SAK Moderator not on ticket

tinytim38

Can someone tell me what is the situation if I had a moderator on my ticket to purchase, but chose instead to buy a SAK moderator which was purchased unproofed for use on an air rifle and was then to fit the same moderator on my rimfire.Without it being on my ticket as it was only purchased as an air rifle moderator.

How would I stand if I was challeneged by plod.

Yep, as soon as it goes onto the rifle it would be classed as a firearm, and as mentioned would need to be on your ticket or I guess it would be an offence under Section1 of the firearms act.

Dont worry about the proofing thing, my SAK aint proofed either, doesn't bother me at all, if I sell it I'll just sell seperately :oops:

Nice to see another user on here local in the Vale ;)

With regard to moderators on your ticket, in order to use a moderator of any description on the front of a Sect 1 firearm you must be licensed, this is shown on your FAC alongside the rifle, to show you have permission to use one.

So you could have say a .22RF that you are licensed to use a moderator with and a .17HMR that you are NOT allowed to use a moderator on as you have not requested to use a moderator with that rifle.

You do not have to have the moderator proofed for general use on RF rifles, but you DO fo selling purposes. There has been a lot of fuss over this, ask Roger at SYSS.

You would not be able to purchase a moderator for a Sect 1 Firearm without a blank slot for one on your FAC, sometimes the RFD will not sign off the moderator on your ticket, this usualy occurs when you assure him that it will only be fitted to an air rifle.

With regard to moderators on your ticket, in order to use a moderator of any description on the front of a Sect 1 firearm you must be licensed, this is shown on your FAC alongside the rifle, to show you have permission to use one.

So you could have say a .22RF that you are licensed to use a moderator with and a .17HMR that you are NOT allowed to use a moderator on as you have not requested to use a moderator with that rifle.

You do not have to have the moderator proofed for general use on RF rifles, but you DO fo selling purposes. There has been a lot of fuss over this, ask Roger at SYSS.

You would not be able to purchase a moderator for a Sect 1 Firearm without a blank slot for one on your FAC, sometimes the RFD will not sign off the moderator on your ticket, this usualy occurs when you assure him that it will only be fitted to an air rifle.

Just a quick one on this - a genuine question - How then did I buy my non proofed SAK mod for my quad (if it could not be sold unproofed?)

Edited by Newsportshooter

If you already have a mod then depending on the wording don't worry too much. My slot just stated sound moderator aquired so were I to get an airgun one and put it on then who would know it wasn't the one thats on the ticket. However if you have just the one then you will need to write to plod and say you have aquired an airgun modertor and as it is suitable for rimfire you have added it to the slot on your ticket.

Just write to your police force, tell them you have a mod on your sub 12ft/lbs air rifle and would like to now use it on your rimfire. Write the details on the mod on your cert in the place for guns bought or aquired and job done.

Have done this a few times and it is just as easy to remove them afterwards.

With regards to proof, wouldn't worry about it on a .22lr, not the most powerful round in the world. Even some centre fire mods are not proofed on purchase as if it has a .300 cal hole in it they don't know what you are going to put it on. Could be a .300 whisper to a .300RUM. I had a T8 on my .223 that was not proofed, and my 7mm ASE was only proofed as it went to the proof house with a newly threaded rifle.

If an RFD sells a moderator for use on a section 1 firearm, it MUST be subject to proof testing, and stamped to confirm that it has passed.

If you do not belive me, sell a NoN Proofed Moderator fitted to a .22 RF and then phone PC Plod and tell him what you have just done :lol:

All the best

Have just phoned a mate in the trade who says that as the result of a stated case back in 2002 (Jackson Rifles)

NO moderators for small arms have to be proofed, and nor do barrels that have been cut.

So I them called a mate who works in a Proof house who stated that they Must be proofed if fitted to any firearm,

not just sect 1, so check your hushpowers chaps???

This is the same for barrels that have been screw cut,

It seems that like a lot of firearm legislation its all open to interpretaion, one says this the other says that.

If you are in any doubt, CALL YOUR FLO after all it will be him with your nuts in his grasp if you do fall foul,

Take care

Edited by A Sick Old Man

It werent the police that classed sound moderators as Firearms, It was the government when it imposed the Firearms Act 1968 which defined a firearm as being "a lethally barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other missile may be discharged." The term includes prohibited weapons, component parts of lethal or prohibited weapons and "any accessory designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon". I think that moderators regarded to as silencers back then were thought of as sinister devices that only the likes of James Bond would have a use for.

Edited by ozzy518