mightyrover

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant2/m...ry_Code=C-015-6

Manufacture "Configuration Types" of the Citori

Pre Type 1 ---Manufactured 1973 through 1976

Type 1 ---Manufactured 1977 Only

Type 2 ---Manufactured 1978 through 1982

Type 3 ---Manufactured 1983 through present

What "Configuration Type", "Tang Style", and "Forearm Bracket" is your Citori?

1. Locating your serial number

The true complete serial number of the Citori can only be found underneath of the TOP LEVER. All other numbers represent production sequence only and are used by the factory to denote what barrel set is paired with an individual receiver. See figure 1-A to locate the top lever on your firearm.

(Figure 1-A)

2. Reading Your Serial Number

Below use the chart to determine the manufacture year of your Citori

Date Historic Information Serial Number Info

1973-75 In 1969 Browning started using two digits for the date of manufacture which was followed by on of the following codes:

H=12 ga.

N=20ga.

Later the code was changed to J=both gauges

This was then followed by the serial number beginning with 00001.

Example: 00001H37 = A 1973 Citori 12 ga. shotgun with a serial number of 00001. H=12 ga.

N=20 ga.

Later the code was changed to J=both gauges

1976-1997 In 1975 Browning standardized its serial number identification which it follows to the present day.

1. Production Sequence Number

beginning with 01001

at the start of each year.

2. Date of Manufacture

is a two digit code Z=1

Y=2

X=3

W=4

V=5

T=6

R=7

P=8

N=9

M=0

Serial

Number Example:

1000RT153

This would be a Citori manufactured in 1976 with the production sequence number 01001.

1999 In 1998 Browning redid the standardization of its serial number identifications to work with its new data base program, Oracle.

1. Serial Number

beginning with 01001

at the start of each year.

2. Date of Manufacture

is a two digit code Z=1

Y=2

X=3

W=4

V=5

T=6

R=7

P=8

N=9

M=0

3. Citori Type 131=All Citori Shotguns

Serial

Number Example:

01001NN131

This would be a Citori Shotgun, manufactured in 1999 with the serial number 01001

Using the above chart you should now be able to distinguish if your Citori is Pre Type 1, Type 1, Type 2, or Type 3

Pre Type 1 - Manufactured from 1973 - 1976

Type 1 - Manufactured only in 1977

Type 2 - Manufactured from 1978 through 1982

Type 3 - Manufactured from 1983 - Present

• 9 months later...
Does anybody know if I can tell the age of a Jap manufactured Classic Doubles - believed to be manufactured by Miroku, or is this not possible? Serial number CB2914.

Cheers,

Mike

This http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/EveryGun/Gu...ail.aspx?id=239 is all I could find.

Vic Harker was one person involved with Classic Doubles guns but I don't know how to contact him.

• 9 years later...
On 05/11/2009 at 15:25, BlaserF3 said:

This http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/EveryGun/Gu...ail.aspx?id=239 is all I could find.

Vic Harker was one person involved with Classic Doubles guns but I don't know how to contact him.

Look at the proof date stamp as all Japanese made guns would have been proofed in either Birmingham or London .

There were some that were imported through Germany and would have been German proofed but these are very few and far between .

Classic Doubles was a name used by several people on both sides of the Atlantic .The name was used on Japanese and Italian made guns . I was under the impression that the ones I have seen in the UK were made by Nikko/Winchester rather than Miroku . 

Edited by Gunman

They were indeed made by Winchester.

In any case, the Winchester 101 was not built in the USA or Europe but in Japan in the Olin-Kodensha plant which was part-owned by Olin Industries. At the time it was a parent corporation of Winchester.

The same Japanese factory also built another three guns specifically for the European market –  the 5000, 6500 and 8500. The 8500 reached the UK in the late 1980s and was sold under the Classic Doubles name.

Read more at https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/secondhand-winchester-shotgun-review#i5fw02pvF7mZlvMx.99

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 11/01/2020 at 22:13, john f said:

I have a miroku serial number 576987 is there any chance someone could give me an idea what model it is and how old.

There's no way to tell. Model can be almost figured out from looking at the action, though there seems to be some overlap. The age can be fairly close if you look at the proof marks.

It's Pre-1975 if it's not got letter at the end of the SN denoting the year.

Just done the same exercise with mine!

• 3 months later...