Whats The Best Shotgun

Dyna494

Hi, What is the best 12g over and under shotgun for sporting clays? I sent of for my licence last week so I need to gather as much info as possible.

Are different guns better suited to different people and why? Are certain makes considered better than others?

This will be my first shot gun so what do I need to look out for?

Edited by Dyna494

Depends on your height/size brownings are made slightly longer in the stock so suit taller and longer armed people and beretta fit most average/smaller people. Also a major factor is how much money you want to spend the sky is the limit .Goto holland and holland shooting school as they have a try gun that they can adjust so as to get your exact measurements cost about 100 for a hour, worth it I reckon.Browning 525's are a good gun to start with or a beretta 686/682.Above all have some lessons with a pro to set you right from the start or it'l take you a long time trust me on this I know.

Haggis.

There's no easy answer to your question, it's very much a matter of opinion, which varies greatly.

I'm afraid height & size have nothing to do with it, any shotgun can be adapted to suit pretty much any size of person.

As haggis has said, what is your budget, are you prepared to spend between five & ten grand on a Krieghoff, or is fifteen hundred quid about your limit...??

Cat.

And of course there is absolutely no need to spend £1500 on your first gun - you might hate clay shooting :good:

I would recommend you spend between £450-£700 on a second hand Beretta/Browning/Miroku. Go to a good gun shop and tell them you're after a starter gun for clays and tell them what you are thinking of spending. The beauty of used Berettas and Brownings is that they hold their used prices rather well, so if you do take to clay shooting and want to upgrade to a go-faster shotgun at £1500 plus, you won't have lost much, if anything, on your first gun when you trade it in.

I started off with a Baikal russian tank buster cheap as chips to see if it was for me,you'l like it I reckon.Guns can be made to fit anyone but standard from new the measurement do differ,have a lesson from somone rcomended by a shop or local shooting ground thet can advise you best mate get the yellow pages out!!

Haggis again :good:

go to dereck Lee gun shop Lincolnshire tel him Rob sent you, buy a PERAZZI YOU WILL FLY TO ITALIAN have it made for you £6000, when you get it back home, see Robert Jobson at www.whiteLodge.com in Lincolnshire, shooting school tel him rob sent you spend £500 & let me know if it was all worth it. I bet you will say YES YES YES better than sex.

:good:

Or go to your local clay p club get 10 people to tel you, you are behind it, or in front of it, no word of your feet, stance, or how to address a target, and you will never shoot well. get it right now, with or with out the Perazzi, & you will be saff, and inprove day by day. manny can tel you, only a few can teach you.

Edited by topguns

I am a newby myself mate and I only have ever shot with one brand O/U (several shotguns) but I swear by Miroku. I bought a nice second hand MK70 for ££750 a month ago, shot around 500 cartridges and a smile is now permanent on my face. I recommend them without any second thoughts.

Edited by Psyxologos

I'm one of them tall, long armed freaks and Brownings suit me. I also get on with Miroku's. Off the peg Brownings are just that bit longer and a better fit. I have had all my guns fitted and my game gun is 1/6inch shorter to allow for a fleece and a coat. I've used a number of Beretta's 686, 687, 682 and tekynes S/A which were also fitted and they just weren't for me. Don't be tempted to stray outside Miroku, Browning, Beretta and Caesar Guerini. January is a good month to buy a gun as is the end of the game season. There are those that turn their attention to clays and let there game guns go in a trade in. I suspect they'll be a few good secondhand bargains to to had if you can wait a short time.

Edited by Whitebridges

You can do whatever people tell you to do and end up regreting it. Spend £6000, spend £50000 on a gun, it doesn't make the slightest differance.

What ever you learn't to shoot with that will always have a special place and you will always compare that with any gun you shoot with in the future.

Buy whatever you are used to using and after a while let your own experience guide you. :bye2:

• 1 month later...
The most expensive one there is is obviously the best... why would it cost so much otherwise? :no: :no:

The one that you shoot straight with is best, unless you want it to show up your shooting buddies then spend your savings :no:

i am fairly new to this but can say i have had a few guns some more expensive and some a lot less, the gun that i shoot straight with is a £150 AYA yeoman and is about the only gun i ever shoot clays or game, choked at 1/4 and 3/4 i hit as much as i do /did with more expensive O/U's with choke that should mean i hit more clays but i just didn't/don't

as said it is a total minefield, if i only offer one bit of advixce it would be for gods sake dont buy new and dont go too expensive, i am in the process of having stocks altered to the same dimensions as my Yeoman beacuse that one fits, above choke, carts or anything else i belive gun fit is the most important

• 2 weeks later...