How did we get on today? 2009 edition.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit peeved today at my club, this guy was criticizing me and saying I should get some more lessons before coming to practice on tuesday since I only hit 7 out of 50, but I was happy hitting those since they were pretty hard I thought. I am sorry but lessons are £70 while tuesday and sunday practice are £16, I know which I will choose and I am also sorry I wasn't born ******* John Rambo like he was. He must have been amazing as a beginner.

Koz,

I would seriously think about a change of club if that is the attitude of the shooters. But i suppose there are numpties everywhere. It really annoys me that kind of attitude. Shooting is a hard enough sport to promote without the mindless few getting on at a newbie.

My missus has been shooting for about the same length of time as you and has only a slightly better average. She has shot some registered comps at Hornet, Four Counties and Northampton. She has had nothing but encouragement and helpful advice from everyone she has met including a few distinguished members from here and also from the claysporting site.

I agree with the general feeling that a couple of lessons may be in order, the missus did this to put the basics in place. As far as practice being cheaper than lessons there is no point in practicing bad habits you will never improve that way and without a lesson or 2 how will you know what good habits are. A cheap way to get some decent advice is put a post on the "meet up" section for fellow members in your area. A lot of the guys on here I'm sure would be more than happy to give you some basic pointers for the price of a bacon roll and a brew.

Above all as long as you are safe, who cares how many you hit (apart from yourself)

All the best Fuzrat :good:

Cat I'll do you a bullseye on an all round competition within 1 hour of Essex. I think Southend of all places runs one if you want somewhere neutral (I've not shot there).

We should also get Tosspot, Peter and MC to join us, and the dark horse Broken Man.

Should be a good do.

Mung, you've not read my post, it says "I don't like the format".

I'm not interested in shooting All Rounds nowadays, I can't get fired up about them at all, and from the end of March onwards the only discipline I will be shooting will be the Sporting disciplines of English Sporting, Sportrap and FITASC, thet'll keep me busy enough every weekend.

I'm more than happy to take on all comers at a Sporting event, why not Barrow Heath, or High Lodge, (I've already booked in to shoot the English Open there in early May, but I reckon you won't go for either, so that only leaves the Essex Masters, a good event, and a real test of shooting skill. :P

Who knows, we can all have off days, so let's have a nice purse to play for..?? :good:

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Mung, you've not read my post, it says "I don't like the format".

I'm not interested in shooting All Rounds nowadays, I can't get fired up about them at all, and from the end of March onwards the only discipline I will be shooting will be the Sporting disciplines of English Sporting, Sportrap and FITASC, thet'll keep me busy enough every weekend.

I'm more than happy to take on all comers at a Sporting event, why not Barrow Heath, or High Lodge, (I've already booked in to shoot the English Open there in early May, but I reckon you won't go for either, so that only leaves the Essex Masters, a good event, and a real test of shooting skill. :P

Who knows, we can all have off days, so let's have a nice purse to play for..?? :good:

Cat.

<Insert clucking chicken noise smiley>

So that's a no for a 100 bird "all rounder". I am not sure which bit of the "all rounder" you would object to? It seems like a good test of "all round" shooting skill?

We should do £50 each in a hat for a 100 bird all rounder. I am sure PDLM would be up for that as too MC, Tosspot and Broken Man. Even your agent would agree that could be a tidy earner even for a man of your calibre. We should offer it out to the fella that pipped PDLM by one (obviously make him cough a oner as the evens favourite).

Yup, it's deffo a no no for the All Rounders, you know I like shooting with all you guys, but I've no interest in them at all, got bigger fish to fry. :)

Are you doing Hepworth Hall this weekend, I'm sure they'll fit you in somewhere, or are we in for yet another Mung Masterbotler..?? :P

<Insert double clucking chicken noise smiley>

Cat. :good:

Eh? Let me get this straight....

You are suggesting I shoot a competition which you knew nothing about 24 hours ago and are suggesting I am a bottler if I don't go this Sunday, but at the same time you have fled an "all round" challenge which would be at a time and place of your choosing and have a pot in excess of £200?

Most interesting. Just out of interest, what is first prize at this Sunday's competition?

On an aside, I have not renewed my CPSA membership this year because it really is a waste of money. However, if this Sunday does not require CPSA membership then I shall try my hardest to attend.

Mungler, out of interest, why do you consider it a waste of money?

I have a BASC membership and so have insurance and give support to a professionally run organisation (and I can use those words) that actively supports the interests of shooters.

As for the CPSA, well I don't shoot registered competitions. Indeed, if you look through the CPSA listings there is not a registered ESP event in the whole of Essex for the whole year. Thus, when weighing up the difference to me between having a CPSA membership and having no CPSA membership, the net result is that the only difference between the two is being about £50 out of pocket.

I have a BASC membership and so have insurance and give support to a professionally run organisation (and I can use those words) that actively supports the interests of shooters.

As for the CPSA, well I don't shoot registered competitions. Indeed, if you look through the CPSA listings there is not a registered ESP event in the whole of Essex for the whole year. Thus, when weighing up the difference to me between having a CPSA membership and having no CPSA membership, the net result is that the only difference between the two is being about £50 out of pocket.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire Mung but there is 1 registered event in Essex in the whole year. The Essex Masters :good:

Pretty poor showing really and I can understand your position, seems Essex gets the thin end of the wedge there.

Fuzrat

Well Fuzz, up until now the Essex Masters has not been a Registered event, have the rules been changed for this year..??

There is normally one Sporting event a year that is Registered it's the Essex & Herts Sporting Championship, usually held in mid May at Hepworth Hall.

However, it's irrelevant whether or not there are grounds close to you that hold Registered events, there's hardly any in Herts, it's obviously a personal decision for each individual as to whether they really want to achieve something in the sport, and shoot at County or National level, or stick to the Sunday morning straw balers followed by a few pints down the local, there's plenty of room in this sport for both.

Cat.

Clacton Gun club does registered events but not sporting, they do Sportrap and skeet and sometimes all round so I assume they have some tarp layouts to cater for the watching paint dry types.

I am not sure what to do about my CPSA membership, I realise that they do nothing for the average club shooter but I have a bit of a hankering to do some registered shoots.

I would like to shoot the English open as it is almost on my doorstep. I am also thinking of doing the Benelli auto shoot as well.

Might be wrong, but doesn't clacton have registered shoots? A mate of mine is a ref there when he's not shooting himself :good:

SS

Don't think Clacton does ESP. It caters for Skeet and DTL and might do a small all rounder though.

But, in Essex, no dedicated Registered ESP for the whole year!?!!

Work that one out with so many grounds and decent course designers.

Hey ho, at least everyone knows that the Essex Masters is the most testing shoot in the year and it's in God's own County.

It did you are quite right,

However I have not been out today yet so cannot report on it. Unless you count walking the dog and getting the paper. If you do then yes I have been out and it was a very nice walk thanks.

I got the NOTW as it is the only one my missus will/can read but as it is covered in Jade Goody I will not bother.

Nothing to you hot shots I know but was well chuffed to get my first 25 straight at Skeet today - roll on the 100 !! :good::oops:

well, not many have done that on here. I've only manged 24 twice so far. Though I don't shoot it that often, or at all in some senses, twice in the last 5 months.

So, that's pretty damned good, do that in a CPSA comp and you can get a nice shiney badge....Whhooooo !!! :oops:

Sooooo.......back to the CPSA :oops:

Does any of this mean that we have to be fully paid up, card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool CPSA members with a fully paid-up, card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool CPSA classification to shoot the Essex Maestros? :good:

Edited by Chard

Sooooo.......back to the CPSA :oops:

Does any of this mean that we have to be fully paid up, card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool CPSA members with a fully paid-up, card-carrying, dyed-in-the-wool CPSA classification to shoot the Essex Maestros? :good:

No it doesn't.

The Essex masters is run by Essex Gun or it always has been. Last year was the only year I have shot it whilst being a member. You just roll up and pay your money and then go and shoot at some clays.

Incidentally back on track,

I did a 46/50 this morning. Not too testing a layout but easy enough to miss.