Landrover Freelander

haggis

As above. If you visit the Landyzone website you would be put off for life. They don't like Freelanders as they say its not a real Landrover and often refer to them as Gaylanders. However they do have some good information. The early ones did have problems ,in particular the 1.8 petrols(Head Gasket failure), but I am really pleased with mine. It does everything I want it to do and has made my shootig life more interesting this year. And its a 1.8!

Hamish

I had a 2000 millenium edition 1.8 Freelander petrol.. It was a lovely motor apart from the Head Gasket failures x 2 within a year..Also something to watch is the viscous coupling unit and the intermediate reduction drive. If on full lock at slow speed a knocking /grinding noise is heard there is a problem developing.. Also be prepared to lose serious money on them. I paid 12k for mine 5 years ago and when trading it in only got 1200 quid.

The later diesel models are supposed to be ok though. I got to the stage where i didnt like getting the inside of my everyday car getting full of mud and stuff from my shooting gear so got myself a BMW as a family car and a cheap MOD landy for shooting , no carpets to worry about and if it gets muddy and bloody just hose it out

I have a 2002 1.8 petrol and have had the standard head gasket problem caused by the meltdown of the cooling fan matrix.

Luckily took out a warranty (£300) when I brought it and it has all been covered under that.

Can get them pretty cheap now, mine is the ES with leather interior, heated seats etc and I paid £3,500 for it.

With hindsight I would pay a bit more and get a diesel Discovery if I did it again but I'm happy with the Freelander for now.

The 1.8 head gasket problem has been resolved now with a better quality head gasket and head spacer. Unfortunately you will need the gasket to fail to benefit from this new gasket set.

955i, what is a cooling fan matrix?

LB

Apparently it's the little box of tricks that tells the fan when to come on. Probably has another name but that's what the garage referred to it as.

So in old language it is a thermostatic switch which should be less than £5 !!! give it a fancy name and hello Christmas Bonus :mad:

Probably spot on :lol:

However, they showed me the microfiche for it and the part was £160 from LR so who knows

Edited by 955i