Lone lamping ?

Salop Matt

Hay folks heres a quick question........... When out lamping alone what method do you use for carrying your kit ? I normally shove stuff in my pockets but its clumsy and uncomfortable.

My lamp for the air rifle seems to eat batterys these days so a second battery is a must for any decent sessions out, but by the time i have rifle, game bag, ammo, lamp, 2 batteries, knife and phone its a good weight and the batterys in belt puches always seem to try and pull my trousers down.

Full pockets are a real pain when getting down onto a Bi pod without something digging in.

Do any of you use a small back pack or load carrying device of some kind ? There has to be an esayr way <_<

Organisation.

First thing you need is a backpack with wide shoulder straps. Get a new battery with a higher amp rating, it sounds to me like the ones you're using either don't hold enough amps or are getting knackered. When I'm out with the .223 I've also got a 20amp battery, up to five different calls some nights, a knife, a rangefinder, ear defenders, a hat, phone in a belt pouch, camera, extra cartridges in an ammo pouch on my belt, bolt holster on my belt.

The way to work your smaller gear is the old saying "Everything has a place, and everything in it's place", have a pocket for everything, sort yourself out a system so if you need your knife you know exactly where it is without having to think about it. Cargo style cammo pants are good, you can get them a couple of sizes bigger to go over the clothing you already wear. You can get a belt pouch for your phone to keep it out of the way, same for the knife if you wish, I know a guy who could likely make one for you.

I suspect the game bag is the real source of the trouble here, but you need it. Depending on how many rabbits you average a night if you find the right backpack with two main compartments that may well do. Other than that would a game carrier suit better than an actual bag?

I do the vast majority of my foxing alone on foot.

Edited by JohnGalway

Whatever works for ya <_< I'd go for the cargo pants. My jacket just had two pockets. You don't seem to have too many items going out with you so it shouldn't be hard to find something suitable. I find Ebay good for the cheap ex military camo gear. A lot of the time I just use work trousers under waterproofs.

Edited by JohnGalway

I just bought a british army respirator bag for holding my lamping batteries :lol:

You can fit 2 x 12v7ah batteries in it and It has other small various pockets.

You can either wear It around your waist or as a small back pack.

They are on flea bay for around £8 <_<

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=190256641650

jase.

Edited by weejase

The way to work your smaller gear is the old saying "Everything has a place, and everything in it's place", have a pocket for everything, sort yourself out a system so if you need your knife you know exactly where it is without having to think about it.

This is excellent advice :lol:

Shortly after I first started going out lamping on my own (rabbiting with a rimmie) I had used up a mag of ammo and then went to reload... no ammo! <_<

I could have sworn I brought extras.... but could I find it?

I packed up and went home where I remembered I was wearing different trousers and had poured a load of spare rounds into one of thigh pockets under a pair of gloves :lol:

Now I have a fixed routine before going out the door.... ammo goes in the usual pocket, FAC/SGC goes in the usual pocket, knife goes in its usual pocket etc etc.

The other lesson I learnt real fast was consolidation of kit! The majority of my shooting is also done alone on foot and the first few times I went out I had two batteries on a belt (I had gone OTT and ordered batteries way bigger than I actually needed), hand lamp, bipod, sticks, rifle, game bag and all sorts of extra kit for all possible eventualities!

There is nothing more annoying than faffing about in the dark with all your hands full of kit. It seems like a good idea to be prepared for every possible outcome but in the end your excess kit ends up working against you and it is uncomfortable, tiring and frustrating! I have now ditched the huge batteries and use a single smaller one better matched to the amount of use. I wear the belt with the battery on the small of my back so I can lie down comfortably, get into my side pockets easily and not catch the rifle whilst slinging/unslinging. The hand lamp was ditched in favour of a decent, lightweight scope mounted lightforce that can be easily slipped on and off the scope (that frees up a hand). It's now sticks OR bipod depending on the terrain (that frees up another hand!). If it's marginal then I'll use a 25" bipod and kneel for the shot. Better this than be constantly switching between sticks and bipod.

If feasible I'll try and plan my route so that I come back the same way. Then, instead of carrying the game bag, I can just carry some pre-cut strings (like for a game shoot). Then I can just string them up out of reach of foxy and collect on the way back.

Generally it's a case of working out a routine that is comfortable and works for you so you can get on with concentrating on the shooting. :lol: