What 4x4 can be classed as a van

malkiserow

The crew cab pick ups are still classed as commercial vehicles as far as I know although the tax man was trying to implement some changes to them. The Iveco Massif is out next year, very similar to a Defender but more refined and comfortable apparently, not sure of other vans.

There seems to be a shortage of 4 x 4 vans now a days, I wonder why Daihatsu dont do a 4 x 4 apart from the Terios and why Suzukin never put a bigger engine in the Jimny and stopped making the van version, my van is almost due for replacement and I wouldnt mind a smaller 4 x 4 van and getting rid of my Merc 4 x 4 as well.

Just thought, there is a SWB Shogun van.

Edited by Andy W

As you used the word "older" in your OP, you might be looking for a used motor - and you mentioned the Jimny. There is a little known Shogun Pinin almost as small as a Jimny made as a van which has difflock/high and low ratios.

I have not been able to find any with a quick search - but you'll get to read a few reviews via Google.

Edited by Dave-G

Regarding the Mitsi Pinin, in my opinion it was not nice, I test drove a 5 door version on a 55 plate called the warrior, it was really nice looking, alloy wheels, paper thin leather seats, selectable 4 wheel drive, 2 litre diesel, everything I was looking for in a shooting cart but it drove just awful, I actually felt sick after a 10 minute test drive, no other car has ever made me feel like that before, very peculiar.

Funny you should say that - fleabag reckons mine makes him feel sick when he's a passenger in my SWB Pinin. I don't feel sick as the driver or passenger. It was a darned firm ride with the factory fitted "mostly road" tyres though till I put some mud tyres on it and aired them down a bit. Maybe thats why he feels bad. :lol:

I am taking delivery of my land rover discovery 3 on sat its a commercial, but taxed as an ordinary car, the log book will stay ordinary too, but i have all the benefits that come with a commercial vehicle. :lol:<_<

So it's a christening on Sunday then... maybe where I almost got your Paj stuck in :lol:

I am taking delivery of my land rover discovery 3 on sat its a commercial, but taxed as an ordinary car, the log book will stay ordinary too, but i have all the benefits that come with a commercial vehicle. :lol:<_<

taxed in what way as a normal car?

My L200 pays commercial road tax that keeps it exempt from flash's massive increases that were planned

remember that any commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight of over 2000KG is bound to the lower speed limits of 50 on Single Carriageways and 60 on Dual Carriageways. this will include landrover commercials and any pickup commericals.

This came up in 'Honest John' in the Telegraph ages ago. Double cabs and Landies are commercials for taxation but not subject to the restrictions you mention.

taxed in what way as a normal car?

My L200 pays commercial road tax that keeps it exempt from flash's massive increases that were planned

Because the lr3 started its life as a seven seat-er car and has been converted to a commercial i still have to tax the car as normal but get the advantages and full vat allowance now as a certified commercial, including the huge tax disk bill, all i have to do is lift the board out, lift the seats up and away i go normal car. board back in, commercial. don't ask me how it just is that way.

I have been looking at getting a 4x4 as my next company car, but and it’s a big but.

The company car tax works on emissions. The higher the emissions the higher the tax banding. This applies if you work for a company not if you are self employed.

You should also take into account that this tax will only go up year on year as it is classed as a benefit.

4x4’s for the purposes of company cars tax are classed as cars. This law was changed a couple of years ago because lots of people were getting 4x4’s as company cars.

The road fund licence is also about to go up next year according to emissions.

Find out what the tax cost is first.

FC.

I have been looking at getting a 4x4 as my next company car, but and it’s a big but.

The company car tax works on emissions. The higher the emissions the higher the tax banding. This applies if you work for a company not if you are self employed.

You should also take into account that this tax will only go up year on year as it is classed as a benefit.

4x4’s for the purposes of company cars tax are classed as cars. This law was changed a couple of years ago because lots of people were getting 4x4’s as company cars.

The road fund licence is also about to go up next year according to emissions.

Find out what the tax cost is first.

FC.

Just because its a 4x4 won't make any difference to the tax you pay your quite right. A 4x4 commercial however is totally different and thats taxed at £185 per year. There are no plans to increase this