How did we get on today? 2009 edition.

:hmm:

Was on for a 48/50 at White Bear until I got to the last stand and missed the last two pairs. I think I was celebrating a little too early. :D 44/50. Utterly ashamed of myself. Please feel free to call me a total, complete and utter, count without the 'o'.

Won't be rushing to go back there, it's quite quaint, but not my cup of tea.

Someone mentioned the White Bear today. Is that the scrap yard shoot where you win your pick of a knackered washing machine for getting high gun?

Sounds like you had a pretty good shoot Peter. Shame about the end, ya count :lol:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh yes, but were there any orange ones? :D ?

yes....all the ones I MISSED..............................

Peter, Mung and the baglady shot out of thier skins today!!!!! And if Chris hasnt shot clays for 20 years he is one to watch out for!!!!

And Fatcatsplat....he may not have hit that many but bloody hell, can that boy hit them on the drop....I wish i could do that!!!!!

I couldnt shoot for **** today but 56 at copfurn considering how **** the first 5 stand were wasnt bad lol. :hmm:

Someone mentioned the White Bear today. Is that the scrap yard shoot where you win your pick of a knackered washing machine for getting high gun?

:hmm: That's Shrove Hill. Looks like you're in the middle of a #### camp site. :D I go there fairly often as it's convenient and cheap, plus I and our colt get a free round when we win our class.

:hmm: Whens the next one dude? id be interested in playing, its quite a challenging shoot and has some nice varying targets, despite the surroundings................i particularly liked the stand over the pile of computers!!!

Mung shot a brilliant round last time we went, 72 i think he shot.....................

:hmm: Whens the next one dude? id be interested in playing, its quite a challenging shoot and has some nice varying targets, despite the surroundings................i particularly liked the stand over the pile of computers!!!

Mung shot a brilliant round last time we went, 72 i think he shot.....................

Mung is better than I thought!! It's only a 70 bird shoot! :D

It's on every other Sunday, alternating with White Bear. Shrove is on next Sunday.

http://www.shot-your-trap.co.uk/

Broken man....finally someone whos on my wave length!!! You understand how much of a handicap being colourblind really is!!!!!

Who was the c class bandit chris? Id be lucky to make the "newbie" class at Copfurn....I just cant get on with it!!!

Did a 20 on skeet on the way home which wasnt too bad considering I havent done skeet since I last shot with Paulos!!! :lol:

Been getting some cheeky practice in on the old skeet lark eh? Just need to remember to bring some tighter chokes for the ABT when you shoot at Northampton now! :P

Yesterday I had the shame of my first ever duck, a big fat zero as the opener on my scorecard. Went on to do better on what was supposedly a difficult course (apart from two stands I did better than my usual average), even managed to outshoot an experienced and well thought of shot on one of the skeet stands. So even with the duck, I was very pleased with my final result, as I've only been shooting for four months.

Rhiannon

Not good really, shot the second (I think it is) of two Handicap FITASC shoots at Lakenheath yesterday run by the notorious course setter J Dyson. I like the system he has which takes the score from a top class shooter (in this case Mark Winser I think) and then each entrant receives a number of targets based on the difference between their own CPSA average fitasc and the high score. In my case 14 targets. shot a 21X25 on the first layout which had my squad practically throwing the towels in. I warned them not to be too hasty and rightly proved it by posting a 13,11 and 19 so a gross 78. I think a gross 94 won it and that chap had a h/c of 7 so he shot well. Targets were tricky as ever with some dustbin lids presented which were blanked in the singles by two A class shots in my squad. £52 fee I know its pricey but I enjoy it and feel I stand a chance of taking a draw of the pot one day.

Cheers Boondock

Well, perhaps I ought to drink more Peroni if an Essex boy can shoot 90% after having a bellyfull, I'm afraid it has the opposite effect on me, I don't bother going if I've had a skinful, as I'm throwing good money after bad.

I went out after the woodies again today with young garyb, and put Nickbeardo in a nearby field, both gary & Nick shot well, but had to leave early for an afternoon of drunken debauchery at a restaurant somewhere, (end of season syndicate do). :yp:

I could see Nick's hide from where we were shooting, and he pulled down some real corkers, so he obviously enjoyed himself.

I was trying out my new toy, it was love at first sight when I picked it up at Country Pursuits yesterday, a Benelli Supersport Semi Auto, one of the high tech looking ones with a black stock and forend. It's dead light, and there's very little recoil, and it handles really quickly, I had some great fun with it, picked up 32 pigeons.

Can't wait to try it out on some serious clays next weekend if the weather's not right for pigeons, the only slight glitch was the trigger pulls, which are a tad heavier than my O/U, are they easy to adjust..??

Cat.

It's days like today that make a bloke want to give up shooting :yp:

Shot a comp at Catton Hall and I was ******* awful. I shot so badly that I didn't enjoy it, which is unusual. The weather was awkward but nothing unhittable, good targets in fact. Just couldn't get going at all, then saw my **** and made it worse :D

At least a lot of people seemed to be having a rough time as well.

Worst I've shot for years - literally :lol:

It's days like today that make a bloke want to give up shooting :yp:

Shot a comp at Catton Hall and I was ******* awful. I shot so badly that I didn't enjoy it, which is unusual. The weather was awkward but nothing unhittable, good targets in fact. Just couldn't get going at all, then saw my **** and made it worse :D

At least a lot of people seemed to be having a rough time as well.

Worst I've shot for years - literally :lol:

Mate, I got like this a while back so decided to have a month or two break,

went out today feeling reinvigorated and full of the joys of Spring (well nearly)

don't beat yourself up, this is supposed to be a "pastime"

went out today feeling reinvigorated and full of the joys of Spring (well nearly)

:yp:

Sound advice. I am always more "up for it" after a bit of a break.

ZB

I went to JJ's today for my first competition there and for some reason struggled a bit hitting 55 which is a lowly 65% - I'm only just getting back into clay shooting and struggling with my consistency, on my card I had one stand that went;

oo|xx|xo|xx|oo|xx - odd how you can lose a pair, then kill 5 of the next 6 then lose a pair and then kill the last pair :yp:

Oh well, I guess that's the difference between the ordinary shot and the top guys - they're consistent and they don't make silly mistakes.

Yes, maybe I'll knock it on the head for a few weeks.

I watched that Shotgun Magic DVD of John Bidwells last night :D . It's the one about his Move-Mount-Shoot technique. I thought I'd try it out, but not today.

Trouble is, I think I was subconsciously trying out bits of it, but not doing anything properly, so it was a bit of a Mount-Move-Pull Away-Pull Through-Miss technique :lol: . Probably screwed my shooting completely now :yp:

I've not shot many clays this Winter at all, given 'em more or less a complete lay off in preference to shooting pigeons.

A lay off does you good, Digweed doesn't shoot any clays from the end of October right through to the end of March, and it doesn't do him any harm. :yp:

Cat.

I've not shot many clays this Winter at all, given 'em more or less a complete lay off in preference to shooting pigeons.

A lay off does you good, Digweed doesn't shoot any clays from the end of October right through to the end of March, and it doesn't do him any harm. :yp:

Cat.

I'll give myself a break and then I should be ready for the Olympics in 2012 :lol:

Well, perhaps I ought to drink more Peroni if an Essex boy can shoot 90% after having a bellyfull, I'm afraid it has the opposite effect on me, I don't bother going if I've had a skinful, as I'm throwing good money after bad.

I went out after the woodies again today with young garyb, and put Nickbeardo in a nearby field, both gary & Nick shot well, but had to leave early for an afternoon of drunken debauchery at a restaurant somewhere, (end of season syndicate do). :yp:

I could see Nick's hide from where we were shooting, and he pulled down some real corkers, so he obviously enjoyed himself.

I was trying out my new toy, it was love at first sight when I picked it up at Country Pursuits yesterday, a Benelli Supersport Semi Auto, one of the high tech looking ones with a black stock and forend. It's dead light, and there's very little recoil, and it handles really quickly, I had some great fun with it, picked up 32 pigeons.

Can't wait to try it out on some serious clays next weekend if the weather's not right for pigeons, the only slight glitch was the trigger pulls, which are a tad heavier than my O/U, are they easy to adjust..??

Cat.

It wouldn't have been as bad if I had a bellyful, I only had a few bottles but felt like **** this morning. The first stand was a gentle going away pair which I missed 3 :lol: I then decided to get my act together and stright the next 3 stands.

I did try out my new toy as well, a stevens 79 pump. It is a tad short in the stock but it just brings a smile to your face when using it.

I went to JJ's today for my first competition there and for some reason struggled a bit hitting 55 which is a lowly 65% - I'm only just getting back into clay shooting and struggling with my consistency, on my card I had one stand that went;

oo|xx|xo|xx|oo|xx - odd how you can lose a pair, then kill 5 of the next 6 then lose a pair and then kill the last pair :yp:

Oh well, I guess that's the difference between the ordinary shot and the top guys - they're consistent and they don't make silly mistakes.

Same with me mate,

looking at my cards I can kill every bird on a layout but doing some of them even twice is beyond me. Like you I am coming back from a layoff (nearly 15 years) and it takes a while to get everything slotting back in where it should be. My scores are gradually going up as my gun mount becomes more consistant and the footwork and lead pictures start becoming natural and instinctive again rather than having to think about it.

Keep plugging away and you will find the more you shoot the more the eyes and the muscles will remember.

I found it quite good to have forgotten a lot of things as some of the bad habits have gone too :lol:

Fuzrat

Was with ChrisNicholls, B/Man and Mrs B/man today at JJs.

Of the 7 stands I scored 10 on 5 of them, missing two on each (they are 12 bird stands). More concentration needed - especially after 'no birds' which definitely put me off my stroke a couple of times today :yp:

Stand two caught a few of us out. Simmo pair - a quartering looping distanty type thing going right to left above a right to left crosser. Looked dodgy from outside the stand but once in the stand they looked positively easy (those that know JJs know you get a totally different view from inside the stand). No problem I thought, then missed 5 of the six loopers finishing the stand on a card killing 7 :lol:

Finished on 69 ex 84.

Edited by Bagsy