hares???

lowlander

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the legal implications but I have a fairly strong moral stance on this. The hare is a UK Biodiversity Action Plan species (and therefore afforded some legal protection in certain areas, though not particularly robust) and is the second fastest decreasing mammal in the UK (after the water vole), so regardless of whether you CAN shoot it, it is more a question of whether you should in my opinion.

ahh i thought that was the case :lol::lol::hmm: ... but what would you do if the farmer asked you to shoot them if spotted one. :hmm:???

You can shoot it during the day time, but NOT on a Sunday as it is also illegal to shoot game on a Sunday. I am doubtful that you will spot many during the day though, you will have to walk a lot of fields through before you see one bolt.

From the BASC site, code of practices

Restrictions on the taking and killing of rabbits and hares

The night shooting of rabbits and hares by tenants or occupiers of land, who are not the owners of the land, are subject to the following restrictions (the restrictions do not apply to landowners).

Landowners need to be aware of the legal restrictions of shooting hares at night:

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 amended Section 6 of the Ground Game Act and Section 50 of The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948, to allow night shooting of ground game under certain conditions.

England and Wales: it is lawful for the occupier of any land himself, or one other person authorised by him, to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game at night if the occupier has the written authority of a person entitled to kill or take the ground game on their land e.g. holder of shooting rights. The following conditions apply:

1. No person should be authorised by the occupier to kill ground game except:

a) members of his household resident on the land in his occupation

:lol: persons in his ordinary service on such land e.g. employees

c) any other person, bona fide employed by him for reward in taking and destruction of ground game

2. Every person so authorised by the occupier, on demand by any other person having a concurrent right or any person so authorised by him in writing, must produce their written authority. In default, a person would not be deemed to be an ‘authorised person’.

Under the Game Act 1831 Section 30 non-compliance with any of the above restrictions may make the person taking ground game a trespasser within the scope of poaching legislation e.g. trespass in pursuit of game. A defence that the person had permission from the occupier would not apply.

Scotland: the following criteria apply:

It shall not be unlawful for the owner of the shooting rights on any land or any person holding those rights from him, or the occupier of any land to use a firearm for the purpose of killing ground game thereon at night

The occupier of any land shall not use a firearm to kill ground game at night (except where he has exclusive right) unless he has obtained the written authority of the other person or one of the other persons entitled to kill ground game

An occupier who is entitled to use a firearm for the purpose of killing ground game, may be subject to the provision of Section 1 of the Ground Game Act 1880, which authorises one other person so to use a firearm. 'Common Law' permits a landowner to take and kill game on his land, and, subject to reservation, an agricultural tenant, as occupier, to kill ground game for crop protection.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act defines 'ground game' as hares and rabbits.

'Night' is defined as one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise.

CLOSE SEASON

Rabbits and hares

There is no close season for rabbits or prohibited time of taking with the exception of the provisions of the Ground Game Act 1880 and 1906, relating to the taking of rabbits on moorland and on unenclosed land.

There is no close season for hares, but they are included in the definition of game and are therefore protected on Sundays and Christmas Day.

The Hares Preservation Act 1892, Sections II and III makes it an offence to: sell or expose for sale any hare or leveret between the months of March and July inclusive, but does not apply to imported foreign hares. This Act is applicable to England, Wales and Scotland.

Taking hares at night

Under the Hares Act 1848, and Hares (Scotland) Act 1848 it is an offence for 'anyone to use any firearm or gun of any description at night for the purpose of killing game'. This is an additional offence to night poaching where game is being shot during the night which begins one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise. The Ground Game Act (as amended) and The Agricultural (Scotland) Act 1948, appear to override the prohibition on night shooting of hares by occupiers or persons authorised under the Acts.

Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 it is now illegal to shoot Mountain Hares (Lepus timidus) at night with the aid of a lamp or image intensifier, or at any time using any semi-automatic weapon with a magazine capable of holding two or more rounds of ammunition. However, licences can be granted to allow night shooting under certain circumstances.

Moorland and unenclosed land

In England and Wales, under the Ground Game (Amendment) Act 1906 occupiers or authorised persons may only take and kill ground game on moorland or unenclosed land between 1 September and 31 March inclusive. In addition firearms must not be used for such purposes between 1 September and 10 December. This prohibition can be waived, provided all persons having a statutory right to take and kill game enter into an agreement for their joint benefit, to kill ground game by the use of firearms between 1 September and 10 December.

In Scotland, the occupier of land or persons authorised by him may kill ground game on moorlands and unenclosed lands (not being arable), in the occupier's occupation by all legal means other than by shooting over the whole year and by the use of firearms over the period from 1 July to 31 March.

