How do I cure or preserve a foxes tail?

SAVAGE HMR

depends how you took the tail off.

if you just cut it off, put it in meths or turps for a few weeks. if you used the two stick method rub a load of salt into in and it'l be fine. a farmer friend of mine tried to air dry them and they just rotted down to bone with hairs falling out

I took one of a shot fox last night.

I find the best thing to do is give them away so they can stink someon elses house/shed out rather than mine :good:

Left it in the car over night and forgot about it. Took the mrs to work with the bairn and I got a right rollocking this morning.

Took it straight round to a mates.

Didnt help that I pressed on the fox while my mate was taking it off and the contents of its bladder promptly ( vixen ) discharged all over it ;)

To remove and cure a fox tail

1 shoot your fox

2 cut round the tail skin close to its vent

3 get two pieces of stick ,about as thick as your little finger about 6 inches long

4 put the sticks each side of the tail where you cut it,grip the sticks on both ends so that you make sort of a fox tail sandwich and pull upwards keeping the sticks tight together as you pull.The result will be the tail skin will pull of leaving the bone connected to the carcass.

5 Wash the now skinned brush in cold soapy water and let it air dry .

6 Go to the chemist or some BOOTS stores and get yourself a packet of BORAX POWDER (about £2 and will do about 20 brushes).

7 Open up the hole where the bone came from and with a bit of strong wire poke borax down the hole making sure it gets right down to the end.

8 When its full i usually cut a piece of wood so that it plugs the hole in the end tap in a couple of tacks so it wont fall out and thats it ,Hang it up in the shed and leave it for 3 weeks or so take out the wood plug empty out exess borax and put a decent piece of wood in the end to make a smart handle ------Hey Presto you have a profesional looking trophy as good as any taxidermist would sell you (take it from me i used to be one )

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 29/12/2008 at 08:53, verminer said:

then what???

Open end of tail fill with meth in sealed container,let soak for 4 weeks rinse meth out with warm water shampoo with Mrs fox's shampoo to stop the smell,hair dry,use a bullet insert it in tail opening glue completely around hole to seal drill hole in bullet install key ring for hanging there you go.....

On 23/12/2008 at 22:58, SAVAGE HMR said:

Does anyone know how I would cure a fox tail?

I shot my first fox the other day and want to

keep the tail but I'm not sure how best to cure

or preserve the tail without it rotting away or

just smelling really bad.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Well...... how's the tail looking/smelling now..... 13 years after shooting it?