Which 4x4 Would You Rate As The Best?

golden_cocker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unless you want to spend your precious spare time under the bonnet of a Defender (which wont allow much spare time for shooting?) then without doubt my vote goes to the Daihatsu Fourtrak! They are so underated by folk - why do you think farmers love 'em? Everyone knows farmers are shall we say wise where they spend there hard earned dosh! Not only are they cheap to buy but good on miles to gallon (around 30-32 with mine) bloody reliable and solidly built - apparently some Landrover owners have put Fourtrak engines into Defenders? ???

post-792-1235485383.jpg

Grand cherokee is next to useless if you're offroad, we managed to get stuck in a lake bed in oman in one in that a ford focus could have probably got out of. Had to get the local police to pull us out with his car

I am going to goa nd see if I can fit into a Grande Cherokee tomorrow and a Disco but Mrs does not like them.

Ian

never ever got 30mpg out of my fourtrak, 25 if lucky. They're getting old now its hard to find one the dreaded tin worm hasn't attacked badly

that might have something to do with the weight of your right foot? :good: Mines at 192,000 miles and still pulling well! Do plenty off road with it got a set of grizzly claws for offroading events otherwise normally bfg all terrains

Love my Shogun Sport.

Drives really well on the road and seems to go most places off road (got stuck once but so did a trooper and disco, we all needed tractor assistance)

Best bit is, i get the sooting stuff, dog and everything else in it, gets kacked in mud, but a quick trip to the kosovan wash on the way home and it looks like a respectable car again.

Down side - £21k four years ago now worth £6k. however for those looking for a cheap 4x4 theres plenty of good cheap ones about.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
bloody reliable and solidly built - apparently some Landrover owners have put Fourtrak engines into Defenders? :blush:

i am putting the engine in my defender at the moment (well soon)

however the body on the fourtrak i got the engine from rusted to pieces, having said that the chassis and all the bolts came un done easily :blush:

The fourtrak is really reliable we've got one, and it's a superb small tow vehicle although I find it a bit lacking in ground clearance off road. I've also got a range rover classic, which is great offroad, but not too reliable and uses a whole lot of petrol.

As for what i'd rate the best, It would be the 80 series landcruiser , front and rear difflocks as standard. Closely followed by the nissan patrols, the GU swb and lwb (although they are massive)

im looking 4 a four track , looks good go any where.so iv been told

Don`t rule out suzuki grand vitara, mid 2000 looks a bit naff but built on a solid platform cheap to run and pretty good in the rough stuff, mabe not the best but if your on a budget they take some beating, and jap reliability

SJ413, SWB if it is the same chalk and cheese as the Vitara and Jimny scenario then it is top notch and will not be beaten, especially with a lift and good rubber.

My jimny, with road rubber, will go places my TD Vitara never could, however towing the TD V was king !