Cormorants and the BBC

Pike

On BBC breakfast news this morning it was reported that due to "the government caving in to presure from anglers" the RSPB is now concerned that so many birds are being killed that national levels may be at risk.

They should come and have alook at my place - 35 this morning!!

I know what you mean Pike,

Theres loads inland in my area too.

Collingham Wier on the trent was alive with em, the last time I was fishing there; and an owner of a massive commercial fishery called me only yestursday to see if I could shoot some of the marauders that have been attacking his stocks. He said that they were coming at first light, having a good feed, then clearing off!

Paul in North Lincs.

On BBC breakfast news this morning it was reported that due to "the government caving in to presure from anglers" the RSPB is now concerned that so many birds are being killed that national levels may be at risk.

They should come and have alook at my place - 35 this morning!!

Now theres a horrible combination, BBC and the RSPB, makes me shudder.

They've done for loads of lakes round here but in a funny sort of way I can't totally blame them for adapting and surviving, after all it's humans that have knocked the bo**ocks out of their normal food source by drastic overfishing inshore. Ask the guys who go beach or estuary fishing how often they see a cormorant these days.

Tin hat firmly on !!!

They've done for loads of lakes round here but in a funny sort of way I can't totally blame them for adapting and surviving, after all it's humans that have knocked the bo**ocks out of their normal food source by drastic overfishing inshore. Ask the guys who go beach or estuary fishing how often they see a cormorant these days.

Tin hat firmly on !!!

No need for the tin hat mate because your right. :oops:

The RSPB claim there are only 3145 breeding pairs in the UK.

What a load of rubbish, there are that many at least, in Kent.

Isn't "3145" a funny number ?

They could have said, "about 3000", but they want us to believe they count them all.

Wait until the grebe population starts to suffer.

I have seen cormorants chasing off grebes (both varieties), as they are in competition for the same food.

When the silver fish decline, the kingfishers will be next, as there will be no fry for them.

Then the herons.

Its already happening in some lakes in Kent.

What will the RSPB say then ?

I would love to say that I am now hammering the cormorants on the countrypark but after much procrastination and despite acknowledging the damage they are causing the Local authority I work for decided it couldn't risk being seen to kill anything and stopped the licences!

Country Park - my ****!

If anyone knows of a good underkeeper / countryside manager position going let me know

Pike

I would love to say that I am now hammering the cormorants on the countrypark but after much procrastination and despite acknowledging the damage they are causing the Local authority I work for decided it couldn't risk being seen to kill anything and stopped the licences!

Country Park - my ****!

If anyone knows of a good underkeeper / countryside manager position going let me know

Pike

Sorry to hear that pike :lol:

How and to whom does one apply for a license?

My brother-in-law is a very keen coures fisherman, out virtually everyday, regardless of weather. He keeps mithering me to shoot cormorants that are on a local water, and have caused serious damage. The problem may be similar to pikes, as the water forms part of a linear park which has a boundary onto it, but the water is owned by a local estate, on whos land I have permission to shoot pigeon, rabbit, hare and corvids.

Webber,

the licences can be applied for at the DEFRA offices or on the DEFRA website. A DEFRA officer will contact you to discuss the problem and ***** the damage - he will also probably ask for a site visit. Provided you have the land owners permission (which is where I fell down - because my place is owned by 'the council' ie. a chanmber of local MP's most of who have never set foot on the place), everything should go through and you will be given a cull quota.

Speak to Lurcherboy as I believe he now has a couple of cormorant shoots.

Pike