont expect to hit anything the first few times you go. It can take a while to get the hang of your kit, and where and when you should be shooting. If you can, leave your mate behind, you will make less noise if there is only one of you. try and get a small, filtered lamp or gun light and use it as little as poss. I find that the best times are just after dark, and first light. make sure you have killed plenty of paper first, so you know what your range will be like. Like others have said, the wind can play a major part in it, so always be mindfull of were you are in location to the burrows. Make sure you have a base to go back to with a bit of cover if the weather is crappy. Prep all your kit the night before, so you have time to rethink if you need it. Always leave a flask in the car with a hot brew, as it can lift your spirits when the shooting is poo. Make sure you have got a copy of your paperwork with you, in case the plod stop you on your way there or back. Put on two pairs of socks, as your feet tend to get a bit cold out at night, and there is nothing worse than cold wet feet. Rabbits dont have the best eyesight in the world, but can pick up the slightest noise from a great distance, so make sure you switch your phone to silent. Try and get a headshot every time, as runners can make you feel ****, and leave the animal to a slow painfull death. Have a good look round in the daytime for any natural cover near the burrows, and if poss try and get into that cover before nightfall so you have time for your scent to disperse. Let the rabbits come out of the burrow, dont be tempted to shoot it at the first sign of its head, as a dead rabbit blocking the burrow entrance can ruin the rest of the night. Take some black bin liners and make sure that when you clean them, you have a bag for meat, and a bag for rubbish. Try and clean up, not just after yourself, but if you see rubbish that others have left, pick up that as well. Once you have got your shooting clothes sorted, (pref dark/cammo) dont wash it the night before in Persil, and dont have a shower before you go, as the scent of Lynx Africa can make them a bit nervous. Have a second light to hand, so when looking for shot quarry, you can find them easy. If you miss on the first shot, dont worry, you might still get another shot in, so sit still and wait for the dust to settle.

I think that covers most of it, but im sure others will add what i forgot. Have a great night out and dont forget to take a camera to post a report :good:

Thanks for all the advice guys!! :look:

After being in the scouts (dib dib and all!!) for a great number of years I'm pretty familiar with the lay of the land and with most fieldcraft btu that'll improve with practice! Whilst I was up there today I did see that there were a good deal of logs around so may be tempted to build a couple of little sehlters when I'm up there next time.. keep the rain off and provide nice support for the rifle.. sound like a good idea or waste of time?

Does anyone else keep a log of survailance done?.. little maps etc, or is that a little OTT? :good:

I have also been asked to shoot squirrels on sight as well, so got to keep that in mind.. :lol:

And don't worry, when I go out I'll be sure to keep you posted on what happens, and get some good pictures if I can! :lol:

Robo

Thanks for all the advice guys!! :yes:

After being in the scouts (dib dib and all!!) for a great number of years I'm pretty familiar with the lay of the land and with most fieldcraft btu that'll improve with practice! Whilst I was up there today I did see that there were a good deal of logs around so may be tempted to build a couple of little sehlters when I'm up there next time.. keep the rain off and provide nice support for the rifle.. sound like a good idea or waste of time?

Does anyone else keep a log of survailance done?.. little maps etc, or is that a little OTT? :good:

I have also been asked to shoot squirrels on sight as well, so got to keep that in mind.. ???

And don't worry, when I go out I'll be sure to keep you posted on what happens, and get some good pictures if I can! ???

Robo

Firstly, if you build it, they will come. just make sure you do it a few days before hand.

secondly, this is shooting rabbits, not special ops on a cocaine factory in El Salvador.

Yehyeh ok, I did wonder whether the sond was a tad OTT, but if I was to go stalking deer then I'd more than likely keep a log, so I knew where the best places were..! Was up there again today, no shelter building though.. but saw some hunking great big tree-rats and a muncjac, also actually saw some rabbits on the areas planning to shoot so at least they are still popping round those areas! ???

Am thinking that the first trip should be just after Chistmas, maybe before, but have to get a compressed gas sticker for the back of the car first so can take the cylinder with me to top up! :good:

Look out for the post to see how I get on! :yes:

Cheers

Robo

Ive been shooting Rabbits on my land for a long time now with my Air Arms s200. An ive noticed that when you get round to shooting them try not to go out on a quiet night as theyll hear you coming. Instead just sit and wait for them. Ive noticed if its a nice day the rabbits may be out in the afternoon. Otherwise early morning or evening.

Right now im off Rabbit Busting.

Yehyeh ok, I did wonder whether the sond was a tad OTT, but if I was to go stalking deer then I'd more than likely keep a log, so I knew where the best places were..! Was up there again today, no shelter building though.. but saw some hunking great big tree-rats and a muncjac, also actually saw some rabbits on the areas planning to shoot so at least they are still popping round those areas! ???

Am thinking that the first trip should be just after Chistmas, maybe before, but have to get a compressed gas sticker for the back of the car first so can take the cylinder with me to top up! :good:

Look out for the post to see how I get on! :yes:

Cheers

Robo

you know what, i was thinking about this the other day. i dont have one in mine, but it might be worth while.

I put a brown jacket and trousers on, get some playboy bunny ears and hop towards them :welcomeani:

Good advice that you've been given in the above posts. I would, in your situation, find a good spot of high activity and lie there and wait for them to pop out. You're really not going to get any long range shots in if you're shooting an air rifle, so stick to sensible shots that will kill the rabbit easily.

Remember to get the wind in your face too. They'll not come out if they can smell 'eau de hunter' in the air.

Good luck

Oh and if you're shooting at night, avoid a clear, full moon night. They'll spot you before you spot them

Edited by harfordwmj

I dont have one either!! Be nice to know if it is a legal requirement or not though!! Anyone know??

As is the case with some topics on this forum I got the urge (sad as it is) to find out more about this (I think they call it thought evoking?)

Anyway read the doc on the link and I think you'll find the answer.

It would appear that you dont need such stickers unless you are operating as a business or transport certain (large) ammunts of said hazardous substances..

I would suggest that it would be benificial to emergency services if you where to put such a sticker on your vehicle (in the event that the vehicle should 'catch fire' etc), it may also be good to identify your vehicle should it be stolen (and also may be a requirement of your insurers if you are routinely carrying such items - this is just a thoughtI dont know whether this would be an issue or not). On the con side of things it could identify your vehicle as 'rich pickings' for certain unscrupulous individuals (tools on board etc). Either way it would appear to be your decision not law. I could be wrong but read the doc for yourself..

http://www.bcga.co.uk/preview/publications/L12005.pdf

Edited by Newsportshooter

On the con side of things it could identify your vehicle as 'rich pickings' for certain unscrupulous individuals (tools on board etc).

http://www.bcga.co.uk/preview/publications/L12005.pdf

http://www.online-sign.com/build_sign.php?pic=17

or look on ebay for the suction type signs - that way you can remove it whenever you aren't carrying the bottle. :rolleyes:

Rabbits see movement perfectly and thats what gets them running so use cover if your moving around. Most important learn to guestamate distances eg my rifle is zeroed to 55 yards but I know where on the milidots in the scope where 75yds, 65yds, 45yds, 35yds, 20yds are :good:. If you can match that ranging to the bunnies in the field your laughing :sick: as this is why most people miss :oops: apart from poor shooting technique ;)