Tufted Duck( can i eat it )

darren m

Yes Darren M you can eat them the best way of cooking them is to put them in a large pot with a stone on the bottom of the pot. Boil for 4 hrs then throw the duck away and eat the stone it will taste better ;).

Seriously though sounds like you had a great mornings flight. :lol:

yes mate it was a good morning.

the canada geese are hugh ( and probably well tuff ) , dont know what i,m doing with them yet ( stew / soup ).

the grey lag and little teal are for the roasing pot , i think .

BUT its this Tufted duck , have you ever tried eating it.

never shot one before , starting to wish i had,nt if i cant use it.

ANYONE know if its edible asnd ok to eat , or shall i chuck it.

Hi Darren, was reliably informed by our local game dealer when I asked this question recently that wildfowl want dressing ASAP, apparently geese hold their temperature and can go off very quickly.

Plucked a Canada, three pheasants and dressed 3 rabbits this morning, another tip the guy gave me which has REALLY made goose plucking easier...........wear a pair of marigolds !!!. I kid you not, the difference was unbelievable, go on, give it a go and tell me I'm wrong.

yes mate it was a good morning.

the canada geese are hugh ( and probably well tuff ) , dont know what i,m doing with them yet ( stew / soup ).

the grey lag and little teal are for the roasing pot , i think .

BUT its this Tufted duck , have you ever tried eating it.

never shot one before , starting to wish i had,nt if i cant use it.

ANYONE know if its edible asnd ok to eat , or shall i chuck it.

Darren, try this site it may help

Hi Darren. Its quite simple you dress a duck the same as a goose and you dress a goose the same as a chicken. Basicly you pluck it ( by the way i would give old roosters tip a go i have never tried it but it sounds fesable) then cut around the vent draw all the innards out, cut off the head, feet and i always cut of the wings. wash it, rub salt into the skin and its ready for roasting.

Darren,

Just finished skinning a brace of pheasants I got at the weekend, so will give this a go for you.

For the geese pluck them outside or in the garage (not in the house if your married :) and want to stay that way.:lol: )

Once plucked I then cut off the skin round the legs and break them at the joint and remove the feet and legs.

Chop off the neck and head as close as poss to the body. Next slit the ******** to a size big enuf to stick your hand in & then pull out all that is inside.

Wash the inside till water runs clear. Now give it to the missus to cook ;) or put in the freezer. :D :( .

As for cooking usually roast the geese, but for ducks and pheasants skin them and caserole them.

hope this helps,if not ask again and I'll try to sort out some better instructions.

Trev

Canada, baked like a chicken is excellent eating, always hang like game to mature the meat for 4/5 days in a cold place, the meat is dark brown like beef, I had one for xmas dinner, you can also use the neck skin like a sausage and stuff with the heart, liver and kidneys mixed with stuffing and stitched at each end then fried or baked,

Don’t be afraid to get the needle and thread out to repair any skin tears and make the birds look neater for the table,

To finish of my birds after plucking I flash over them with a plumbers blow torch to get rid of un wanted down or tufts and rub away the singed bits with my hand, don’t keep the lamp still or you will burn the skin and it shrinks! Always do this prior to removing the gut.

The best advice I get is from that TV chef on sky at river cottage Hugh Farley Whitingstall his books on game preparation and cooking are very useful

pavman

I shot a couple of Tufteds a few years back and ate one... it was grot. tasteless and no more meat on it than a budgie

I have avoided shooting them since. I have just had a word with a game dealer friend who is the great oracle when it comes to wildfowl and he said they are generally not palatable. Mallard, Widgeon, & Teal are the best in that order apparently.

also Canada he says should be gutted and hung for at least a week. The entrails should be removed from wild birds as they depart an acrid taste to the flesh as they decompose internally. Ugh..... I.... I.... I think Im going to be sick . Ughaghahhhhhhhhhh :lol:

FM.

cheers lads for all the replys.

i,ve breasted the ducks , and the canada's ( massive steaks) i think this time i'll just cassorole them all together , simplist way.

BUT what about the greylag , its a nice one young-ish and tender.

what shall i do with it ?( think i can just about manage another christmas dinner) .