It's official I'm addicted

scottish_lass

I had my first falconry day yesterday, at Strathblane Falconry.

It was incredible, I think I'm addicted now, I'm hoping to go again in a couple of weeks.

Graham(apologies if i;m spelling your name wrong) at Strathblane was wonderful, such a great guy, very very knowledgeable about his birds, the quarry, the land he hunts on.

He showed so much respect to the quarry, his birds, other hunters, and the horseriders that reguarly passed by.

We went out around 10 or so, took spey, a beautiful harris hawk, and two ferrets.

We didn't get anything at all from the first 5 warrens, though there were plenty of rabbit droppings about(the area was hit pretty badly hit by myxomatosis last year so while theres a fair amount of rabbits, theres nowhere near as many as the previous season)

We moved on to a small wood, after 2 warrens, the ferrets bolted a rabbit quickly, which only just got away, went into the next field and curved round.

Some time later , Spey began to chase something in the field the rabbit had gone into it, we went into the field, beat through the rushes but couldn;t kick anything up, Grahame suggested it could have been a hare which crept away, or of course possibly our rabbit.

We moved onto another warren, and after 10 minutes or so, Graham decided the ferret and the rabbit were fighting underground, he dug them out , the rabbit bolted, spey was perfectly positioned in the tree above and the rabbit didn;t get far before spey had him.

He was a really large rabbit, and obviously enjoyed good eating, as was evident by the amount of fat in the body, covering the organs to, when gutted.

I managed to walk straight into a bog at one point, almost up to my knees, all part of the fun lol.

We moved onto another much hillier area, and hunted there, but didn;t see anything and the hawks and ferrets were becoming tired, after 4 plus hours out, so we called it a day.

I'd highly reccomend Strathblane falconry to anyone, and will be booking up for another hunting day very soon.

PS apologies for the long post.