Which 4x4 Would You Rate As The Best?

golden_cocker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The answer to the question, "What's the best 4x4?" seems to be, "Mine."

Perhaps it's a mixture, depending on use, as (it pains me to agree) Henry D wrote? I'd like a tarmac cruiser for trips up and down the M1 with a bit of mud either end, so Range Rover / X5. But I'd also like a Tonka toy for mucking around at weekends, Defender.

At the moment I have a Jeep Cherokee - worst of all worlds - but very reliable and good on the motorway.

Ive driven swb and lwb defenders but never owned one as i feel they just arnt reliable enough im not knocking them as i really did enjoy driving them and they look fantastic even though the old defenders i drove were old 90's with a gear change like a stick in toffee and which struggled to reach 50mph i well remember doing an offroad course in Kuwait and one of the two landys overheated after an hour.

My vote is for Daihatsu fourtrack. Mine is an old tatty 2.8tdl that has done 100k and is suffering from the 'tin worm' but it has never let me down or got stuck and only cost me a grand 18 months ago. my next 4x44 will probably be a 4/5 year old Shogun or terrano..

Oh dear ive bought neither the shogun or the terrano............ im picking up a disco td5 on an 03 plate saturday..

Edited by luckytrigger

I'll add another vote for the Defender 90. Cracking off road and ok on road if you're not a comfort freak. Depending on how rich you are (repair bills) my choices would be a 200 or 300tdi (cheap and reliable, easy to fix) or td5/new model (quicker on road but need a computer to fix!).

I have an L200 at the moment. I've had three and until recently have been very happy with them. I'm having trouble with the 4x4 light on the latest one though and it's been in four times to the main dealer, still isn't right! I'm dropping it for a tdi Defender Hi-cap when I can afford to. Landys may play up occasionally, but they're dead simple and cheap to fix :yes:

Ive driven swb and lwb defenders but never owned one as i feel they just arnt reliable enough im not knocking them as i really did enjoy driving them and they look fantastic even though the old defenders i drove were old 90's with a gear change like a stick in toffee and which struggled to reach 50mph i well remember doing an offroad course in Kuwait and one of the two landys overheated after an hour.

My vote is for Daihatsu fourtrack. Mine is an old tatty 2.8tdl that has done 100k and is suffering from the 'tin worm' but it has never let me down or got stuck and only cost me a grand 18 months ago. my next 4x44 will probably be a 4/5 year old Shogun or terrano..

have a terrano and love it .... but .... i dunno if id trust it for some real off roading as its high compared to most.. i tend to use it for long distance driving as its sooooo comfy compared to my octy vrs !!!!

must admit though i do want a new defender :oops:

I'll add another vote for the Defender 90. Cracking off road and ok on road if you're not a comfort freak. Depending on how rich you are (repair bills) my choices would be a 200 or 300tdi (cheap and reliable, easy to fix) or td5/new model (quicker on road but need a computer to fix!).

I have an L200 at the moment. I've had three and until recently have been very happy with them. I'm having trouble with the 4x4 light on the latest one though and it's been in four times to the main dealer, still isn't right! I'm dropping it for a tdi Defender Hi-cap when I can afford to. Landys may play up occasionally, but they're dead simple and cheap to fix :oops:

whats wrong with the light?

If its flashing its just a front axle sensor playing up makes it think its not in 4wd but odds are its working fine. Personally I'm not a landy fan as I need something I can drive every day and not worry about it and have a certain level of comfort. hence I've got an L200 which is a big improvement on the fourtrak before it.

Al4x, thanks for the reply. It's already been tested and the sensor replaced. A lot of parts of the system have been looked at but it's still not happy. The light randomly flashes when driving on the road in 2wd, like it does when it's trying to engage/disengage, but for a long period. I'm not sure how the system works, but it has a leak somewhere!

My shogun had the flashy light problem when i got it but it has gradually went away the more i used the 4wd system.The previous owner never took it off road thus never used the 4wd.I doubt it will be a fault with the vacuum pump or pipes i the 4wd is working,it sounds more like a bad connection on a wire.

Even if you dont go off road a lot you should use the 4wd every now and then as things can sieze up.

or a mate with a large tractor. Tyres are more important than the type of 4x4, my L200 was travelling far better round the shoot than the couple of defnders on saturday, and that was mostly in 2wd. But its on mud terrains and they're on pretty much road tyres, can't see the point but hey guess they know what they're doing.

It all depends what you mean by a 4 x 4, as all tend to be compromises on what you want them for.

I've had two Subaru Foresters, and did over 120,000 miles in each. Totally reliable.

The maxi sun roof was excellent for shooting out of, and for a urban 4 x 4 both were excellent. The ground clearance was fine for most things apart from serious mud-plugging, and if you want to do this get a Defender, and be deafened, wet, and don't expect it to be reliable.

I think that the Nissan X Trail is now slightly better than the Forester, and the number of Nissan garages far outnumbers the Subaru.

Hilux and other pick-ups are excellent, but the length of the beast and turning circle can be an absolute pain.

It all depends on what you wants from a 4 x 4....

Don