moor hen

pluckers son

pluckers son.

I think that nearly, if not all the birds on the quarry list are edible. What they taste like is another matter. The biggest loss IMO is the Curlew wonderful meat on it. Two large enlongated breast fillets just begging to be cooked. A delight that sadly we are not allowed anymore.

When you think of the list of birds that used to be shot and eaten. Redshank,Greenshank, lapwing and of course the curlew, to name but a few. some of these birds deserved to be taken off the quarry list not through over shooting, but through habitat changes causing a decline in their numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
:/ don`t do it they taste AWFUL and I eat lots of odd stuff(please insert your course replies in following threads !) :lol:

I only ever tried eating Moorhen once- it was so bitter tasting even the dog wouldn't touch it.

They are not even much fun to shoot. A high bird is anything above your knees ???

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Debatable (or maybe not) about how sporting a bird they are to shoot but you can eat them. I seem to remember that they need skinning as it's the skin that gives them such an awful taste. Mind you if it eats in the dirt at the bottom of a s***** pond what can you expect :D If you're that hungry maybe you should visit MacD's :/

Is the Moorhen a "gamebird"?

I do see them on a shoot I have but never considered them legal quarry. I know they don't do much harm and wouldn't want to make a habit of shooting them for no reason at all BUT if one were to have an "accident" then for purely "research" purposes I would eat it just to see what it is like.

However before I do anything I want to check the legality of it and double check with the land owner. Don't want to pull a moody now do I?