hares???

lowlander

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're lovely looking ,majestic animals.... i feel, a true image of the country side...... but they taste great. :lol: best meat ive had in my pot.

as for the air gun issue, they are a big gnarley looking beast, id guess something serious in the rim/centerfire dept would be prefered.... but i bet you wouldnt fancy being on the recieving end of a shot from many an air gun....

I do not condone the shooting of hares with an air rifle. It does not have enough power to do significant damage and there is no way you would be able to get close enough to it to kill the animal instantly in broad daylight.

Lowlander did say 'If I' so there was no implication that he was planning on doing it, he was merely asking a sensible question. I would however like to point out the above and I hope he reads this, as a pellet will not kill the animal cleanly.

If you have land and you can shoot on it, why not ring your firearms department and ask if the land is signed off for rifles and get an FAC (and SGC if you don't already)

EDIT: I only just spotted that you're 15 on your profile. This will not stop you from getting a SGC, but it will for a FAC. You are legally allowed to shoot on land that you have permission on and you can shoot on your own

Edited by harfordwmj

Baldricks right in general but if you do have the skill or luck to get within 25 metres of a harey rabbit and your a safe shot it's a done deal and good in the pot or the butchers window.

Common sense should rule chaps :lol:

LB

sums it up. :lol:

Can we also while we are here clarify the sunday shooting. Only in Scotland is shooting banned on Sundays and Christmas day. Right?

Jim

From the BASC

Sunday and Christmas Day Shooting

England & Wales:

No game (including hare) may be shot in any county on any Sunday or on Christmas day.

Before the passing of the wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, Orders prohibiting the shooting of wildfowl on Sundays could be made under the provisions of sections 2 and 13 of the Protection of Birds Act 1954. Although Sunday Orders can still be made under Section 2 (3), none have been made. However, some Sunday Orders made prior to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 have not been repealed and are still in existence. They have the effect of making it illegal to shoot wildfowl on a Sunday in the following counties (or parts of counties in existence before the 1974 re-organisation):

Anglesey, Brecknock, Caernarvon, Carmarthen, Cardigan, Cornwall, Denbigh, Devon, Doncaster, Glamorgan, Great Yarmouth County Borough, Isle of Ely, Leeds County Borough, Merioneth, Norfolk, Pembroke, Somerset, North and West Ridings of Yorkshire.

Scotland:

There are no statutory restrictions on the killing of game on Sunday or on Christmas Day although it is not customary to do so. Wildfowl may not be shot on Sundays or on Christmas Day.

Northern Ireland:

All wild birds in Northern Ireland are protected on Sundays or on Christmas Day, under the Wildlife Order NI.

I do not condone the shooting of hares with an air rifle. It does not have enough power to do significant damage and there is no way you would be able to get close enough to it to kill the animal instantly in broad daylight.

Lowlander did say 'If I' so there was no implication that he was planning on doing it, he was merely asking a sensible question. I would however like to point out the above and I hope he reads this, as a pellet will not kill the animal cleanly.

If you have land and you can shoot on it, why not ring your firearms department and ask if the land is signed off for rifles and get an FAC (and SGC if you don't already)

EDIT: I only just spotted that you're 15 on your profile. This will not stop you from getting a SGC, but it will for a FAC. You are legally allowed to shoot on land that you have permission on and you can shoot on your own

This is very true ,but what i have just witnessed with this is that ,you have actually looked at his profile and checked out to see how old he is .Unlike the majority of people on here (me being one of them )take it for granted that all members are mainly adults ,and when a so called adult asks a question that we may not like then we are quick to jump down there throat .But from a young persons point of view this is a rather important question for them. Maybe if it is at all possible to have the age on with there main details so we can see straight away how old this person is ,and then respond accordingly.

As i do believe we all may of posted somewhat differently if the age was visable ,not just in this topic but many others too ,I also agree that airguns are a fantastic tool but for the right job .

Daz

Am I the only one who has a significant objection to shooting hares with a piddly little air rifle?

Treat the damned animal with a bit of respect and use a shotgun with an appropriately heavy load. Something like 36g #4s as a minimum. Better still, use a .22 centrefire.

you are on the airgunners section.so whats the piddly little air rifle comment about :good: it may come as a shock to you,but members in this section quite like piddly little air rifles :oops:

How many of us with SGC and FAC started of with "piddly little airguns?" I would bet a vast majority and i'm not ashamed to admit that i'm one either. Everyone has to start somewhere the experience gained from it whether it be marksmanship or safety can only lead to a more responsible and safe user of an FAC at a later date if the user wishes to go down that route.. I'd certrainly feel more comfortable going out with a newly certificated FAC or SGC holder if i knew that they had several years experience of air rifle use rather than someone who just gets their ticket and gun and has "all the gear and no idea".

That said, I am not in favour of shooting Hares and certainly not with a sub 12 ft/lbs air rifle. I have one permission where the landowner wants Hares shot and they all get dispatched with head shots with the .17hmr.

you are on the airgunners section.so whats the piddly little air rifle comment about :drinks: it may come as a shock to you,but members in this section quite like piddly little air rifles :yes:

I responded to the thread, because seeing the words 'hares' and 'air rifle' in the same sentence really boils my ****. The Airgunners forum gets these occasional gem questions.

I like air rifles too: I own and use several, and have done for decades. I too started off with an air rifle when I was a nipper. However I don't care a jot if I offended you: in the context lowlander's question, air rifles are piddly and totally inappropriate.

Am I the only one who has a significant objection to shooting hares with a piddly little air rifle?

Treat the damned animal with a bit of respect and use a shotgun with an appropriately heavy load. Something like 36g #4s as a minimum. Better still, use a .22 centrefire.

i agree ..... but i also think the hare should be protected for a few years or we are just gonna loose it totally :yes:

i understand culling for crop damage etc but i think just shooting it for the sake of it ( cos u think ur .177 or .22 is the worlds most powerful rifle ) should be banned .

Edited by jinxy72

You cannot protect something for 'a few years', once its on the list we loose it as a quarry for ever.

Since the courseing ban some estates have cleared out the hares as they take a lot of looking after wot with all the illegal coursers about. People have the atttitude that if we cant hunt em were not increaseing their numbers for the ####s to dog em.

I love running lurchers and greyhounds but there are so many poachers after the hares round here I dont feel I can justify slipping my dog on a hare.

I responded to the thread, because seeing the words 'hares' and 'air rifle' in the same sentence really boils my ****. The Airgunners forum gets these occasional gem questions.

I like air rifles too: I own and use several, and have done for decades. I too started off with an air rifle when I was a nipper. However I don't care a jot if I offended you: in the context lowlander's question, air rifles are piddly and totally inappropriate.

so then you dont care a jot,if you offended me.thats ok.by the way ive started with an air rifle and thats where i am staying.by the way how big is a hares head at 35 yards.about the same as a bunny maybe. :yes::drinks:

so then you dont care a jot,if you offended me.thats ok.by the way ive started with an air rifle and thats where i am staying.by the way how big is a hares head at 35 yards.about the same as a bunny maybe. :drinks::santa:

:yes: lets blast the ****ers Col :yay::D:lol: :lol:

so then you dont care a jot,if you offended me.thats ok.by the way ive started with an air rifle and thats where i am staying.by the way how big is a hares head at 35 yards.about the same as a bunny maybe. :yes::drinks:

Please just leave hare control to shotgun and rifle users, who have the right tools for the job. Use enough gun.

not quite sure who states that hares are in decline it seems like a bit of a non truth to me (i can only speak about my area of course) the other night while out foxing i counted 68 on freshly harvested beet fields in not too large an area, don't often shoot them myself unless anybody wants one for the pot.if i can just ask you baldrick as you seem to have stirred up quite a large pot yourself, when you shoot a hare with a 243 i assume they are only any good for stew or mince

i think people underestimate sub 12lb air guns y are these no good for hares if they can kill a human surely it will kill a hair humanly also my rifle will shoot through quarter inch of ply wood n i think that will be much thicker than a hares skull

A legal limit air rifle is more than capable for effective despatch of a Hare Peter.

This thread started off innocently enough by a new member asking if a air rifle was enough to kill a Hare. Well it is and nothing will change that fact if it is applied to a reasonable distance and there in lies the problem :bye2:

Other than coursing and trapping/longnetting most other methods will mosh a hare and ruin it for the table and I have yet to see one that hasn't been cavity polluted by a heavy round or shotgun cartridge which is obscene and also ruins it for those of us that like a full bloodied one at the table.

Personally I think that the only way to hunt a hare is with a cur as this mythical creature, and it is, should be rewarded with freedom if it can elude it's pursuers IMHO.

I have had three with a black widow when the opportunity has arose :/ and also shot them for £7.50 a time for the French market who appreciate one of the best game fare available.

LB