hares???

lowlander

Personally I think that the only way to hunt a hare is with a cur as this mythical creature, and it is, should be rewarded with freedom if it can elude it's pursuers IMHO.

LB

Have to agree with that

Hares are very easy to stalk and I find nothing sporting in taking one with a Rifle but if the landowner wants rid and you want to keep the permission then i suppose I'd oblige reluctantly with a HMR .

One of my permissions has lots and the trouble I have is identification under lamp conditions .If I can get unusually close in I know its a hare but mistakes can happen .

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same here they can look like a rabbit but twice as far out.

As for the piddly air gun comment, the objectors need to try a .243 and then try and argue they aren't just an ittsy bit pathetic in comparison :bye2:

We're also fortunate enough to have plenty of hares on one permission we've not stopped shooting them on another we potted a few this year for the first time because of the damage they were doing. These are shot with HMR's which do the job very well but I must say i do find them sporting on a proper hare shoot but haven't had the chance of one for years

if i can just ask you baldrick as you seem to have stirred up quite a large pot yourself, when you shoot a hare with a 243 i assume they are only any good for stew or mince

The vast majority are head-shot, therefore almost all carcases are in relatively good condition (certainly good for the pot). The few that are chest-shot are used for dog food or fox bait. When circumstances allow, I use a .17HMR for head shots, leaving the carcases undamaged.

Baldrick,

As usual you and l see eye-to-eye on this. My brother shot a hare once with my old Webley Vulcan (had a mainspring) so was shooting around 11-12ftlb. Although it put the hare down, and seriously wounded it in the head, due to the shape of the hares head and the intense force exerted by the dome-headed pellet hitting square-on it was not dead, and in fact was screaming like a baby. I've known two people hand in their rifles (old guys) when they have shot hares and heard them scream with a miss-placed shot. I learnt a long time ago not to shoot animals without the right amount of fire-power!

So who-ever earlier in this thread said that their air rifle can penitrate 3/4 ply - so can my foot. The density's are different, surfaces, and shock character are completely different. Shooting a hares head is like shooting a 3" round stone (that moves).

Having said that - l would use either my HV 4's / or 3's 36g (12G) - failing that my Yellow jackets i my Rimmy at no further than 70 yards - anything further than that lives to next year when l get my inbetweeny rifle...

T

As for the piddly air gun comment, the objectors need to try a .243 and then try and argue they aren't just an ittsy bit pathetic in comparison :good:

Never seen a comment disappear up its' own rsole until now :hmm:

might aswell argue that I've shot a punt gun so 12g shotties are all **** and only fit for kids

Am I the only one who has a significant objection to shooting hares with a piddly little air rifle?

Treat the damned animal with a bit of respect and use a shotgun with an appropriately heavy load. Something like 36g #4s as a minimum. Better still, use a .22 centrefire.

gotta say fella, im with you! treat your quarry with respect and if you are going to kill a animal make sure you have got the right tool!

I say leave the hares alone - they are not a problem like rabbits as thay eat a minute ammount and dont "bread like rabbits" and I personally would like to see them running around - and I am about as far from beeing a tree hugger as you can get.

As far as using an air rifle - I agree with Baldrick - don't believe the hype about how good they are for hunting - most of the ranges some people claim for air rifle shots I wouldn't consider for a .22 rimfire!

I say leave the hares alone - they are not a problem like rabbits as thay eat a minute ammount and dont "bread like rabbits" and I personally would like to see them running around - and I am about as far from beeing a tree hugger as you can get.

As far as using an air rifle - I agree with Baldrick - don't believe the hype about how good they are for hunting - most of the ranges some people claim for air rifle shots I wouldn't consider for a .22 rimfire!

well then, you must be a **** shot at 35 ft.

Edited by martinmoreton

Its not the 35yard shots I find hard to believe or have problems with , it wasn't a dig at all airgunners just the ones that claim long rage shots ie 75yards ( yes I can take 75yard shots with a rim fire before you ask!) - and yes I probably am **** shot at 35yards as I haven't shot any thing that close ( other than pigeons in a barn ) for years!

Fellow shooters,

Please there has been some very good and rude comments on this post.

Can we all agree that Hares are large beasts for air gunners at non FAC limits unless they are very close, and that Rim/centre fire shots are very clean effective shots.

Please if you are unsure as to if you will wound or kill do not take the shot.

Lets put this to bed and read and understand all the positives and negatives.

Good shooting and always aim for the head. If you miss it gets away!

Happy new year to you all.

Kent

• 2 months later...