Fox loads

Theres a good reason for me using the shotgun, safety, to many houses and main roads arround the shoot, Obviously a .243 wood be ideal but not practical in my case. I also like getting the foxes up close with a call.By the way hammergun did you mean the choke slug or lead ball, full choke is more than adequate to 40 yards.

I,ve shot and killed many foxes lamping, from wheat fields being harvested and on organised fox drives.

Most shots are within 30 yards.

I normally use 36 gm Alphamax No4 shot, with full or three quarter choke.

However, I have "accidently" come upon foxes and killed them with various loads, shot sizes and chokes, most commonly 30 gm No6,s in half or a quarter choke.

Like most successful shots, if the range is right for your "combination", you will be successful.

i go out with a small pack of fox hound about once a month they use the hounds to push the foxes out of the woods to awaiting guns when i go i use express 32gm no.2 and have not yet had the problem of a hit fox carrying on. but most the guns use 36gm no.4 :)  :D

I use any load that's to hand if a fox appears. They drop easily with no6 shot. I suppose if I ever went out specifically for fox, I would choose no4 shot.

MAJ, you can lawfully discharge a shotgun at any time of day or night, but obviously at whatever time it must not cause alarm or distress, etc,etc,etc.

Game, of course, cannot be shot at night.

I was just wondering, do most gun shops sell bb and big shot sizes. I want to shoot foxs but can only use a shot gun

(Theres been one patroling the garden after mums ducks). Will I have to have to have a 12 Bore lent to me or is 20 Bore ok? Or not big enough? Im gessing you aim just behing the sholder or head of Mr Fox?    :)

Hi Big Dave, you worry me when you keep disappearing, nice of you to "pop in"   :)

A lot will depend on the range you will be shooting at.

If within 25 yards or so, then No4 shot and a 32gm load will usually work.

I,m not sure how heavy the 20 bore loads go, obviously the heavier the better.

I tend to aim behind the shoulder/front legs , thats where the heart is and its the biggest part of the target.

Another tip, if you want your Mum to continue putting sugar on your cornflakes, don,t miss the fox and hit the ducks. :D  :(