THE

Edited by Doggone

Not sure on the legal implications but I have a fairly strong moral stance on this. The hare is a UK Biodiversity Action Plan species (and therefore afforded some legal protection in certain areas, though not particularly robust) and is the second fastest decreasing mammal in the UK (after the water vole), so regardless of whether you CAN shoot it, it is more a question of whether you should in my opinion.

Second fastest decreasing mammal :lol:?? Surely a hare is faster than a water vole ! :lol:

Is this one of those" badger type surveys"where they come out with a load of rubbish or is this acctually based on some knowledge,as i have not seen so many hares as i have this year(or maybe me shooting all those foxes is starting to help mr hare)I dont shoot them as i dont eat them but i shoot the occasional one for a friend.

Am I the only one who has a significant objection to shooting hares with a piddly little air rifle?

Treat the damned animal with a bit of respect and use a shotgun with an appropriately heavy load. Something like 36g #4s as a minimum. Better still, use a .22 centrefire.

And would you be wanting to eat said animals; I agree with you entirely on the use of air rifles against hares though.

Andy

Is this one of those" badger type surveys"where they come out with a load of rubbish or is this acctually based on some knowledge,as i have not seen so many hares as i have this year(or maybe me shooting all those foxes is starting to help mr hare)I dont shoot them as i dont eat them but i shoot the occasional one for a friend.

No, this is based on data gathered. The problem is that these surveys always appear skewed as, while there may be plenty where you are, there are other places where they used to be present and are no longer. Therefore, people who see them regularly (I include myself in that as my job takes me to where they are likely to be) will not necessarily see that they are in trouble as there has apparently been no change (or indeed a possible increase) in your area, but these figures are accounting for the UK as a whole. It is possible that there has been a general increase in numbers since the surveys were done as I believe the data is a few years old now, but I guess we won't know until the next ones are done.

Edited by 955i

Andy, of the 186 hares I have shot this year (using shotguns or a .243), all bar twelve have been salvaged for the pot (I love hare casserole and hot-pot). I am shooting them at long range over sugar beet and emerging cereals, where a CF is really the only tool. Hares cause considerable crop damage, and where there are hares, there are ******. I get no enjoyment whatsoever from shooting such elegant animals, but it has to be done.

Hares are big animals with thick fur and musculature. It amazes me that anyone would consider using something so pathetic as an air rifle on a hare.

sorry if i gave everyone the wrong impression but i would never shoot a hare with an air rifle just as i wouldnt shoot a fox with one. i just wondered what the laws were on the subject. :lol::lol::hmm: sorry if i gave you all the wrong impression :hmm:???

lowlander

Edited by lowlander

Andy, of the 186 hares I have shot this year (using shotguns or a .243), all bar twelve have been salvaged for the pot (I love hare casserole and hot-pot). I am shooting them at long range over sugar beet and emerging cereals, where a CF is really the only tool. Hares cause considerable crop damage, and where there are hares, there are ******. I get no enjoyment whatsoever from shooting such elegant animals, but it has to be done.

Hares are big animals with thick fur and musculature. It amazes me that anyone would consider using something so pathetic as an air rifle on a hare.

You mentioned ******, they are the only reason I've ever shot any amount of hares. I was asked before the coursing ban to clear an entire farm, because the illegal coursing was becoming an epedemic. I lamped them one night and my choice of rifle was the .22 WMR. I tried where possible to headshoot them to save the meat damage, but a few of the further ones I neck or heart shot. The result was invariably a clean kill, but some of the body shot ones were in a right mess.

I don't know how they process hares at the game dealers, but they were more than happy to take them whatever state they were in. .22 RF is definitely not the tool unless shooting at a range you can guarantee to get a good headshot every time. I use a 22/250 for foxes and occasionally I'll shoot a rabbit for fox bait. I just wouldn't even want to try to salvage any thing from said rabbit, esp. if shot in the rib cage.

Andy

are we going to debate this all over again? :lol:

Baldrick, whether I agree or disagree with the thread subject is neither here nor there but

I do object to your "dissing" with seeming contempt the weapon that a huge amount of "hunters" use to great effect against a wide array of quarry

inappropriate maybe, underpowered for the job maybe,

pathetic, sorry mate you are out of line

TP

Baldrick, whether I agree or disagree with the thread subject is neither here nor there but

I do object to your "dissing" with seeming contempt the weapon that a huge amount of "hunters" use to great effect against a wide array of quarry

inappropriate maybe, underpowered for the job maybe,

pathetic, sorry mate you are out of line

TP

:lol:

airguns are fine for doing hares, pheasants, foxes...ect..ect :lol: